Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2    4    6  7
Author: Subject: Home Chemistry Society
Phosphor-ing
Hazard to Others

Mood: Inquisitive

[*] posted on 1-4-2008 at 05:59

I would love to help/contribute any way I can.

"The nine most terrifying words in the English language are: 'I'm from the government and I'm here to help.'" -Ronald Reagan
CyrusGrey
Hazard to Others

Mood: Oooh! Shiny!

[*] posted on 1-4-2008 at 18:38

Quote:
This is totally insane :mad: :mad:

I am not allowed to move the homechemistry.org domain for the next 60 days to the new hosting bundle. This is due to US-regulation and this limitation only exists for .net, .org, .com and .biz domains. According to regulations (which have to do with personal integrity) no modifications may be made to such toplevel domains at a frequency larger than once per 2 months. I never heard of such limitations (I also have a .nl domain and I never found such limitations on this).

What? I have never head of this, nor has my dad. It sounds completely inane, stupid, etc. Though I suppose I shouldn't be suprised, we have many stupid laws and regulations here (i.e. "If an elephant is left tied to a parking meter, the parking fee has to be paid just as it would for a vehicle."). What do they mean by personal integrity?
woelen
Super Administrator

Mood: interested

[*] posted on 1-4-2008 at 23:54

It is not clear to me what they are meaning with this, but the 60 day period is very real :(

Go to google and type the following in the search bar:

transfer domain name 60 days

Read some links and you will become quite unhappy with this. Summarizing it, when something changes with a domain name record (registrar, administrative contact, owner), then the domain is locked for the next 60 days. This only is true for .com, .org, .net, .biz and .info domains. No such limitation exists for other toplevel domainnames.

I read a little further, and this limitation apparently is imposed upon us by ICANN:

http://www.icann.org/transfers/dnholder-faq-03nov04.htm

[Edited on 2-4-08 by woelen]

The art of wondering makes life worth living...
Want to wonder? Look at https://woelen.homescience.net
CyrusGrey
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 2-4-2008 at 10:46

I think I found out why they they impose such a stupid order. From Wikipedia:

Quote:

ICANN (pronounced /aɪkæn/, eye-can) is the Internet Corporation for Assigned Names and Numbers. Headquartered in Marina Del Rey, California, ICANN is a California non-profit corporation that was created...

I don't like the idea that something vital to the internet is controlled by mainly by one organization, based mainly in the US or anywhere. Somone who has power over the domain names and IP adresses might be able to redirect internet traffic flow anywhere they want.

[Edited on 2-4-2008 by CyrusGrey]
woelen
Super Administrator

[*] posted on 2-4-2008 at 11:17

I now have the new hosting bundle with the 1 GByte disk space and all other goodies.
The domain, however, still is NOT transferred to the new hosting provider, but they already gave me disk space and login codes.

I put the following on the webspace for now:

http://www.homechemistry.org/

I asked the hosting provider if they are willing to keep this webspace up and running for me. I simply pointed the IP-address to the host on which the domain will be hosted, but this is not a legal construction from the point of view of the new hosting provider. They normally only provide hosting space if they also are the registrar for the domain. Hopefully they will be lax about this. I asked them to take the money from my account for the hosting bundle, but till now they didn't. Normally they only charge if the domain transfer is complete and they are the registrar.

So, technically it works and we could do all with the domain we want, but from an administrative point of view this is not a kosher situation and if the new hosting provider does not like this, they can simply remove all of the site, I have no foot to stand on right now :(. I'll keep you updated and I really hope that this issue will be resolved in a satisfactory way.

I read on Internet about horror stories about such transfers. The worst thing I read was from a Dutch woman, who has to wait for 193(!!!) days before the domain was set free again for transfer to another registrar. Every time, something went wrong and the stuff was reset again. F*cking rules :mad:

woelen
Super Administrator

thumbup.gif posted on 3-4-2008 at 02:50
Temporary solution, thumbs up for one.com!

The new hostingprovider (one.com) is willing to let me use their webspace and other services, even if the domain is not yet transferred to them. They normally require one to have a domain registered by them. I have to pay them manually (their process does not support hosting bundles without a domain and automatic money withdrawal for use of their service), but they are willing to take care of that manually as well.

I have to take care of all DNS-configuration (A-records, NS-records, MX-records and so on, because one.com cannot do that). One.com provides the diskspace and MySQL database. So, although the domain is not yet transferred, it is operational now and even if the domain transfer takes a long time, it is not a problem anymore. The only risk is, that if the domain is not yet tranferred after one year, then I'll have to pay domain registration at two places (one.com and lycos), but this risk is only EUR 7 extra per year, so I do not really care about that. Of course, I will do my best to get the domain transferred as fast as possible, but at least, we can continue. I'm very happy with this.

CyrusGrey, you made a template of a home webpage, could you please upload it somewhere? Then I'll put that on the website and we can continue building more around your template.

Maybe we should share login credentials for the website and the MySQL database with a few people, so that others can upload as well?

CyrusGrey
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 3-4-2008 at 08:31

I think I have some good ideas for the webpage design. I have been working on learning how to make webpages, but don't have anything to show for it yet. Sorry if I implied that I knew what I was doing. :( I did suggest an idea for the template though on page 3 of this thread.

I would like to help in any way I can. My skills with making stuff on the computer are bad though. :(
woelen
Super Administrator

[*] posted on 8-4-2008 at 09:21

I have setup the site right now. I have made a wiki, with the HCS logo and some other goodies.

People can edit pages, but you need to register, otherwise everybody can see your IP-address!! You can create an account (top right) and if you do that, you receive a confirmation link through the supplied email address. Confirm this link by clicking it and then you have full functionality and you can add your own text and watch what happens with your text.

So, I invite you to add content to the site. The main page also can be edited (but only by confirmed accounts). I put some proza in it, but I would love to see someone from you to make a good introduction page for the website.

Just click the following link: http://www.homechemistry.org

I chose this model of a wiki, because it allows many people to contribute to the site, without the need of real web programming skills and without the need to setup all kinds of accounts.

I have the admin account for the wiki site and at a later stage I could differentiate between different users, giving some users more privileges than other users (so-called WikiSysOp privileges). But for the time being, let's concentrate on content. I also will think of setting up a few pages myself, but I also hope that many nice contributions appear from other people.

ScienceGeek
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 8-4-2008 at 10:09

I've got to say...it looks mighty nice!

But now as everyone can edit and/or write articles, doesn't that mean that the site has to be under strict supervision, as to keep the content under some control?

View user's profile Visit user's homepage View All Posts By User This user has MSN Messenger
MagicJigPipe
International Hazard

Mood: Suspicious

[*] posted on 8-4-2008 at 11:16

Yeah, I have a feeling that those guys that came over here attempting to disrupt the forum and badmouth me might try to sabotage it. Let's just keep a good lookout.

Maybe a few other WD members as well. Like I said, just pay close attention.

[Edited on 8-4-2008 by MagicJigPipe]

"There must be no barriers to freedom of inquiry ... There is no place for dogma in science. The scientist is free, and must be free to ask any question, to doubt any assertion, to seek for any evidence, to correct any errors. ... We know that the only way to avoid error is to detect it and that the only way to detect it is to be free to inquire. And we know that as long as men are free to ask what they must, free to say what they think, free to think what they will, freedom can never be lost, and science can never regress." -J. Robert Oppenheimer
ScienceGeek
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 8-4-2008 at 11:39

If we just write a really thorough disclaimer, at least the law will be on our side if someone were to post a detailed procedure for making methamphetamine.

View user's profile Visit user's homepage View All Posts By User This user has MSN Messenger
woelen
Super Administrator

[*] posted on 8-4-2008 at 11:56

I also have experience with wikis where one cannot create accounts, but the admin has to set up accounts. If things are growing wild, then that is an option. But let's see how things develop. The current situation is more friendly and it means less work for me ;). If more stringent policies need to be used, then people have to ask me for setting up an account, but I really hope that this is not necessary. Of course, I also keep on eye on it.

chemkid
Hazard to Others

Mood: polarized

[*] posted on 8-4-2008 at 11:58

Yay, i think i just created the first new page! A link to Other's Pages on the home page. Listing what other, than my own website.

ScienceGeek
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 8-4-2008 at 12:52

Woelen, I agree. Let's keep it simple at the moment!

Also, I am in the process of making a simple blog where I can gather all my videos which are currently on YouTube, so that my site can be linked to as well :)

Jor
National Hazard

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 8-4-2008 at 14:12

Thats nice. Your vids are really good. Keep it up man. 1 Thing: how can you do many dangrous experiments inside without a fume hood? Does your kitchen exaust suck as much are as a fume hood?
For example dissolving mercury in nitric. Neems pretty dirty to me. Not to talk about small aerosols of mercuric nitrate solution being spewed in the air by bubbling.

Woelen, can you add my site as well?

scheikunde.landgoedgemini.nl

I currently have final exams, and the next few weeks the house is being rebuild, so till then no experiments. Possibly Iodoform synthesis and some reactions of it. I still have pictures of that, so maybe if I have time....

Layout is good. Wiki!!!

[Edited on 8-4-2008 by Jor]
ScienceGeek
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 8-4-2008 at 14:47

Thank you very much, Jor :)

There is quite some suction from that kitchen exhaust, but of course not comparable to fume- hoods as the suction is from below.

Experiments that are "not too good to do inside, but it's cold out" are perfomed straight underneath the exhast! As an example: The Synthesis of Mercury Fulminate is done not more than 10 cm below the exhaust, although it doesn't appear like it!

CyrusGrey
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 8-4-2008 at 20:18

Great idea Woelen! I will see if I can add a Frappr map.
MagicJigPipe
International Hazard

[*] posted on 8-4-2008 at 20:38

Be careful. Some kitchen "exhausts" aren't really vented to the outside but simply blow the air out towards the ceiling. I've never really understood the point of that. IMO opinion it's just a waste of space. Mine is like that, though.

Oh yeah, I'm in the process of taking pictures of various pieces of lab equipment and glassware and describing their use and function. That will be my contribution for the time being.

If anybody has some nice pictures of lab equipment I would love to see them so I can incorporate them. PM me!

[Edited on 8-4-2008 by MagicJigPipe]

"There must be no barriers to freedom of inquiry ... There is no place for dogma in science. The scientist is free, and must be free to ask any question, to doubt any assertion, to seek for any evidence, to correct any errors. ... We know that the only way to avoid error is to detect it and that the only way to detect it is to be free to inquire. And we know that as long as men are free to ask what they must, free to say what they think, free to think what they will, freedom can never be lost, and science can never regress." -J. Robert Oppenheimer
ScienceGeek
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 9-4-2008 at 01:02

Luckily my exhaust doesn't do that :)

Great idea with the lab equipment- pictures. I can see if I find time to take some and send them to you!

Duke
Harmless

[*] posted on 9-4-2008 at 07:51

Seems like a lot of people are having trouble with the map. I tried to post my location but it didn't work.

Edit: Nevermind, got it to work

[Edited on 9-4-2008 by Duke]
MagicJigPipe
International Hazard

[*] posted on 9-4-2008 at 09:55

"Home chemistry is opposed to making drugs"

I agree that we should have that position for certain reasons...

However, personally, I don't mind people making drugs as long as it isn't at the expense of others and it is done responsibly. Of course I don't condone breaking the law but morally I have no qualms and it's none of my business what someone does to their body.

Maybe you could say recreational drugs because we don't want to exclude the possibility of say, making aspirin or even attempting to synthesize novel (non-recrational) drugs within the boundries of the law.

Or maybe we could just say we don't condone breaking laws. Maybe we should just avoid mentioning drugs and bombs altogether just to distance ourselves from the very thought. You know, like recreational drugs never even crossed our minds.

[Edited on 4-9-2008 by MagicJigPipe]

woelen
Super Administrator

[*] posted on 9-4-2008 at 10:12

I agree that no mention needs to be made of drugs and bombs. If we mention many good, positive, interesting things, then we do not have to mention that we are against the negative things. We can cover such things, but that can be on some linked page, which is not the starting page.

I'll think about the opening page. If any other people have suggestions, then please let me know. Best is to U2U such ideas to me, everyone editing in the main page does not seem a good idea to me, that would make the site appear very messy. I think that the startup page must be stable very soon and must be protected for editing. Other pages can be handled in a more lax way.

[Edited on 9-4-08 by woelen]

ScienceGeek
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 9-4-2008 at 11:42

Can't we just do it more like Wikipedia does it: No disclaimer or anything like that on the front page (that sort of thing belongs to the "About" page), but instead News, Recent Articles, Fun facts and so on...:P

Any feedback on this?

CyrusGrey
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 9-4-2008 at 14:18

We can put our disclaimer on the HomeChemistry:General disclaimer page. This page is part of the template and is linked to on the bottom of every page.

I got the Frappr map to stop displaying a new pin for every IP that views the page, now it only displays a pin if you choose to put one on it. However, I had to start a new page to do this, so all the previous pins were lost and it woln't let me use my email to put them back up. The good news is that I am now the moderator for this map so I can change the settings if needed in the future without making a new map.

I'm going to work on some new pages for the site. I'll put the drafts up and you guys can tell me what you think.

EDIT: Also, we put up on the map page that some of us want to meet other chemists, but we don't have any contact info if somone wants to meet us!

[Edited on 9-4-2008 by CyrusGrey]
Jor
National Hazard

[*] posted on 9-4-2008 at 14:48

I think you should somewhat worry about the ability of everyone to just change the pages...
 Pages:  1  2    4    6  7

Go To Top