Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2
Author: Subject: Paint creation thread
zed
International Hazard

Mood: Semi-repentant Sith Lord

[*] posted on 23-11-2015 at 16:39

"No problem buying poppy seeds for use in cooking, the art supply store in town sells refined poppy seed oil without any issues for painting. I have never noticed an issue getting either of these things in the US"

Indeed, it can be obtained. My concern was price.

Last time I bought a gallon of Linseed Oil, it was 16.00 dollars US.

Current Home Depot price, $24.00 one gallon.

[Edited on 24-11-2015 by zed]
AJKOER
Radically Dubious

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 26-11-2015 at 14:07

Quote: Originally posted by YT2095  
you should try some Lead/Chrome and Silver/chrome complexes, they make great Yellow and Red pigments respectively.

Here is a path to Turner's yellow by boiling aqueous NaCl with PbO, followed by heating the formed basic lead chloride. This was a commercial patent (so called Scheele's process), which also makes NaOH. Here is an extract from Atomistry (link: http://lead.atomistry.com/basic_lead_chlorides.html ), to quote:

"PbCl2.3PbO is also supposed to be produced in Scheele's process for manufacturing caustic soda by the action of litharge on sodium chloride solution, thus:

2NaCl + 4PbO + H2O ⇔ 2NaOH + PbCl2.3PbO,

but according to Berl and Austerweil the compound PbCl2.4PbO.2H2O is produced when a normal solution of sodium chloride is employed, thus:

2NaCl + 5PbO + H2O ⇔ 2NaOH + PbCl2.4PbO.

The hydroxychloride formed in Scheele's process turns yellow when heated till it is anhydrous. In 1787 Turner took out a patent for preparing caustic soda by Scheele's reaction, and the ignited basic chloride was employed as a pigment under the name of Turner's yellow, or patent yellow. "

Read also Atomistry comments on Lead monoxide at http://lead.atomistry.com/lead_monoxide.html .

[Edit] An interesting variation would be to substitute KCl for NaCl for the possible creation of KOH.

[Edited on 26-11-2015 by AJKOER]
Amos
International Hazard

Mood: No

[*] posted on 27-11-2015 at 05:53

In addition, Chrome Orange can easily be prepared by making a suspension of lead(II) chromate (Chrome Yellow) in boiling water, and with strong stirring, adding small amounts of sodium hydroxide until a rich orange is produced. To prevent the color changing any further, you can quickly pour the contents of the beaker into ice cold water to dilute the reaction mix, and then filter. The pigment is lightfast and very stable unless exposed to strongly acidic or strongly alkaline solutions.

gatosgr
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 27-11-2015 at 11:14

I found that you can use CaO as a drying agent for linseed oil what do you guys use except for boiling it? Have you thought about reacting the linseed oil with something else to make the chain bigger and maybe stronger? I've found some use maleic acid fumaric acid or glucosides to extend the chain.

I bought some linseed oil for 7$/lt which is a rip off btw it used to cost 3$ or less per liter.

zed
International Hazard

Mood: Semi-repentant Sith Lord

[*] posted on 27-11-2015 at 17:43

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cobalt_phosphate

Cobalt Violet, interesting color.

The eye may be confused by such colors. We might sometimes think of Violet as being a mix of Red and Blue. But a true Violet is damned hard to come by.

In fact, it appears to me, that the above Wiki page, is showing an allegedly Violet swatch, that isn't.

Accept no substitute.

[Edited on 28-11-2015 by zed]
morsagh
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 28-11-2015 at 04:24

Very interesting is antimony pentasulfide from reaction of acid and schlippe's salt. It is really nice gold colour.

IMG_8654.JPG - 3.5MB
Argentum
Harmless

Mood: UV light

[*] posted on 29-11-2015 at 18:00

Quote: Originally posted by zed  
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cobalt_phosphate

Cobalt Violet, interesting color.

The eye may be confused by such colors. We might sometimes think of Violet as being a mix of Red and Blue. But a true Violet is damned hard to come by.

In fact, it appears to me, that the above Wiki page, is showing an allegedly Violet swatch, that isn't.

Accept no substitute.

[Edited on 28-11-2015 by zed]

Actually that lavender-like color of cobalt phosphate is produced by mixing pink and light blue, or you could say red, blue and white. In fact, as far as I know to make that color you have to use more white than blue and red together.
 Pages:  1  2

Go To Top