Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Rocket Fuel
deadsexy
Harmless

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 15-10-2003 at 20:44
Rocket Fuel

I am going to do a science project for school, which includes rocket fuel. I am going to add different sized alcohols to the fuel and test which expends the most energy and heat. Then I will do the same thing with different hydroxides:D. The fuel I am going to use is supposedly the rocket fuel that NASA uses for its booster rockets, but I am kind of skeptical. The fuel includes: 69.9% Ammonium Perchlorate, 12.04% Polybutadiene, 1.96% Epoxy curing agent, 16% Al powder, and .07% Iron Oxide. I know that the NH4 Perchlorate is the oxidizer, the epoxy is to make it somewhat castable, the Al is the fuel, and the Iron oxide is a catalyst. But I have no idea what the Polybutadiene is for, does anyone know? Also I have no source for the polybutadiene, is there a substitute I could use for it or I could synthesize it but I think it would be pretty difficult. Does anyone have any suggestions at all? And finally does anyone know how I would go about compiling all of these chemicals into this solid fuel? Yes I know it seems like I should know all of this before starting a project, but I have just come up with it a few days ago. I would appreciate any help someone could give me.
Blind Angel
National Hazard

Mood: Meh!

[*] posted on 15-10-2003 at 22:08

Well, NASA has many Millions of $ of budget/years... maybe you should stick to easier fuel, used some years ago H<sub>2</sub>O<sub>2</sub> or H<sub>2</sub> + O<sub>2</sub>

For Polybutanediene: http://www.psrc.usm.edu/macrog/pb.htm doesn't seem very complex but need to be bought...

[Edited on 16-10-2003 by Blind Angel]

/}/_//|//) /-\\/|//¬/=/_
My PGP Key Fingerprint: D4EA A609 55E4 7ADD 8529 359D D6E2 33F6 4C76 78ED
DDTea
National Hazard

Mood: Degenerate

[*] posted on 16-10-2003 at 07:35

What a school you have, that would let you have such a composition for a science project! And I must say, you are looking to put a lot of effort into this project...

Is there any reason why you want to use the NASA rocket fuels? I ask because there are many simpler, but powerful fuels available. Try looking into some Ammonium Nitrate-based compositions. Or, as was suggested, the H2O2 route... 30% H2O2 is available at pool stores, and for a school project I would not want to go much higher than that.
Mephisto
Chemicus Diabolicus

Mood: swinging

[*] posted on 16-10-2003 at 08:19

deadsexy:
Your project looks very difficult to prepare. Nevertheless, it should be possible to substitute your polybutadiene through polyurethane (PUR). I found some years ago a polyurethane resin in a hobby-store, it was used to create rivers, sea and ponds in model landscapes. Unfortunately it was quite expensive. Good luck with your project.
deadsexy
Harmless

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 16-10-2003 at 13:53

Yes, I am in a very small school, about 18 or so kids in my entire grade. The science department at our school is very open to many things. I even told them that I wanted to be in demolition when I grew up and my chem teacher started talking about how they would find a way for me to be able to make explosives for my project. I said no and pretended I knew nothing of the sort. I didn't really want people knowing that I have the knowledge to create explosives.

The reason I didn't go the NH4NO3 route was because of its explosive uses, I just didn't want to mix that kind of stuff and school together. I am still not completely sure on my fuel yet, but tomorrow I will talk with my teacher about the well known H2O2 fuel. I don't really want to use any gases that have to be under pressure to be a liquid such as O2 and H2. I will be testing my fuels in a "bomb calorimeter." At the end I might make a rocket and use the fuel and alcohol or hydroxide with the most energy output. I am aware of the difficulty of this project, but I am prepared for the worst and excited to get this thing started. Thanks for all the help so far and if you want I will keep you updated on my progress.

Go To Top