Sciencemadness Discussion Board
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: 3 40gallon aluminum hydrolic fluid tanks - any suggestions for use
RogueRose
International Hazard

[*] posted on 23-7-2018 at 23:04
3 40gallon aluminum hydrolic fluid tanks - any suggestions for use

I have 3 hydraulic fluid tanks made of very thick aluminum (not sure gauge), they are 40, 40 and 45 gallons. They are rectangular maybe 28"x35"x20" in size (going off memory), probably weigh about 70-75 lbs each, maybe more. They have a very thick Al access plates about 8"x10" which has the connection ports on it (basically threaded pipe) - plates are held on with large bolts, maybe 5 per side (~20 per plate). On the back of each tank on the top and bottom, there is a 3" wide strip that runs the width of the tank which is used to mount the tank on the crane/equipment.

These were originally used to hold hydraulic fluid for a crane of some type and somehow we ended up with them about 40-50 years ago and they have been in storage ever since. Someone mentioned scrapping them and I almost had a heart attack considering something like this would be crazy expensive if bought new. I was thinking at least cut them up and keep the Al plate as it is probably 3/16" min to up to 3/8" plate.

I was thinking that they might be useful to keep water in for running large/long distillations where I could daisy chain the tanks. The Al would allow the heat to escape nicely from the water as well. Might take up less room than having a number of round drums and could even be mounted on a wall.

I'll have to get pics tomorrow as I want to measure them and weigh them so I know for certain what they are.

I guess they could also be used for fuel storage of some kind, like the oils I was talking about in previous thread. If I get more of the oils I could keep WVO in one, WMO in another and the larger one for water for distillations.?

I just don't know of many applications for something like this. I guess they could be good for an extra fuel tank in a large pickup - IDK ifthere would be any problems putting diesel or gasoline in Aluminum tanks. They are probably lighter than steel tanks available of the same size, though IDK as these are kind of thick.

Anyone have any suggestions for something like this?

Go To Top