Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Odd nitrate fertilizer
Σldritch
Hazard to Others

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 11-9-2018 at 05:30
Odd nitrate fertilizer

I have some Calcium Nitrate fertilizer which i would like to know the composition of. Supposedly it contains by weight:15.5% Nitrogen of which: 14.4% is nitrates 1.1% is ammonium18.8% Calcium of which: 18.8% is soluble (implying no Calcium Hydroxide or Calcium Carbonate)The salts should amount to 34% , assuming the rest is water how is it not a liquid when the solubility of Calcium Nitrate is 121g/100g at room temperature.What irks me too is that it supposedly reacts as a caustic which is counter intuitive for a mixture containing ammonium which in soil should be oxidized to nitrite and then too nitrate. Calcium Nitrate is slightly acidic too.Is there something else in it which is not mentioned or does Calcium Ammonium Nitrate have lower solubility and some weird interaction in soil?

EDIT: Never mind, please delete

[Edited on 11-9-2018 by Σldritch]
RogueRose
International Hazard

[*] posted on 11-9-2018 at 09:14

Don't feel bad, I've had 4 batches of what is supposed to be the same calcium nitrate fertilizer and they have all been different. 3 were in the branded bag by "Yara" and the 4th was a plain white bag, supposedly re-packaged from a bulk purchase. All 4 have acted differently, 2 bags reacted strongly with NaOH/KOH producing copious amounts of ammonia and I think a lot of heat, and this was with a dry mixture the other 2 bags didn't react at all when mixed dry and only slight smell of ammonia when a base was added.

2 bags would not completely dissolve in water, it seemed like it was either Ca(OH)2 or CaCO3 though it was off-white. I have been lead to believe that the fertilizer is made from ammonium nitrate and CaO, though I'm not sure if that makes Cal Nit or CAN.

It seems that Cal Nitrate and CAN both widely vary in their composition and quality, even when it is supposedly "brand" name stuff.
AJKOER
Radically Dubious

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 30-9-2018 at 11:11

Quote: Originally posted by RogueRose  
It seems that Cal Nitrate and CAN both widely vary in their composition and quality, even when it is supposedly "brand" name stuff.

Could it be that manufacturers of calcium nitrate and CAN products have been given the green light to sell poor quality products, as it likely efficiently and cheaply compromises most applications of the product other than its use as fertilizer?

This would in essence give money to the manufacturers, but could also result in a consumer preference competition among adulterated products (which is what this thread may be an example of).

In all, I guess this product modification would be better than a ban (due to rare misapplications of the product) given that fertilizers are essential for the cultivation of crops.

I did some research, and my speculation may have some basis per this old 2013 news article at https://www.dallasnews.com/news/news/2013/10/05/ammonium-nit... To quote:

"Legislation proposed in the attack’s aftermath required whenever possible the use of “inherently safer technology” — industrial processes and alternative chemicals that could reduce risk in the event of an accident or attack."
------------------------------------

I'm just personally glad that someone hasn't found a miss-application for my toothpaste, as God knows what crap I'd be brushing my teeth with.

[Edited on 30-9-2018 by AJKOER]

Go To Top