Pages:  1  2    4    6  ..  13
Author: Subject: What happened to rhodium and Hive
Mephisto
Chemicus Diabolicus

Mood: swinging

[*] posted on 14-12-2004 at 17:08
The Hive needs COMPETENCE

Quote:
What we do need is donations to cover the hardware costs of a professional server. In addition, donations would probably help speeding up the timeline as well.
The person who is hosting www.LambdaSyn.tk offered free web-hosting for the hive and Rhodium's site. This offer was delivered from me to Organikum, who delivered it to the hive admin Lilienthal. Till today nobody answered this offer, what is in my opinion not only irrational, but quite impolite.
This offer implied a traffic volume of max. 190 GB per month, so nobody can say this hosting would be unprofessional. A web-presence could be realized fast, probably within two days, even if this offer would be used only for a transitional period.
Further, in my opinion, this downtime is home-made by the incompetence of the decision-maker(s) of both sites.
Nevertheless I wish the best for the future for the hive and Rhodium's site.

~Mephisto

Visit the German synthesis collection LambdaSyn and our new LambdaForum!
chemoleo
Biochemicus Energeticus

Mood: crystalline

[*] posted on 14-12-2004 at 17:23

Although I am not really a bee, I suspect it's a matter of who controls the information. Hosting it elsewhere would mean relenting some control, and the site owners probably don't want that.

Never Stop to Begin, and Never Begin to Stop...
Tolerance is good. But not with the intolerant! (Wilhelm Busch)
Mephisto
Chemicus Diabolicus

[*] posted on 14-12-2004 at 22:29

If the alternative to this "risky" hosting is no web-presence, than that's a poor choice, IMHO. However, there's no rational reason, why someone who is already hosting some projects, should manipulate one of the sites, he's hosting. Just to make hoax and ruin his reputation? Further, the link between the hive/rhodium domain and the hosting-server could be cut immediately in such cases.

Polverone
Now celebrating 21 years of madness

Mood: Waiting for spring

[*] posted on 14-12-2004 at 23:11

Yes, but letting it be hosted on another machine means that someone could copy the forum database, read private messages, monitor all visitor traffic, try to break people's passwords and use them on email accounts, etc. Of course this is always the case unless the machine is physically secured under the watchful eye of the site operator. I wouldn't accept a random offer of hosting for this site either unless it was from somebody I had already known for some time.

Still, the fund-driving request for a new server strikes me as a bit odd. The hosting costs for a site as busy as the Hive must be pretty substantial. How are they paying for that, and why can't the same money be used to buy computer hardware? Adequate server hardware is almost certainly going to be cheaper than a year of service. There seem to be enough computer enthusiasts among the Hive powers-that-be that at least one of them should already have enough spare parts lying around to build a beefy web server and (if necessary) separate database server to support the web server.

PGP Key and corresponding e-mail address
Mephisto
Chemicus Diabolicus

[*] posted on 15-12-2004 at 04:10

This password argument is a good point. It depends, whether the passwords are saved as plain text or if something like the crypt method is used (in which the user-passwords aren't saved, but rather a hash of them).

As said, those disadvantages exist in the same manner, if a firm hosts the site. Thinking, that those employers won't fail, because they are paid for the hosting is a misbelief.

HRH_Prince_Charles
Hazard to Self

Mood: Bombastic

[*] posted on 15-12-2004 at 06:00

I suspect that is why The Hive is taking so long to find a host. It can't just be any host.

Loather of monstrous carbuncles, lover of organic melons and servant girls.
solo
International Hazard

Mood: ....getting old and drowning in a sea of knowledge

[*] posted on 15-12-2004 at 11:57
Ref. Value of forum Archives

If one had to put on a price for the contents of the Hive and Rhodium's complete with all the pdf's indexed what would that price be......I think that over time one can see the monitary value of this valuable asset now think of the value of the science madness forum content along with the associated ftp......

Now that the Hive has been put on hold one sees the value of such forums and how fortunate we are to be part of it.......solo

It's better to die on your feet, than live on your knees....Emiliano Zapata.
Vitus_Verdegast
Hazard to Others

Mood: tea time

[*] posted on 16-12-2004 at 05:41
greetings kamrad Eisenstein!

Quote:

We, Rrrrrrrussians, have a certain way of adding the necessary amount of drama in handling flasks and beakers.

Seeing Dennis_Pro succesfully decarboxylating tryptophan in a FBF on his stove, this can only be possible after making a pact with the devil. He's the Rachmaninov of hyperlab.. :D
Chemcraze
Harmless

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 16-12-2004 at 09:06
Rhodium mirror

I've found this rhodium mirror:
Rhodium mirror
Organikum
resurrected

Mood: busy and in love

[*] posted on 17-12-2004 at 06:43
freedom of information

All this security brimborium of the-hive staff and antoncho posting all admins e-mail addresses which are otherwise top-secret openly on some drug-forum! :D Oh, my god!

Actually I dont want ANYBODY to control the information of the-hive, this control psychosis is one of the reasons for this information gone and it will get repeated as history repeats itself when not learned from it.

I WANT the-hive in the wayback machine, I want the information mirrored all over the net!
Thats what freedom of information is all about, isnt it?

The offer which came over mephisto was a serious one I am fucking sure, my question is now:
How to wind the information, our information which it is, how to wind this information out of the hands of those who dare to patronize us all?

question my be regarded partially solved/hypothetical :P (dont ask)

/ORG

Irgendwas is ja immer
solo
International Hazard

[*] posted on 26-12-2004 at 07:09
Rhodium .....gives bee's some hope

Recently posted at WD
Quote:

FractalFlower
Starting Dreamer
Posted - Dec 26 2004 :  06:56:08 AM      

As the kids of today get greedier every year, Santa couldn't fit any server in his reindeer-powered transportational vehicle, so we're currently at the North Pole trying to negotiate a second delivery round.

It's cold where we are (being at the North Pole and all), but we're thinking about you all and hope you've had a wonderful Christmas celebration with your loved ones.

with love, Fractalflower and Rhodium

UpNatom
Harmless

[*] posted on 27-12-2004 at 13:55
Mods editing posts

Quote:

All this security brimborium of the-hive staff and antoncho posting all admins e-mail addresses which are otherwise top-secret openly on some drug-forum

In an email that was apparently reaching out to hive members and appreciators to donate to help speed the return of the site, don't you think maybe those email addresses were included deliberately as a means for people who don't have the hive mods addresses to get in touch/donate.

I have no idea if that is the case or not but it seems feasible at least. It is the reason I chose not to remove them when I originally cut and pasted the message to here.

I bring this up so late after the original post because I have only just become aware that others on another...chemistry[ahem!] board were getting rather opinionated about this matter, demanding the removal of the email addresses [Edit:] from this site and on checking back on the earlier parts of the thread I find they have in fact been removed from my post. Are the mods of wetdreams also moderating sciencemadness too now?

I sincerely hope someone made a point of contacting Antoncho to see if removing the email addresses was in keeping with his intentions.
Antoncho has not removed them from his original post.

[Edited on 27-12-2004 by UpNatom]
Organikum
resurrected

shocked.gif posted on 28-12-2004 at 03:52
it was me

Antoncho posted the e-mail addresses NOT intentional.
the-hive staff has a strict rule against this it was said.

I was asked by a quite pissed moderator of the-hive if I could do anything to get the addresses removed here, I contacted Polverone and for this certain moderator is a nice and helpful person his wish was fulfilled as it seems.

I am very sure that moderators here and at wetdreams are not identical.

There is absolute no reason to get angry as I believe, yes?

/ORG

Irgendwas is ja immer
UpNatom
Harmless

[*] posted on 29-12-2004 at 11:23

Quote:

I don't understand why you're so out of sorts about this
------
There is no need to get angry as I believe, yes?

Well I'm not really (is it the bold text perhaps? That was to highlight the edit rather than denote anger.)
I was just standing up for the integrity of the information, I thought it was supposed to be that way. I was completely unaware others were going ballistic about it. A u2u would have been quite appropriate in this case....however it is done.

I sincerely hope it doesn't impact negatively on any hive staff. I would certainly not want that.
If_6_was_9
Unregistered

[*] posted on 31-12-2004 at 17:44

The hive will never be what it used to be because of threads like this
http://www.geocities.com/milkmandan2003/Hajj.html

Here's a picture of Vitus the terrorist. Police come and arrest him.
http://www.geocities.com/milkmandan2003/VitusPic.html
If_6_was_9
Unregistered

[*] posted on 31-12-2004 at 17:48

Another thing I want all of you to know is that I reported threads like this to the FBI, the CIA, the Swedish Embassy (the server was in Sweden) in Washington DC, and the ISP that hosts the hive. Yes that's right. I did it.
JohnWW
International Hazard

[*] posted on 31-12-2004 at 17:59

Quote:
Originally posted by If_6_was_9:
Another thing I want all of you to know is that I reported threads like this to the FBI, the CIA, the Swedish Embassy (the server was in Sweden) in Washington DC, and the ISP that hosts the hive. Yes that's right. I did it.

You interfering "do-gooder"! You should have kept out of things that do not concern you. You are now "blacklisted" across the entire internet. Or are you, in fact, a CIA or FBI agent?
solo
International Hazard

[*] posted on 31-12-2004 at 19:05
Ref: If_6_was_9 comments.....Ref:

If_6_was_9......and if you were a man , then you would see how much of a fool you are. Do you believe in the bull the gov dishes out and as a good boy scout you are doing your duty....you are nothing but a poor blind sheep.....solo

neutrino
International Hazard

Mood: oscillating

[*] posted on 31-12-2004 at 20:12

Maybe you're fools for believing this guy…
Icarus
Harmless

Mood: getting warmer

[*] posted on 1-1-2005 at 01:43
Sam I am

Organikum
resurrected

[*] posted on 1-1-2005 at 04:34

The-hive will never be again what it was because now Polythene_Sam will be banned for life I suppose and with right I want to say.
Thats a pity somehow.

Sam, someday you will go out and shoot somebody who looks like a arab and then you will wind up in jail or - because of your families influence - in a mental institution. You are obviously suffering from an open psychosis - get some fucking professional help!

/ORG

Irgendwas is ja immer
vulture
Forum Gatekeeper

[*] posted on 1-1-2005 at 09:52

Quote:

If you really did this, then you are pathetic. If you can't see the difference between a joke and serious intentions, there's no hope for you.

More importantly, some people are going to be fucking pissed off at you. So pissed off they might do something stupid and start an internet smear campaign.

So, when are you going to report us for the whimsey section? Hmm? Get a life.

On the other hand, somebody at the swedish embassy probably pissed their pants while laughing their ass off at your pathetic email.

[Edited on 1-1-2005 by vulture]

One shouldn't accept or resort to the mutilation of science to appease the mentally impaired.
Organikum
resurrected

[*] posted on 1-1-2005 at 10:13

But somebody at *HOST REMOVED BY POLVERONE* might have realized what they are hosting and thrown the-hive out. So we know who is to blame for the-hive being down and who is liable to do this to other boards in the next future.

Gladly it is not hard to track down Sam´s real name and publishing his "collected works" (drugs and politics) might be a not so bad idea then. "Smear campaign" is such a ugly word for this.....
I feel tempted, I admit, but I wont do it. But my tolerance is stressed to the utmost limit now I have to add.

/ORG

[Edited on 1-7-2005 by Polverone]

Irgendwas is ja immer
trilobite
Hazard to Others

Mood: lonely

[*] posted on 1-1-2005 at 14:06

Some time ago the web site of the Chechen rebels, http://www.kavkazcenter.com , got closed pretty much because the Finnish authorities didn't like the fact that someone in Finland hosted a site so strongly politically opposed to the Russia. There was nothing illegal on that website, but it didn't take a court order to close it -- only self-censorship which is the typical way stuff like that is dealt with in that country. I think it was the secret service SUPO calling the person who hosted the site, who then decided he didn't want the pressure and publicity.

After that the site opened up again in Sweden where the Swedish secret service SÄPO reviewed the contents of the site and decided they should do nothing about it as there was nothing illegal. After that it has been hosted there, as it is of now. Traceroute it if you want.

So Sam, your call to the Swedish embassy is most likely as good as nothing because they actually have freedom of speech over there, which you seem to oppose. I'm sure you would have made a good East-German citizen, keeping an eye open at those citizens who are unpatrio... I mean enemies of the revolution, and then telling STASI about it. That's pretty much the way people were controlled in Eastern block countries, you know.

Edit: One more thing: this is why you telling about your call to the embassy made me laugh out loud!

[Edited on 1-1-2005 by trilobite]
vulture
Forum Gatekeeper

[*] posted on 1-1-2005 at 14:30

I think If_6_was_9 envied a job at NSA or CIA, got depressed when rejected, then tried his luck at the TIPS program which was shutdown and now he's stuck reporting websites to the government and copy pasting gibberish into forums.

One shouldn't accept or resort to the mutilation of science to appease the mentally impaired.
 Pages:  1  2    4    6  ..  13

Go To Top