Sciencemadness Discussion Board
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: I need sand... yes... SiO2 Seriously!
BromicAcid
International Hazard

Mood: Rock n' Roll

[*] posted on 30-9-2003 at 17:28
I need sand... yes... SiO2 Seriously!

It sounds stupid at first but there is a little bit more to it. Im using it as a reducing agent and in order to lower the reaction temperature as low as possible I need a very very fine sand, like 325 mesh or 2 - 3 micron. Like fumed silica but I'm having trouble finding sources for it. Also I would perfer it to be anhydrous not like silica gel although I could dehydrate it first. Finally I do not want to pay $13 for 100 grams like spectra wants. I mean, I just bought 50 lbs for $1.75 (yes, I could sift out the fine grain sand until I have enough and dehydrate it at high temp but I'm kinda lazy sometimes so I'm going to the internet for a reliable product, plus I believe anything close to 325 mesh has been removed because it might cause silicosis, it is play sand afterall) so it just seems terrible to pay that much. So in summation, I want to be able to buy a managable quantity of fairly pure sand of extrememly small grain size and not the silica gel type used to absorb water.

Thanks in advance for any help on this somewhat lame question!
Polverone
Now celebrating 21 years of madness

Mood: Waiting for spring

[*] posted on 30-9-2003 at 18:00

Check out a place that sells ceramics supplies. I've seen ~300 mesh dry silica from them.
Haggis
Hazard to Others

Mood: Lacrymating

[*] posted on 30-9-2003 at 18:12

Two things I can think of are refills for existing products. One is stuff for 'sand art' it is very fine. It has been 9 years since my grandma gave me a 'sand art' kit for my birthday, but I believe that the sand is very fine. Also, another source that I am almost positive of is this: I am not sure how to describe it, but it is a pendulum on a stick...when you push or pull the pendulum, it drags the tip through the extremely fine silica in the tray below it. The pendulum setups are usually sold in places like 'Gadzooks' in American malls. I am sure you can get a replacement bag of sand from these manufacturers. However, I am not sure of the price.

Great ideas often receive violent opposition from mediocre minds.
<b> <a href=\"http://pgp.mit.edu:11371/pks/lookup?op=get&search=0xEE41A2B1\">PGP Key</a> </b> 0C0A 7486 B97F 92EE AE50 A98C A4F3 087E 8CE9 A782
Mr. Wizard
International Hazard

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 30-9-2003 at 20:49
SiO2 source

I was thinking about making some sodium silicate by fusing sand and sodium carbonate. I gave some thought to using diatomaceous earth as the silica source. It is readily available through swimming pool supply sources, used as the filter media in some cannister filters. Silica Sand is also available in lumber yards, but it does contain other impurities. Look for it around the cement, and masonry supplies. It is often used for sand blasting. Don't breath the dust.
axehandle
Free Radical

Mood: horny

[*] posted on 8-1-2004 at 10:34
SiO2 atomization

Can't find a small enough mesh size? I would
suggest using a ball mill with stainless steel
balls as the milling media.
BromicAcid
International Hazard

Mood: Rock n' Roll

[*] posted on 8-1-2004 at 11:12

I eneded up getting fumed silica used for concrete. It has about the smallest particle size I could finde and it is fairly cheap by this method. 100g is very nearly 1 L in volume:o! Plus I don't have to worry about it having abosrbed any water as the jar very clearly says anhydrous (and also that it's incredibly deadly).

Shamelessly plugging my attempts at writing fiction: http://www.robvincent.org
vulture
Forum Gatekeeper

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 8-1-2004 at 15:19

If you're really desperate you could always burn silicone glue.

One shouldn't accept or resort to the mutilation of science to appease the mentally impaired.
chemoleo
Biochemicus Energeticus

Mood: crystalline

[*] posted on 8-1-2004 at 16:50

yepp, that works very nicely. Make sure you collect the white fumes too, and allow a nice heat to develop with plenty of air, so that there are no carbon deposits.
I did it once with the silicone stuff that is used to seal windows to the frame, or seal things in kitchens, labs etc.

Never Stop to Begin, and Never Begin to Stop...
Tolerance is good. But not with the intolerant! (Wilhelm Busch)
chemoleo
Biochemicus Energeticus

Mood: crystalline

[*] posted on 11-1-2004 at 17:36

They also sell quartz sand, or dust, in various sizes at www.kremer-pigmente.de. They do international shippings... so a good opportunity to buy additional useful items ;)

Never Stop to Begin, and Never Begin to Stop...
Tolerance is good. But not with the intolerant! (Wilhelm Busch)

Go To Top