Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Review: buying Cobalt (II) chloride on alibaba
valeg96
Hazard to Others

Mood: Moodless

thumbup.gif posted on 2-11-2018 at 04:27
Review: buying Cobalt (II) chloride on alibaba

After spending years trying to refine cobalt from battery waste, I finally decided to buy some proper cobalt source to save some HP.

Being a huge Aliexpress buyer, I decided to try alibaba, and it was an excellent idea. Since I commit to spreading the word about the very few sellers and individuals who are going to help home chemists, I'm writing this review.

The company is Famouschem, an alibaba premium company with trade assurance (alibaba's customer protection, fundamental for a newbie like me!). I have received top assistance from the sales manager, Jack, who guided me through all of the procedure, replied to my dumb questions and even made me a discount after learning that I'm a private buyer with limited budget.

I ended up buying 1 kg (minimum order quantity) of 98.5% CoCl2 hexahydrate for around 100€, s&h included in the final price. Packaging was very solid, shipping was crazy fast through a courier, and took about 3 days. The company also provided me with an up-to-date certificate of analysis.

Considering that ebay and small websites usually offer the same product for 2-4x the price, Sigma and other companies offer it for 8-10x the price, it was a really good bargain that will hopefully keep me busy with coordination compounds for a good while.

*The white dots in the photo are small shiny crystals

IMG_20181019_210240.jpg - 2.8MB

fusso
International Hazard

[*] posted on 2-11-2018 at 04:59

98.5% only?! So whats the remaining 1.5?

valeg96
Hazard to Others

Mood: Moodless

[*] posted on 2-11-2018 at 05:35

Sorry but 98.5% is not surprising at all. A quick overview:

I paid around 100 €/kg.

Sigma-Aldrich sells 255599 Cobalt(II) chloride hexahydrate ACS reagent, 98% for 624 €/kg.

Aldrich also sells 769495 Cobalt(II) chloride hexahydrate, ≥97% for 870 €/kg.

If you want to step up the game, Sigma-Aldrich sells 31277 Cobalt(II) chloride hexahydrate
puriss. p.a., ACS reagent, reag. Ph. Eur., 98-102% for almost 2000 €/kg.

From what you can read in the certificates, which are pretty much comparable (except for the last, obviously) most of the impurities are iron, copper and sodium.
I'm pleased there's so little nickel and iron in what I bought tbh.

Let's remember that even though universities and big customers get a 30-50% discount on catalogue prices, we (at least I) don't.

coa china.PNG - 348kB COA sigma.PNG - 16kB coa sigma 97.PNG - 11kB coa sigma pure.PNG - 20kB

fusso
International Hazard

[*] posted on 2-11-2018 at 06:06

That actually look pretty pure!

Go To Top