Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Gabriel-Colman rearrangement application
amrhamed2
Hazard to Self

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 11-3-2008 at 13:05
Gabriel-Colman rearrangement application

I am stuck in a synthesis problem and I have searched hard to find a clue but didn't find a solution

I want to get the compound number 2
The question is Can I apply Gabriel colman rearranngment to obtain compound no 2 the same way it was applied to get compound 1 . If not what shall I do to get it?

r.png - 58kB

amr h mahmoud
JohnWW
International Hazard

[*] posted on 12-3-2008 at 00:35

Those heterocyclic azasulfones, with hexavalent S bonded to a secondary-amine H in the ring fused to a benzene ring, that you want to make, are structurally very similar to the artificial sweetener Saccharin, except that in the latter the N and S are in a 5-membered ring, without the side-chain, and with a keto-group in place of the -OH. It is about 3,500 times sweeter than sucrose, but it bears no structural relation to any natural sugars.

Are you interested in those compounds as possible artificial sweeteners? Saccharin has been banned in Canada because of concerns over its long-term safety, and possibly some other countries, but not in the USA. Sodium cyclamate, which is 300 times sweeter tham sucrose, also has a secondary-amine N bonded to hexavalent sulfur (and to a cyclohexyl group), being also a sodium sulfonate salt, but it is not heterocyclic or aromatic.

[Edited on 12-3-08 by JohnWW]
not_important
International Hazard

[*] posted on 12-3-2008 at 01:15

The Gabriel-Colman ring expansion requires that the group attached to the nitrogen have an enolizable hydrogen :

N-CH2-CO2R

It might be possible that using mono-halo-succinic ester in place of the halo-acetic ester would give a precursor that could be hydrolysed to the free acid, the decarboxylated to your target. This is just guesswork, not anything I've seen.
amrhamed2
Hazard to Self

[*] posted on 12-3-2008 at 07:10

To not important ...........this is a good idea ......I will try
Thanks very much

amr h mahmoud
amrhamed2
Hazard to Self

[*] posted on 15-3-2008 at 13:20

Some of my friends have doubt that decarboxylation will take place
Have anybody experience with that ? and what is the solution then?

amr h mahmoud
chemrox
International Hazard

Mood: LaGrangian

[*] posted on 16-3-2008 at 00:20

High boiling ether workup at the end? Thanks for the chemistry.

[Edited on 16-3-2008 by chemrox]

"When you let the dumbasses vote you end up with populism followed by autocracy and getting back is a bitch." Plato (sort of)
amrhamed2
Hazard to Self

[*] posted on 16-3-2008 at 10:30

Sorry chemrox ...plz give me an example how will that work and an evidence if u can

amr h mahmoud
amrhamed2
Hazard to Self

[*] posted on 28-3-2008 at 08:22

There is an article which discuss the behavior of decarboxylation

3-​Oxo-​1,2-​benzoisothiazoline-​2-​acetic Acid 1,1-​Dioxide Derivatives. I. Reaction of Esters with Alkoxides

Celia B. Schapira, Isabel A. Perillo, Samuel Lamdan

Departamento de Quimica Organica, Facultad de Farmacia y Bioquimica, Universidad Nacional de Buenos Aires, Junin 956, Buenos Aires, Republica Argentina

Reaction of 3-​oxo-​1,2-​benzoisothiazoline-​2-​acetic acid alkyl esters 1,1-​dioxide (1a-​d) with alkaline alkoxides was carried out under various conditions. Under mild conditions, o-​(N-​carboxymethylsulfamyl)benzoic acids dialkyl esters (2a-​d) were obtained with good yields. Reaction of 1a-​d or 2a-​d with sodium alkoxides under drastic conditions afforded 4-​hydroxy-​2H-​1,2-​benzothiazine-​3-​carboxylic acid alkyl esters 1,1-​dioxide (3a-​d). Transesterification was observed when esters 1b-​d were treated with sodium methoxide in methanol. Esters 3a-​d were hydrolyzed in concentrated aqueous sodium hydroxide affording the acid 6. Attempts to recrystallize 6 from water resulted in its decarboxylation to give 2H-​1,2-​benzothiazine-​4-​(3H)one 1,1-​dioxide (7). Compound 6 could not be obtained by acid hydrolysis of esters 3a-​d or by rearrangement of 3-​oxo-​1,2-​benzoisothiazoline-​2-​acetic acid 1,1-​dioxide (8). Different experimental evidence supports the suggestion that rearrangement took place by ethanolysis of the carboxamide linkage affording the open sulfonamides (fast step) followed by a Dieckmann cyclization (slow step). It was demonstrated that transesterification took place in the open sulfonamides 2

Plz if anyone has access to this article ,post it :(
Journal of heterocyclic chemistry 17(6), 1281-8; 1980

[Edited on 28-3-2008 by amrhamed2]

amr h mahmoud
jizmaster
Harmless

[*] posted on 28-3-2008 at 09:05

beta-Keto esters are supposedly quite easy to decarboxylate by hydrolysis of the ester followed by acidification. It goes by a six-membered ring transition state with the ketone removing the acid proton and formation of CO2 and the enol of the ketone, which tautomerises to the ketone.

The article you posted says it decarboxylated when trying to crystallise so it must be very easy for that compound, whatever it is!
amrhamed2
Hazard to Self

[*] posted on 28-3-2008 at 09:39

Plz revise this
In fig 1
To obtain the product 3a ,I can use decarboxylation then what to be done? .......protect amine and use methyl 2-bromoacetate ......Is there away to obtain 3a without protection ???

In fig 2
Using 2-bromosuccinate with saccharin ....Will it give 1b which upon decarboxylation form 2b ???

noha4.png - 24kB

amr h mahmoud

Go To Top