Sciencemadness Discussion Board
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: high energy ball mill? are they legit?
coppercone
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 28-5-2018 at 18:30
high energy ball mill? are they legit?

I see they sell so called high energy ball mills for making nanopowders, which is interesting to me, otherwise you need to do funny things to get nanodispersions.

Are they legit? My understanding is that a ball mill typically has a so called critical angular rotation where it is effectively having the most balls in grind mode, and that this produces the fastest grinding.. and that if you go above this velocity, the balls basically get stuck to the walls due to excessive centerfugal force, so there is less balls grinding.

When I saw the so called high energy ball mills, I thought it was a sham.. so whats going on?

I see some of them do elliptical motions and stuff, which maybe effects things, but like, can they do somethign that a regular mill cannot do?

[Edited on 29-5-2018 by coppercone]
Bert
Super Administrator

Mood: " I think we are all going to die. I think that love is an illusion. We are flawed, my darling".

[*] posted on 29-5-2018 at 10:32

They exist. They work. The parameters for speeds of carrier disk and the individual counter rotating mill jars are very dependant on characteristics of the materials in the mill charge.

See here:

http://www.understandingnano.com/nanomaterial-synthesis-ball...

High energy ball milling.jpg - 35kB

Rapopart’s Rules for critical commentary:

1. Attempt to re-express your target’s position so clearly, vividly and fairly that your target says: “Thanks, I wish I’d thought of putting it that way.”
2. List any points of agreement (especially if they are not matters of general or widespread agreement).
3. Mention anything you have learned from your target.
4. Only then are you permitted to say so much as a word of rebuttal or criticism.

Anatol Rapoport was a Russian-born American mathematical psychologist (1911-2007).

Texium
Administrator
Thread Moved
27-11-2023 at 12:21
Millhouse
Harmless

Mood: Pondering

[*] posted on 29-11-2023 at 15:02

Yes they work quite well, a good rule of thumb is to have the milling jar, half full of grinding media, and then about 3/4 of the rest filled with your composition/chemical of choice.. a great place to start is the rebel 17 tumbler from extreme tumblers.. you’ll need to modify your drive pulley size to get the appropriate 68-70 rpm for efficiency.. hope this helps..

Go To Top