Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Safe Storage of Chemicals - Home Lab Construction
dapper
Hazard to Self

Mood: No Mood

biggrin.gif posted on 18-5-2007 at 08:22
Safe Storage of Chemicals - Home Lab Construction

I've talked SWMBO into letting me put together a decent lab when we move next month, and was hoping I could tap the resource here and get suggestions on home lab construction, chemical storage/safety, and tidiness issues.

I plan to essentially build a 'stage' with a counter and floor made out of some fire/chem resistant material in the corner of a room. I imagine I'll need some sort of shelving or cabinet to store chemicals in as well. I was thinking of putting up a curtain to separate 'the lab' from the rest of the room, but I'm not sure if it is necessary or prudent. I enjoy my privacy, but don't want to add a fire hazard.. I'll be happy to walk anyone through whatever I'm doing but at the same time.. you never know that the first thought through people's head is.

I'm hoping to have safe storage, I don't want to burn the place down with any of my experiments. I imagine I'll have distillations and related.. though I'd be alright with confining it to crystal growing and the likes if I had to for safety. I also want to develop chemical demonstrations for classroom use - Suggestions for safe storage of KClO3 and the like?

Thanks - I'll be sure to post pictures when construction begins
transformer
Harmless

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 18-5-2007 at 08:48

Make sure not too store the acids and bases together and perhaps it would bee smart to store the flamables in some fire proof box separate from the rhe other chemicals, the very toxic chemicals such as cyanides are best stored in a small safe.

Also it is smart to have the liquid chemicals in a box or something that looks like a box but is only around 5 cm high this box should have some chemical resistance to make sure not everything spills on the floor in the case of a broken bottle.

[Edited on 18-5-2007 by samsung]

phj
Harmless

Mood: inquisitive

[*] posted on 18-5-2007 at 11:52

Greetings,

Woelen informed me about this forum a little while ago.
I do some home experimenting myself, so I registered.

Anyway, just like Dapper, I moved just a month ago and I'm now building up a new home-lab myself.
I'm using one of the garden sheds, and if TS should have one, I suggest to claim one yourself.
A garden shed, not being part of the house, has many advantages.

There's still much to isolate, connect and to arrange before I can start experimenting again, though.
G.i.B.
Harmless

Mood: confused but happy

[*] posted on 18-5-2007 at 12:32

Dapper. There is something, that can destroy your home lab far more quickly than wrongly stored chemicals, your neighbours !! Make sure, that you blind all your windows of your lab, and don't let any strange smells leave your house.

@phj. Ik ben er ook net, goed om een bekende tegen te komen. Woelen komt hier al een tijdje. Zijn posts zijn zoals gewoonlijk zeer de moeite waard om te lezen.
chemkid
Hazard to Others

Mood: polarized

[*] posted on 22-5-2007 at 17:50

My neighbors are extremely tolerant of my reactions - surprise, surprise. They watch my me out there with breathers and goggles on melting lead etc.

On setting up a home lab…personally mines in my basement. I have a small fire extinguisher and several small windows for ventilation and a fan. I store all my chemicals on some random table like thing that is used for serving meals on a table and I also store some on a makeshift shelf under my lab counter. Personally I just looked up the msds for each chem. I have and grouped them on their compatibility using an excel spreadsheet.

Go To Top