Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: breaking a nitroethane/ toluene azeotrope
LoKi
Harmless

Mood: manic

[*] posted on 15-3-2008 at 19:20
breaking a nitroethane/ toluene azeotrope

alright, I have mixture of approx. 75% toluene, 25% nitroethane fractionaly distilled (azeotrope reported bp 106, composition as stated from some site that references NIST). I was thinking of forming the sodium salt of nitroethane with NaOH, but I'm not sure if adding an acid like HCl will simply liberate the nitroethane or react with the nitroethane, not to mention the two phase system complicates things. Is this the right approach, or is there a better solution? Nitroethane is slightly soluble in water (4.5 g/ 100 ml if memory serves), so I outa be able to form the salt with an aqueous sol. NaOH and heavy stirring for a couple hours, right? I just read a patent that describes forming nitroalkane salts in order to halogenate them (nitromethane with Cl2, not the same as reacting with HCl I know but I gotta wonder if the salt is more susceptable, ya know?). any help would SO be appreciated.
leu
Hazard to Others

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 16-3-2008 at 17:49

You'd be better off not bothering with those salts :) The nitroethane/toluene azeotrope boils at 106.2ºC so one would need to add an entrainer that doesn't form an azeotrope with nitroethane but does with toluene and boils at a lower temperature than the nitroethane/toluene azeotrope :P This procedure is commonly known as azeotropic distillation ;) Two common entrainers that don't form azeotropes with nitroethane are water that forms an azeotrope with toluene that boils between 84ºC and 85ºC and methanol that forms an azeotrope with toluene boiling between 62º to 64ºC :cool:

Chemistry is our Covalent Bond
Zinc
Hazard to Others

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 17-3-2008 at 08:30

Did you find nitroethane in a OTC source?

Organikum
resurrected

Mood: busy and in love

shocked.gif posted on 7-3-2013 at 04:52
Nitroethane properties

Thats an old thread I know but Google brought it quite on top when searching for nitroethane + azeotropes so I think it might be a decent service to manhood. ;)

Nitroethane forms very well an azeotrope with water, this boils at 87,2°C. So this is not useable here. methanol is usable though.

Thats what astounded me so very much as it is always recommended to use toluene as water carrier in Henry condensations. But the toluene/water azeotrope itself boils between 84/85°C as stated and the nitroethane/water azeotrope boils at 87,2°C thats to close to get any separation in my eyes, and what it actually says that toluene as watercarrier is just not nercessary at all, the nitroethane does this already by itself.
If a watercarrier is deemed necessary, something considerably loer boiling would be advised - ether for example or DCM (if this does not mess up the reaction?).
The lowered temperature in the reaction will of course make it take considerably longer, some days probably.

Attached the nitroethane data sheet with some more useful information

Attachment: nitroethane_properties.pdf (139kB)
This file has been downloaded 873 times

Go To Top