Author: Subject: What happened to rhodium and Hive
mono
Harmless

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 9-9-2007 at 10:36

Quote:
Originally posted by gambler
Above link does not work..

link works again, complete archive available for download at link (except for Russian and the couch forum)

http://www.telegenetic.net/hiveboard/

I still have hope that it will come back sometime... (in 2012 ;))

Liberty
1a. The condition of being free from restriction or control.
b. The right and power to act, believe, or express oneself in a manner of one\'s own choosing.
c. The condition of being physically and legally free from confinement, servitude, or forced labor.
franklyn
International Hazard

[*] posted on 10-9-2007 at 08:16

Quote:

____What happened to rhodium and Hive

It's still there , in other forms _

http://www.sciencemadness.org/talk/viewthread.php?tid=9109

Slimz
Hazard to Others

Mood: Inquisitive

[*] posted on 25-9-2007 at 11:55

http://designer-drug.com/pte/12.162.180.114/dcd/chemistry/rh...

Johnny was a chemist’s son, but now he is no more. What Johnny thought was H2O was H2SO4
WizardX
Hazard to Self

Mood: wizardx.suddenlaunch3.com

[*] posted on 4-11-2007 at 17:47

This will give you some idea of the Hive situation. http://wizardx.suddenlaunch3.com/index.cgi?board=Hive

Albert Einstein - \"Great ideas often receive violent opposition from mediocre minds.\"
Edward Elric
Hazard to Self

Mood: seraphic

[*] posted on 7-12-2007 at 13:51

:o

For a moment, I thought the HIVE was still alive.
It probably is, but I don't know about it.

PLZ, lock the thread?

[Edited on 7-12-2007 by Edward Elric]

☣ - Full Metal Alchemist - ☣
synapse
Harmless

[*] posted on 24-2-2008 at 03:19
New advanced drug chemistry forum

Hi, some of you may be aware of the forum Bluelight (a drug harm-reduction-focused discussion forum). Some of us felt limited in what we could discuss there, so we created a sort of alter-ego version, which we named Blacklight. At Blacklight, we can discuss advanced pharmacology & synthetic chemistry.

Anyway, this is an invitation to those interested in the advanced side of this subject (such as ex-Hive members) to come along and check us out (read below for more info). That way you can stop scaring those with a distaste for such things here :P .

Please note: You will not be granted access immediately upon registration.
This is because we are not interested in members who only want to discuss meth teks and the like - so we make it hard for people who might want opportunist information to get it. We want only responsible, intelligent people who are interested in advanced chemistry and pharmacology for novel, advanced compounds.
Access will be granted after you achieve a certain postcount in our General forums, and then Private-Message a Global Moderator (such as myself) or Administrator with a short (~200 words) blurb about yourself and how you'll fit in at Blacklight (we even provide some example questions you can answer)... or if you can get a referral from some of our existing respected & talented userbase, or otherwise provide us with very convincing evidence about your suitabillity.

If you feel like you meet the description above, please come visit us at http://blacklight.in .

[Edited on 25-2-2008 by MattPsy]
synapse
Harmless

[*] posted on 23-3-2008 at 15:10

Invitation is now closed.
Eliteforum
National Hazard

Mood: Enjoying the journey

[*] posted on 28-3-2008 at 03:19

In total there are 2 users online :: 1 registered, 0 hidden and 1 guest (based on users active over the past 5 minutes)
Most users ever online was 8 on 19 Mar 2008, 18:00

All that glitters isn't gold.
MadHatter
International Hazard

Mood: Enjoying retirement

[*] posted on 28-3-2008 at 23:41
The Hive

This one will probably be impossible to duplicate. The closest I've ever come is WD.
Many have tried but no one even comes close. I await Strike's return !

And, YES, I'm a member of BlueLight although it isn't promising.

[Edited on 2008/3/29 by MadHatter]

From opening of NCIS New Orleans - It goes a BOOM ! BOOM ! BOOM ! MUHAHAHAHAHAHAHA !
solo
International Hazard

Mood: ....getting old and drowning in a sea of knowledge

[*] posted on 29-3-2008 at 01:00

Quote:
Originally posted by MadHatter
This one will probably be impossible to duplicate. The closest I've ever come is WD.
Many have tried but no one even comes close. I await Strike's return !

And, YES, I'm a member of BlueLight although it isn't promising.

.......do you mean blacklight?... solo

[Edited on 29-3-2008 by solo]

It's better to die on your feet, than live on your knees....Emiliano Zapata.
synapse
Harmless

[*] posted on 29-3-2008 at 19:49

If indeed they do mean Blacklight, I don't see why it isn't promising ;) .
We've only been operating for 2 months now, and already have 1838 posts, 211 topics, 140 members (although many of the members are non-posting, of course, as with many forums). Pretty good going, i'd say.
SecretSquirrel
Hazard to Self

[*] posted on 30-3-2008 at 03:07

The number of posts and topics doesn't mean anything. If they don't contain any useful information it's pretty useless in my opinion.
synapse
Harmless

[*] posted on 30-3-2008 at 23:26

You're right. Fortunate that they do, then, no ;) ?
It'll only get better too.
I've noticed that some members that were with us for a while (one of which was banned for abuse) have since gone around badmouthing us, amid accusations that we deleted their content etc. Rather petty, I think, haha.
Fortunately, actions speak louder than words. :)
solo
International Hazard

[*] posted on 7-6-2008 at 10:28

I was curious to see how the new org chem forum (blacklight) is doing....but it seems to be off line....well that didn't last much....

Also noted that synthetikal and total-synthesis are off line for quite a while......I guess Hellman found a new method to make money as he got tired of milking the files.. ..........solo

[Edited on 7-6-2008 by solo]

Sauron
International Hazard

Mood: metastable

[*] posted on 8-6-2008 at 03:17

As my old friend Sam used to say, "The world will little note, nor long remember..."

Sic gorgeamus a los subjectatus nunc.
syntelman
Harmless

Mood: Tired

[*] posted on 8-6-2008 at 06:30

As far as I know Blacklight was only temporarily down for 2 days due to some network administration (upgrade to a faster bandwidth me thinks). Anyway it's back on-line now. :)

And synthetikal won't be missed for sure! :D

http://www.blacklight.in - Advanced Drug Chemistry & Pharmacology Discussion
synapse
Harmless

[*] posted on 9-6-2008 at 04:28

While we do have an upgrade planned for more bandwidth, my understanding is that the server crashed shortly after our admin went on a short holiday, so it finally got back online when he returned. Sorry for the [unexpected] outage! We're still around and will continue to be for the forseeable future. Feel free to join us, we'd appreciate some more members skilled in synthesis. :) ~best regards.

[Edited on 10-6-2008 by synapse]
Ephoton
Hazard to Others

Mood: trying to figure out why I need a dark room retreat when I live in a forest of wattle.

[*] posted on 14-6-2008 at 10:43

I doubt any forum will ever come close to the hive unless they have
the backing of the nights mother. :).

the prime minister of england I am sure would say the same as they were a very close friendship for a long time.

I doubt the russians will want another board like the hive to be honest or
they would have just translated there own.

honestly who wants to write a 200 word blah blah kissing ass to some
one they never knew so as to access something that babel will
make look like childes play.

you want to do something big for the clad synth scene stop writing php
and write a nice translator that works with https.

preferable that does not use an online translator or at least uses
tor to do translations.

problem then is you don't get to look like a chem god :)

synthetikal all over.

cant wait for the adsence.

[Edited on 14-6-2008 by Ephoton]

e3500 console login: root
bash-2.05#

MagicJigPipe
International Hazard

Mood: Suspicious

[*] posted on 14-6-2008 at 15:19

I'll admit, the Hive was certainly better than certain other forums but not better than this one, IMO.

It appeared to be WAY too focused on drugs and more specifically, phenethylamines and phenylpropylamines. That stuff never gets old to some people for some reason.

I like this forum because it's like a cornicopia of chemistry.

"There must be no barriers to freedom of inquiry ... There is no place for dogma in science. The scientist is free, and must be free to ask any question, to doubt any assertion, to seek for any evidence, to correct any errors. ... We know that the only way to avoid error is to detect it and that the only way to detect it is to be free to inquire. And we know that as long as men are free to ask what they must, free to say what they think, free to think what they will, freedom can never be lost, and science can never regress." -J. Robert Oppenheimer
Sauron
International Hazard

[*] posted on 14-6-2008 at 18:57

I guess you mean cornucopia, but we can have some joycean fun teasing out the implications of "cornicopia" anyway...

I agree with you by the way.

solo
International Hazard

[*] posted on 14-6-2008 at 19:23

Quote:
Originally posted by MagicJigPipe
I'll admit, the Hive was certainly better than certain other forums but not better than this one, IMO.

It appeared to be WAY too focused on drugs and more specifically, phenethylamines and phenylpropylamines. That stuff never gets old to some people for some reason.

I like this forum because it's like a cornicopia of chemistry.

...........of course you were a member of the Hive and you would know ...not!.........there is no similarity..... and there is and will be only one Hive no comparison ....solo, a long standing Hive member.......java

[Edited on 14-6-2008 by solo]

S.C. Wack
bibliomaster

Mood: Enhanced

[*] posted on 14-6-2008 at 20:59

I think some people here may have not really looked very deep in the-hive, either in person or in the incomplete archives. It is true that inorganic chemistry especially was given short shrift, there wasn't a lot of interest in it there. Organic chemistry is a different matter. Knowledgeable and well-equipped people were attracted to it. The experiments of the members that were posted were a little different than those here, sure.

I've not seen the references forum here, but I doubt that there exists there or anywhere else the incredible cooperative effort of finding and posting references; common, obscure, in any language, rather often not worthless and lame, and not necessarily drug-related.

The collective amount of time and effort, combined with the amount of information presented will be tough to match. I don't see that level of "building something" here, from that many of its members. Or at any other forum for amateurs, in English-language interweb tubes. I'm not that qualified to say though. If Polverone disagrees, well he would know.

[Edited on 14-6-2008 by S.C. Wack]
Polverone
Now celebrating 21 years of madness

Mood: Waiting for spring

[*] posted on 14-6-2008 at 22:22

Quote:
Originally posted by S.C. Wack
I've not seen the references forum here, but I doubt that there exists there or anywhere else the incredible cooperative effort of finding and posting references; common, obscure, in any language, rather often not worthless and lame, and not necessarily drug-related.

The collective amount of time and effort, combined with the amount of information presented will be tough to match. I don't see that level of "building something" here, from that many of its members. Or at any other forum for amateurs, in English-language interweb tubes. I'm not that qualified to say though. If Polverone disagrees, well he would know.

I think there's a pretty strong effort to retrieve requested references here. Much of this work is done by just a handful of members, though. Translations are harder to come across here than they were on the Hive. A lot more legacy material has been digitized by publishers and third parties since the Hive shut down, so fewer references (still plenty though) actually require trips to the library stacks. Fewer articles/references are just shared here as "of interest" to members, since this forum doesn't have an overarching purpose like the Hive did.

The Hive was an incredible place, and not just for people who wanted to manufacture drugs. Much of the shared experimentation, literature, and coaching on laboratory practice would be applicable to anyone who wanted to explore chemistry independently. It is hard to imagine such a convergence of amateur chemists meeting in one place again.

The Hive achieved critical mass in a way that this site hasn't and probably won't. It had enough members from enough backgrounds that articles in almost any language could be translated, if they merited it. It had enough actively experimenting members that people could find virtual research partners, of a sort, and verify/refine each other's work. It had a tremendous range of experience among members, so there were mentors for members of almost any skill level.

Every time I post about the late, great Hive I have to lament that the leadership keeps the archives private. The unofficial partial backup may be all we'll ever see. I don't deny that Rhodium and the mod/admin crew put a lot of work into the site, but their contributions are dwarfed by the collective contributions of the lay membership. It was a betrayal to take that collaboration and lock it away from all but a handful of insiders. If the Hive wasn't going to reopen, someone with access to backups should have prepared a sanitized database dump or static HTML archive and shared it via bittorrent/usenet/rapidshare long ago. I know there are people who read this site and could still do the right thing.

PGP Key and corresponding e-mail address
MagicJigPipe
International Hazard

Mood: Suspicious

[*] posted on 14-6-2008 at 22:56

Quote:

...........of course you were a member of the Hive and you would know ...not!.........there is no similarity..... and there is and will be only one Hive no comparison ....solo, a long standing Hive member.......java

No offense but your responses on the matter are extremely predictable. Not that there's anything wrong with being predictable sometimes... Just in case it's indicative of anything, I knew you going to say that almost verbatim. And we all know which forum's you are a member of. You need not wave your metaphorical flag here.

Still, we can all agree that the Hive's main purpose was for discussion of drug syntheses. And there's nothing wrong with that either, IMO. But, like I said before, the focusing on one thing and one type of drug would get old to me (I know there was focus on other things but a large chunk was about a certain group of drugs). From what I've read it seemed like it started to be just be the same thing over and over with slight variations.

That happens to a certain extent here but it doesn't seem as "bad", IMO.

Judging from what I've read and heard, if the Hive existed today I would still spend most of my time over here. Polverone, you shouldn't diminish what you have created here. It is better, in some ways, than the Hive.

Allow me to rant, please.

I dislike the idea that former Hive member's have--that they are better than everyone else. I know this is not just me that sees this. If someone appears to "go against" a former Hive member (or the Hive itself), they are immediately pounced upon by his/her pawns. It's barbaric and childish as it is usually nothing more than petty insults and cheap shots. The anonymity of the internet seems to lead people to behave in ways that they would be ashamed of in reality. Here's a hint, too much pride is a bad thing (especially in something like an internet forum) and almost always leads to trouble and/or psychological issues. If you feel like saying something that you would probably get your ass kicked for in reality... Don't say it.

Solo, that paragraph is not about you. DO NOT start a fight with me, please. I really, don't have time. In fact, I've already spent too much time on this post!

"There must be no barriers to freedom of inquiry ... There is no place for dogma in science. The scientist is free, and must be free to ask any question, to doubt any assertion, to seek for any evidence, to correct any errors. ... We know that the only way to avoid error is to detect it and that the only way to detect it is to be free to inquire. And we know that as long as men are free to ask what they must, free to say what they think, free to think what they will, freedom can never be lost, and science can never regress." -J. Robert Oppenheimer
Sauron
International Hazard

[*] posted on 15-6-2008 at 03:05

MJP, as I understand it The Hive was never open to the public, it was invitation only. Solo has stated several times that he was a member. He has vigorously disputed criticism of the Hive, and I must say, that as you appear to be criticizing a forum you never logged on to and could not have lurked around, his criticism is pretty valid.

Rhodium is not The Hive, is a subset of the Hive, and it is certainly all of the Hive that I have ever seen and so I suspect the same is true of you.

My agreement with your remarks went only so far as they applied to the Rhodium partial archive.

Bad for to know something that you can't possibly have read.

Pages:  1  ..  8    10    12  13

Go To Top