Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Florida University Recommendations
VSEPR_VOID
National Hazard

Mood: Fullerenes

[*] posted on 3-11-2018 at 17:36
Florida University Recommendations

Hello,

I am a senior in high school and am currently finishing my AA degree. I am interested in going to school for chemistry. Does anyone have a recommendation on where to go to university? I am interested in staying in Florida for economic reasons.

Thanks

Within cells interlinked
Within cells interlinked
Within cells interlinked
j_sum1
Administrator

Mood: Organised

[*] posted on 3-11-2018 at 18:07

Send a U2U to MrHomeScientist. He lives in Fl, has industry experience and also has his hand in education (not tertairy level). He is likely to have good anecdotal information to offer.
HeYBrO
Hazard to Others

Mood: :)

[*] posted on 3-11-2018 at 19:13

VSEPR_VOID, do yourself a favour and apply everywhere you can in America; you could get a scholarship and then not have to worry about economic reasons.
Steam
Hazard to Others

Mood: Triple Point

[*] posted on 3-11-2018 at 19:49

I know I am a bit biased here but look into C. engineering or Materials Eng. Both are very lucrative and fulfilling careers for only four years of school, and there are literally so many scholarships out there that you can make money at school. Colorado School of Mines, Missouri S&T, South Dakota School of Mines, Virginia Tech, and Montana Tech all have excellent programs. South Dakota, Missouri, and Montana are all very generous with there scholarships too...

DISCLAIMER: The information in this post is provided for general informational purposes only and may not reflect the current law in your jurisdiction. No information contained in this post should be construed as legal advice from the individual author, nor is it intended to be a substitute for legal counsel on any subject matter. No reader of this post should act or refrain from acting on the basis of any information included in, or accessible through, this post without seeking the appropriate legal or other professional advice on the particular facts and circumstances at issue from a lawyer licensed in the recipient’s state, country or other appropriate licensing jurisdiction.
Texium
Administrator

Mood: PhD candidate!

[*] posted on 3-11-2018 at 22:09

Quote: Originally posted by HeYBrO  
VSEPR_VOID, do yourself a favour and apply everywhere you can in America; you could get a scholarship and then not have to worry about economic reasons.
Speaking from experience here, at least in Texas, in state tuition costs much less than out of state. So I was offered a scholarship of $12,000 a year from an out of state university, but that would still leave me paying $10,000 a year if I went there. On the other hand, a university in Texas offered me $8,000 a year, and that leaves me paying only $1,000, and it was much more convenient. Which would you choose?

[Edited on 11-7-2018 by Texium (zts16)]

Come check out the Official Sciencemadness Wiki
They're not really active right now, but here's my YouTube channel and my blog.
RogueRose
International Hazard

[*] posted on 3-11-2018 at 22:16

You just told me that you were finishing your second year of chemistry at a University in Florida and didn't mention you were still in high school. How are you doing both at once? Was all that you wrote total BS or what?
VSEPR_VOID
National Hazard

[*] posted on 3-11-2018 at 23:14

Quote: Originally posted by RogueRose  
You just told me that you were finishing your second year of chemistry at a University in Florida and didn't mention you were still in high school. How are you doing both at once? Was all that you wrote total BS or what?

Its part of a special program where I take classes at a local state college and at the same time get credit for HS. I started taking AP classes as a freshman.

My grades are okay. I have a gpa of 3.5 I think and an HPA of 4.2. I am working on scholarships. I am a B and A student, and got straight As once. I also have won multiple awards for science at the state level.

Does anyone have any recommendations?

Someone told me that I should go too Berkeley in Ca, and I would be honored, but I am worried about scholarships and the cost of living there.

So far FSU is on my list as a prime candidate but I guess I will also spend applications to MIT and Berkeley.

Within cells interlinked
Within cells interlinked
Within cells interlinked
HeYBrO
Hazard to Others

Mood: :)

[*] posted on 4-11-2018 at 00:41

Quote: Originally posted by Texium (zts16)  
Quote: Originally posted by HeYBrO  
Speaking from experience here, at least in Texas, in state tuition costs much less than out of state. So I was offered a scholarship of $12,000 a year from an out of state university, but that would still leave me paying $10,000 a year if I went there. On the other hand, a university in Texas offered me $8,000 a year, and that leaves me paying only $1,000, and it was much more convenient. Which would you choose?

Neither; i'm in Australia and I have hex debt :) I would still apply for scholarships in any case.

[Edited on 4-11-2018 by HeYBrO]

[Edited on 11-7-2018 by Texium (zts16)]
AJKOER
Radically Dubious

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 5-11-2018 at 05:13

Actually, my best advice depending on your intended occupation is pretend you now have the degree and call the personnel department for one or more target companies. What areas are they or have been hiring? Ask about their hiring criteria like fondness for select schools and then it may not matter much. Grades or class ranking how material?

The next most important area is the background check and things like your credit score especially for insurance and financial companies. There are ways to improve your credit score (like apply for many small borrowing limit cards that you paid promptly each month). The credit scoring companies may lower your credit score due to a large outstanding debts, so if an important factor for your particular career, don't borrow a lot more even for a better school that your prospective employer doesn't really care about.

The last point, based on experience from my fellow workers, is that personal appearance is, at times, extremely important. I remember how my fellow workers really like this female candidate who was 'hot', actually too much skin displayed for the time of year! Upon further review she was the least qualified! In other words, your looks really counts more than it should, read this article https://www.thejournal.ie/readme/appearance-applying-for-a-j... to quote in part:

"The University of Florida has found that for every extra inch of height a tall worker can expect to earn an extra $789 per year. So, with two equally skilled people, the one who is six inches taller can expect a pay difference of $5,000 or so."

One of my bosses actually always wore boots that added at least an inch to his height!

[Edited on 5-11-2018 by AJKOER]
ninhydric1
Hazard to Others

Mood: Bleached

[*] posted on 5-11-2018 at 07:28

If you apply to UC Berkeley it is EXTREMELY hard to get any form of financial support in any way. I have a friend who obtained the National Merit Scholarship from the PSAT when he was in high school, but UCB didn't take it. And also, adding on to zts, in state is often cheaper, so if you do prioritize finances/tuition stay in state. But it doesn't hurt to apply, just to see if you get in;).

The philosophy of one century is the common sense of the next.
Texium
Administrator

[*] posted on 5-11-2018 at 07:35

Another point to make is that if you're planning on pursuing grad school eventually, the institution matters more for that than it does for your undergrad. So if you go to an in state university for your undergrad and do well there, you'll have a good shot at getting into a PhD program at a more prestigious out of state university. And then finances aren't as much of an issue since you'd get a stipend for grad school.

MrHomeScientist
International Hazard

[*] posted on 5-11-2018 at 08:13

Thanks for the bump, j_sum! You know me well, it seems :)

I had a similar choice to make for my education. Had I stayed in Florida it would have been vastly cheaper, but I ended up at Virginia Tech. It's a really great school; I had a fantastic time and got a great education. My degree is in Physics, but all of their engineering programs are excellent as well. Chemical engineering is one of the highest-paying professions, so that's a nice bonus.

I also encourage you to apply to several different places. You never know what opportunities might come up, and all it takes is a little bit of your time. I collected all the college brochures I got in the mail and laid them all out on the floor, and spent a day going through every one. I picked several that I was interested in and sent applications to each one.
Every institution has its pros and cons, and those are things to consider carefully. Things like location, cost, scholarships, reputation, style of campus, etc. The most important aspect, though, is the quality of your education. That's why you're there. That's what will affect your search for jobs and quality as an employee. All the rest will just become a fond memory or a bill that you will eventually pay off and forget about. But knowledge lasts forever. (Well, until you forget it!)

VT also had a great job search website that connected me to my current job, back in Florida. I just typed in my degree and desired state and there it was. I applied, flew down to interview, and was hired within a week of graduating. (That was 10 years ago now. Damn...) All colleges will have job search resources, but it might not be a bad idea to check into that beforehand and see what sort of help each place offers.

Finally if you can afford it, I definitely recommend going on a campus tour. It really helps to get the feel for a place and where you'll fit in.
arkoma
Redneck Overlord

Mood: украї́нська

[*] posted on 5-11-2018 at 12:10

Gotta go with the Gator's, for purely personal reasons. Grew up 30 miles south of Gainesville! I know they have a great agricultural college......

"We believe the knowledge and cultural heritage of mankind should be accessible to all people around the world, regardless of their wealth, social status, nationality, citizenship, etc" z-lib

clearly_not_atara
International Hazard

Mood: Big

[*] posted on 5-11-2018 at 12:14

Quote:
So if you go to an in state university for your undergrad and do well there,

This is a big "if", lots of people have this idea going in but then they learn how fun college is.

[Edited on 04-20-1969 by clearly_not_atara]
Texium
Administrator

[*] posted on 5-11-2018 at 12:25

Quote: Originally posted by clearly_not_atara  
Quote:

This is a big "if", lots of people have this idea going in but then they learn how fun college is.
True enough. I'm managing to stick to it pretty well though- it's my third year and I still have a 3.87 (and I've had my share of fun too ;)).

VSEPR_VOID
National Hazard

[*] posted on 5-11-2018 at 15:58

Quote: Originally posted by Texium (zts16)  
Quote: Originally posted by clearly_not_atara  
Quote:

True enough. I'm managing to stick to it pretty well though- it's my third year and I still have a 3.87 (and I've had my share of fun too ;)).

I am not one for recreation but I have trouble finding motivation for school, especialyly when so many classes fall into the category of fluff, watered-down material, or propaganda .

Within cells interlinked
Within cells interlinked
Within cells interlinked
Plunkett
Hazard to Self

[*] posted on 5-11-2018 at 17:47

Quote: Originally posted by VSEPR_VOID  
I am not one for recreation but I have trouble finding motivation for school, especialyly when so many classes fall into the category of fluff, watered-down material, or propaganda .

Most if not all of your freshman classes are going to be fluff. It sucks, I wish it was not that way, but it does get better. Most technical majors take more or less the same classes in their first year and as a result the professors who teach these classes are not so much focused on engaging the students as getting them through the class. However, as you move up and start to take classes specific to your major, the professors start to care more and the classes become more enjoyable. I am a sophomore studying chemical engineering and right now Thermo I is my favorite class because my professor goes into the theory and derives the equations that professors in the lower classes gloss over. I cannot guarantee that you will get a professor like this but there are gems like him that make it worth it for me, at least sometimes. And while they are what you are paying for, classes are not the end all be all of college. The experiences that engage you and make you want to keep going are not going to be in your curriculum, you have to find them yourself. At least at my school, undergraduate research is a big thing; if one of your professors is doing research on something you find interesting, ask them about it. They may have an open position, or at the very least they will be happy to share more about their research. Texium could probably talk more about this. Another thing to look at is internships/co-ops. Next semester I am going to intern as a process engineer at a bromine and bromine derivatives plant. I will not get any credit towards my degree for it, but it is fun and it teaches skills that cannot be learned from a book. You really get out of college what you put into it.

I can recommend Mississippi State University. While I cannot speak about the chemistry program here, the professors in chemical engineering care about the students, and if you make an effort they will notice. There are fluff classes and watered down classes, but as a I said before, it is an unfortunate price you just have to pay. I was fortunate and came in with enough credit from high school to skip most of these classes, and it sounds like you might as well. As far as finances go, you would have to look at the financial aid website and see what applies to you. A lot of it is based on test scores, but there are scholarships through the different departments and other organizations as well.

[Edited on 6-11-2018 by Plunkett]
MrHomeScientist
International Hazard

[*] posted on 6-11-2018 at 08:56

What classes do you consider "propaganda"?
VSEPR_VOID
National Hazard

[*] posted on 8-11-2018 at 06:59

Anything that is politically motivated, has political influence, or is has its curriculum designed by heavily biased individuals who are interested in spreading their ideology. For example a economics class taught by a professor who self identifies as a communist and talks endlessly about marxist or Leninist theory.

Within cells interlinked
Within cells interlinked
Within cells interlinked
Texium
Administrator

[*] posted on 8-11-2018 at 10:01

Would you be just as offended if they were instead a strong advocate of Laissez-Faire capitalism? Regardless, that seems like a very specific and unlikely scenario...

morganbw
National Hazard

[*] posted on 8-11-2018 at 10:18

It may just be me and my college days have long passed.

From a political point, I feel that being exposed to most of the ideologies is
a great thing. It really helps if you actually know what it is that you are disagreeing about.

I feel the same way about history.

Tsjerk
International Hazard

Mood: Mood

[*] posted on 8-11-2018 at 10:43

I agree with morganbw, knowing about something makes you able to judge, but do you really expect such classes during a chemistry study?
clearly_not_atara
International Hazard

Mood: Big

[*] posted on 8-11-2018 at 11:40

Quote: Originally posted by VSEPR_VOID  
Anything that is politically motivated, has political influence, or is has its curriculum designed by heavily biased individuals who are interested in spreading their ideology. For example a economics class taught by a professor who self identifies as a communist and talks endlessly about marxist or Leninist theory.

In first-year English I had a prof who was really enthusiastic about the natural/slow-food movement. I mostly just played along and took home an A. It's not like it cost me anything, and we got free food some days.

In second-year creative psych we reviewed some studies that had political implications. The professor didn't express strong political opinions, but the implication of the studies was so depressing I decided to stop taking psychology classes.

I think I'm a better person for having taken both courses, though.

[Edited on 04-20-1969 by clearly_not_atara]

Go To Top