Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Potassium peroxocarbonate synthysis
symboom
International Hazard

Mood: Doing science while it is still legal since 2010

[*] posted on 13-7-2018 at 23:38
Potassium peroxocarbonate synthysis

The anion is formed, together with peroxocarbonate CO2−
4, at the negative electrode during electrolysis of molten lithium carbonate.[1] The anion can also be obtained by electrolysis of a saturated solution of rubidium carbonate in water.

Potassium peroxydicarbonate K2C2O6 was obtained by Constam and von Hansen in 1895;[3] its crystal structure was determined only in 2002.It too can be obtained by electrolysis of a saturated potassium carbonate solution at −20 °C. It is a light blue crystalline solid that decomposes at 141 °C, releasing oxygen and carbon dioxide, and decomposes slowly at lower temperatures

sounds doable along with a dry ice bath of acetone any one tried this.

AJKOER
Radically Dubious

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 17-7-2018 at 06:10

A major part of a successful electrolysis, per my limited experience and readings, is the choice of the electrode material and its surface area.

The issue with potassium carbonate is its alkaline nature so perhaps a form of carbon electrode. Recently, to quote Heptylene on SM (http://www.sciencemadness.org/talk/viewthread.php?tid=84683):

Quote: Originally posted by Heptylene  
What is the problem with graphite? Titanium passivates, which is a problem, but graphite doesn't. Plus graphite is cheap, available in thin plates and is unreactive.

To address the corrosion issue with graphite rods (for lead pencils), I placed the electrode in a funnel with filter paper with the mouth of the funnel in contact with the rest of the cell.

Also, maintaining a very cold solution during electrolysis may require stirring as well.

[Edited on 17-7-2018 by AJKOER]
Cipher
banned

Mood: woelen disabled my posting and u2u privilegies

[*] posted on 17-7-2018 at 06:45

Sounds impractical. How do you plan to hold solution cold for so long? Also if you try to reduce time by increasing electrolysis rate, it will just heat up more. Also isn't graphite or carbon or it's impurities maybe catalyst in H2O2 decomposition? Has anybody tried reating C with H2O2? UTFSE!

http://www.sciencemadness.org/talk/viewthread.php?tid=10796

Go To Top