Printable Version  
 Pages:  1    3  ..  13
Author: Subject: What happened to rhodium and Hive
solo
International Hazard

Mood: ....getting old and drowning in a sea of knowledge

[*] posted on 6-8-2004 at 14:45
What happened to rhodium and Hive

Today I've tried for over an hour both theHive and Rhodium but can't seem to make connection. doesn anyone know if they're down for repairs or are they a victim of a shut down?........solo

It's better to die on your feet, than live on your knees....Emiliano Zapata.
Reverend Necroticus Rex
Hazard to Others

Mood: Poisonous

[*] posted on 6-8-2004 at 14:53

I got the same problem about an hour or two ago, I know they had problems a while ago due them making a few tweaks to TFSE etc.

Maybe they're making more improvments/maintenance on the hive,
I haven't checked rhodium's site, is that down too?

The sun is shining on a brand new day
Blackened corpses burn where they were slain
Self-flagellation prompts him to confess, Bless me father, for I made this mess.
unicorn
Harmless

Mood: Lamp-post

shocked.gif posted on 6-8-2004 at 16:30
Does not bode well...

The timing of this is somewhat worrying, with roguesci going down as well.

I really hope this is some unlikely coincidence, but I'm a somewhat pessimistic and cynical person, and I'm beginning to wonder if at some point in the near pre-election future, Bush will state how he has recently overseen the shut down of major internet sites giving instructions to evil terrorists and drug manufacturers.

I don't understand how he can get away with it though, I don't know how many powers recent anti-terrorism laws over there, including the patriot act, has given the US government.

I'll try to be positive though, and hope that all sites mentioned spring back to life soon enough. :)
chemoleo
Biochemicus Energeticus

Mood: crystalline

[*] posted on 6-8-2004 at 16:42

Yes I also think maybe we are exaggerating the problem. There is no evidence that this is related, and the fact that SM is still up ought to tell you it probably isn't.
Let's not get overly paranoid shall we?
Time will tell. And to any problem there is a solution. SM wont just disappear...regardless!

Never Stop to Begin, and Never Begin to Stop...
Tolerance is good. But not with the intolerant! (Wilhelm Busch)
Charlie
Harmless

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 6-8-2004 at 16:45
A tad worrying

Both registered in Western Samoa. Is that some kind of satellite uplink? Maybe it is just a systems failure somewhere along the line.

The admins aren't stupid. If Dubya has shafted it, it will reappear somewhere. None of this 'forgot to back it up' crap.
Blind Angel
National Hazard

Mood: Meh!

[*] posted on 6-8-2004 at 19:01

The-Hive and Rhodium are phenix forum (the mythical animal) they reappear from their ashes, it wouldn't be the first time that they got close. So if it's really down, just watch and wait, it'll surely pop-up somewhere else. And I opt for the server problem, since i think the two are located on the same server (supposition)

/}/_//|//) /-\\/|//¬/=/_
My PGP Key Fingerprint: D4EA A609 55E4 7ADD 8529 359D D6E2 33F6 4C76 78ED
Sarevok
Harmless

[*] posted on 6-8-2004 at 20:53

Rhodium and The Hive were probably deleted too! Damn it.

No one noticed it but, one or two weeks before Roguesci's shutdown, the URL http://forums.bombshock.com/ stopped to work too.

Something big is happening. I don't know exactly why sciencemadness still exists.

[Edited on 7/8/2004 by Sarevok]

Polverone
Now celebrating 21 years of madness

Mood: Waiting for spring

[*] posted on 6-8-2004 at 21:16

People are going a little bit overboard with the paranoia-talk. The Hive and Rhodium seem to be on the same server, because in the past whenever one was inaccessible, so was the other. This is not the first time there's been a temporary outage. It's not amazing that they're down again. The bombshock.com main web site is not gone, and its forum has disappeared before.

PGP Key and corresponding e-mail address
Sarevok
Harmless

[*] posted on 6-8-2004 at 21:36

And what about Roguesci? Oh, I know it, the mods forgot to pay for the domain. :rolleyes:

Whatever.

Quantum
Hazard to Others

Mood: Interested

[*] posted on 6-8-2004 at 22:11

I think what Polverone says has a bit more weight than what you do, Sarevok but I am worried. Lets wait a few days before making a super kevlar covered tinfoil hat

What if, what is isn\'t true?
IvX
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 7-8-2004 at 02:05

Bombshock was gone well over 2 months before roguesci went down and it's about 80% likely that it was someone the new admin(Lowman) pissed off(read my little rant thread for example).

Besides TOTSE is still up and running it's recieved possibly the most(competeing with EW)public coverage.
Turel
Hazard to Others

Mood: Thixotropic

[*] posted on 7-8-2004 at 04:40
works fine now

I never experienced a down period from the Hive....

Last I logged in was 2 days ago, and it worked then; and it works now. So all appears to be well, at least for now.

-T
solo
International Hazard

[*] posted on 7-8-2004 at 09:05
The Hive and Rhodium are back.......

Like the phoenix.....as Blind Angel stated , they're back....I guess we all share a common concern....Freedom of speech, a concern to protect and allow other to excercise.....solo

RIPPER
Banned

smile.gif posted on 16-10-2004 at 04:05
Froud and Shit

:) & :)
solo
International Hazard

[*] posted on 17-11-2004 at 17:01
Rhodium and the Hive will be off for a while.......

Both the Hive and Rhodium will be off for a while as they posted on their general forum. From days to weeks to a month they are changing the server......so we will just have to check in periodically to see when they return..........solo/aka...... java at the Hive

On a side note it is very nice spending my time here in leu of no Hive.......solo

cavgdad
Harmless

[*] posted on 20-11-2004 at 11:46
need a post from the hive

what a re the of getting a zip of the hive. i am in desperate need of retrieving a post from the hive....:D
neutrino
International Hazard

Mood: oscillating

[*] posted on 20-11-2004 at 14:52

You might be able to find it through Google and use the cached version.
Polverone
Now celebrating 21 years of madness

Mood: Waiting for spring

[*] posted on 20-11-2004 at 15:16
No.

The Hive is not indexed by ordinary search engines; their robots directives say "go away" to search engine spiders. What is the post that you need?

PGP Key and corresponding e-mail address
cavgdad
Harmless

[*] posted on 22-11-2004 at 06:45
needed post

the post i need is in reference to improved wacker process. i believe the thread was started by rhodium, and referenced a link to his site about "improved wacker with a rate increase of up to 50... or something like that. the final posts was about a "dream" of some bee, using palladium acetate. i replied to it uncer my hive name bbeeasheets. need more info?>
solo
International Hazard

[*] posted on 22-11-2004 at 15:09
ref: Wanted article from Rhodium

Improved Wacker Oxidation of Alkenes to Ketones
D.G. Miller & D.D.M.Wayner
J. Org. Chem. 1990, 55,2925-2927

Abstract

An improved method for palladium(II)-catalyzed Wacker oxidation of cyclic and internal olefins is described. Addition of perchloric, sulfuric, nitric, or tetrafluoroboric acid to a chloride free solution of the Pd(II) catalyst gives rate enhancements of up to a factor of 50. The oxidation of cyclohexene to cyclohexanone, which was previously reported to give a 97 % yield after 5 h, is now accomplished in 1 h quantitatively, with only one-third of the amount of Pd(II) used. Limitations of the method are also discussed.

Attachment: Improved Wacker Oxidation of Alkenes to Ketones(J. Org. 55, 2924-2927,1990).pdf (25kB)
This file has been downloaded 3124 times

cavgdad
Harmless

[*] posted on 22-11-2004 at 16:19
needed post

thanks solo, thats the post, but i actually need the thread from the hive, as the post contained info i need. thanks for your help and reply!
MiNd
Harmless

[*] posted on 29-11-2004 at 01:30
Suggestions n Thoughts

I'd not be surprised if somewhere it has been said, but heres my 2 cents regarding the hive and many other BB sites:

1) One Dollah there buckeye, just a buck!
2) Anti-Spider/MassDownloading is NOT a kewl website feature.

1) First and formost, playing webmaster to a demanding site is more than a full-time job (been their, done it in past years) and consumes a persons life (time and ENERGY wise) thus I think they should be paid (becuase I would want to be personally). Additionally it would also cover the many expenses for a site (hosting, software, hardware, time, etc.). If users of nice sites like SM, the-hive, etc. supported them, such sites would likely be more reliable in remaining online. I think site admins SHOULD have a method (i.e. PayPal/similar) for recieving 'donations' AND request/suggest a dollar donation (monthly/quaterly, now-n-again, etc.) from each user who uses and appreciates that site. A buck ain't much, something easily parted with, and reasonably cheap compared to everything else in life!

Last I looked, over 5k registered users on the hive.. In a perferct world maybe 10% donated a buck a month, that $500 would pay that sites expenses and some money in the pocket of the Master which motivates'em to maintain and keep their site online.

Personally, I'm surprised to have seen the hive around so long (7 or 8 years) and treasure it, as a wealth of INFORMATION which I can't soak up enough of.. The site, hmmm, it's content, hmmmm, it's members are priceless!

2) Tryed over the past year or two many times using quite a few different spider/site-downloading apps inorder to spider the hive (download all of that sites web pages to my computer, for the layman) WITHOUT success. Too lazy and without the time, I never ventured into countless days or weeks project of coding something to snag the hive :)

I did try 8-12 of the top and best spiders/site-downloader apps under Winblows with no success and have the opinion it's a pretty decent little anti-spidering system the hive utilizes (or maybe verifying/ensuring a web browser is reqeusting the file). Never did get into exploring that project or topic, one day I'll have to..

Back on topic, site admins, DO NOT (pretty please :) prevent site-downloading. And though a reasonable concern, the potentional bandwidth demand/usage by such downloaders would not be an problem or issue for the site if site admin were utilizing suggestion #1 above. The site admin would have the funds to pay for/support whatever service and expense necessary to meet the needs n demands of the sites users.

I value just as YOU, yeah, you reading this, value having in your own possession a copy of specific information. Knowing, IF or WHEN you want it or need the info, it's sitting in your library or on a disk of yours rather than praying to the queen bee, that website is still online.

Lastly, when or should a website die for whatever reason..

YES IT'S A CONSPIRACY! lol (sadly, true both ways, literally and jokingly)

Some user with a copy of that sites content/information will setup a replacement/equivalent site containing/mirroring all the dead sites info.

Xmas wish list: It would be extra special, nice, and greatly appreciated by users (at least one, ME, hehe) if a site exported & archived it's content/data for download. (Let me have this one dream, just one, please, oh great Furby Buddha.. Praise Furby.. I worsheep thy great Furby.)

-oooooooommmmpphhh
Thats my yearly post and rant all-in-one,
Mind,
cavgdad
Harmless

[*] posted on 29-11-2004 at 07:09
i would gladly pay

i would gladly donate to help out. i think most bees would... except for the nature of the hive. i believe a complete anonymous and facile method of payment would be needed. no paper trail for big brother. maybe i am just paranoid. hopefully its not too late for the hive, what a loss that would bee.

btw i have since found a copy of the info i needed from the post above.

thanks again for the help.
Organikum
resurrected

Mood: busy and in love

[*] posted on 29-11-2004 at 11:12

Both the HIVE and Rhodiums page are perfectly legal.
If somebody doesnt donate referring to a username under which he has just bragged that he made heaps of speed there is no problem at all in doing so and even if he does, chances he will get trouble from this are marginal.

All this paranoia is completely away from reality. In reality ppl who make drugs get ratted out by what they thought being their "best friends" or get fucked by the good old own stupidity.

Irgendwas is ja immer
cavgdad
Harmless

[*] posted on 29-11-2004 at 19:16

so how do we go around starting a fund drive to get rhodium and the hive back. i will be the first to donate time and money (not a huge of either... but i will start.
 Pages:  1    3  ..  13

Go To Top