Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Sodium Cyanoborohydride
jubrail
Harmless

Mood: Just Dandy

[*] posted on 24-7-2003 at 05:41
Sodium Cyanoborohydride

New here, but I searched the site to no avail. I was wondering if anyone had experience in obtaining Sodium Cyanoborohydride. I highly doubt there are any backdoor sources. I know that if it is possible to go into a chem supply store and ask for other powerful reducing agents like Na borohydride or LAH, it is not easy. Has anyone here found some other type of supply house, or perhaps someone has actually bought it at normal outlets. Just asking before I waste time and gas driving out to the nearest (not so near) supply house to get laughed at in my face and return sans chemical.

Thanks

Rainbows & Butterflies Forever
blip
Hazard to Others

Mood: absorbed

[*] posted on 26-7-2003 at 20:35

<a href="http://www.rhodium.ws/" target="_blank">Rhodium.ws</a> has some info on chemical syntheses. I found a synthesis for lithium aluminum hydride <a href="http://www.rhodium.ws/chemistry/lah.synthesis.html" target="_blank">here</a>, but you must have lithium hydride and aluminum chloride on hand. I read that lithium metal reacts with hydrogen to form lithium hydride without coaxing. Knowing that you probably don't have access to lithium metal or its compounds you might be able to electrolyze a sodium compound to get sodium metal such as sodium hydroxide or sodium bisulfate (read <a href="http://www.sciencemadness.org/talk/viewthread.php?tid=406" target="_blank">this</a> and <a href="http://www.sciencemadness.org/talk/viewthread.php?tid=802" target="_blank">this</a>;). Sodium apparently takes some coaxing to react it with hydrogen but it can be done. Now, I don't know where you'd get the diborane, but maybe:
Na<sub>2</sub>B<sub>4</sub>O<sub>7</sub> + 2HCl + 5H<sub>2</sub>O <strike>&nbsp;&nbsp;</strike>> 4H<sub>3</sub>BO<sub>3</sub> + 2NaCl
6NaH + 2H<sub>3</sub>BO<sub>3</sub> <strike>&nbsp;&nbsp;</strike>> B<sub>2</sub>H<sub>6</sub> + 6NaOH
2NaH + B<sub>2</sub>H<sub>6</sub> <strike>&nbsp;&nbsp;</strike>> 2NaBH<sub>4</sub>

Organikum
resurrected

Mood: busy and in love

[*] posted on 26-7-2003 at 22:22

Everybody has access to lithium metal!
Thanks "ENERGIZER"
:D

Military surplus makes the source financial attrictive also. Handle with care!

Irgendwas is ja immer
Nick F
Hazard to Others

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 27-7-2003 at 06:12

NaBH4 can be bought in (small) quantities from a company that sells little educational fuel cells. Search and ye shall find...

I haven't seen any other good reducers for sale like this though.
blip
Hazard to Others

Mood: absorbed

[*] posted on 28-7-2003 at 20:19

Quote:

Everybody has access to lithium metal!
Thanks "ENERGIZER"
:D

I heard of that, but also that it gets so hot during extraction from everything reacting that even oven mitts don't help very much. I still wanna try it. :)

Mumbles
Hazard to Others

Mood: Procrastinating

[*] posted on 11-8-2003 at 23:20

My friendly photographic supply house happens to carry Sodium borohydride. She also happens to carry Cyanoborohydride. I believe it's meant to say Sodium cyanoborohydride. Its in with the sodium compounds. You may want to check some photographic supply places. I don't have a clue what it does or what its used for, but searching could probably come up with that answer.
View user's profile Visit user's homepage View All Posts By User This user has MSN Messenger

Go To Top