Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Nitrogen and That Crazy Titanium
deadsexy
Harmless

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 26-9-2003 at 14:48
Nitrogen and That Crazy Titanium

I have heard that Titanium is the only element that is able to burn in a pure Nitrogen atmosphere. My question is, how do you ignite the Titanium, is it just heated until a certain temperature? What is that certain temperature? If anyone has any other information about this or any other wierd attributes that some elements have I would greatly appreciate it if you would share them with me.
Mumbles
Hazard to Others

Mood: Procrastinating

[*] posted on 26-9-2003 at 15:18

If I'm not mistaken Mg shares this same attribute. With Magnesium, what I believe is done is the Mg is lit out side of the nitrogen, and then is inserted into the nitrogen. If you just heated, It would probably combine with the Nitrogen to make Titanium Nitride.
View user's profile Visit user's homepage View All Posts By User This user has MSN Messenger
JustMe
Hazard to Others

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 26-9-2003 at 15:54

Well, if that's where you're going, Magnesium burns underwater too!

As for weird elemental attributes, how about this. There are 4 ferromagnetic elements. You are probably familiar with Iron, Cobalt and Nickel, but have you heard of Gadolinium? A rare earth, it has a rather unique ferromagnetic transition temperature. It is highly magnetic below about 66 degees F (292 K - hope I did the conversion right), but looses it's magnetism above it. I've always thought that was kinda neat!

More commonly known is that if you pour very hot molten sulfur into water to cool it quickly, it stretches like plastic for awhile afterwards.

But wait, there's more... just read!
BromicAcid
International Hazard

Mood: Rock n' Roll

[*] posted on 26-9-2003 at 16:16

Lithium will actually react more with atmostpheric nitrogen then oxygen at normal temperature and pressure so it could easily burn in it. Lithium nitride is a almost black coating that develops on lithium metal shortly after you remove it from the oil. Great stuff, great stuff!
IRISH
Harmless

Mood: insane

[*] posted on 2-10-2003 at 03:32

I was wondering why the stuff on my Li was black .
Anyone know what the combustion products of Ti or Mg burning in Nitrogen are ? nitride or a mix with something else ? (can they form any other compounds without any other element ? .

[Edited on 2-10-2003 by IRISH]

[Edited on 2-10-2003 by IRISH]
blip
Hazard to Others

Mood: absorbed

[*] posted on 3-10-2003 at 14:38

AFAIK they only form the nitrides when burning in a pure nitrogen atmosphere. A good test is to put a small bit in water and see if some ammonia evolves.

Mg<sub>3</sub>N<sub>2</sub> + 6H<sub>2</sub>O <sup><u>&nbsp;&nbsp;</u></sup>> 3Mg(OH)<sub>2</sub> + 2NH<sub>3</sub>

Also notice that this happens because of the common ion effect (in this case it's OH-):
NH<sub>4</sub>OH <u>&nbsp;<<strike>&nbsp;&nbsp;</strike></u><sub>>&nbsp;</sub> NH<sub>3</sub><b>&middot;</b>H<sub>2</sub>O

Additional information: <a href="http://www.chemguide.co.uk/inorganic/group2/reacto2.html" target="_blank">Reactions of the group 2 elements with air or oxygen</a>

[Edit: I removed some possibly erronous information.]

[Edited on 10-4-2003 by blip]

Go To Top