Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2
Author: Subject: Californian chemophobia
Aperturescience27
Harmless

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 23-4-2012 at 22:27

Quote: Originally posted by MagicJigPipe  
I'm simply saying that the severity of gun laws in a state or city seems to be indicative of it's practice of increasing regulations across the board.

What about Texas? All the guns you want, but Erlenmeyer flasks? Never!
DieForelle
Hazard to Self

[*] posted on 28-8-2012 at 11:28

Yes, as the Texas example shows, this kind of idiocy can show up just about anywhere.
The California Prop 65 warnings are absurd. Some chemical manufacturers don't want to bother getting approval for any of their products, even non-hazardous ones. Thus a 500 gram bottle of Spectrum Sodium Chloride, USP, says on the side: "This product contains a chemical known in the State of California to cause cancer".

Brain&Force
Hazard to Lanthanides

Mood: Incommensurately modulated

[*] posted on 27-6-2014 at 19:13

Eventually Cheerios will have a Proposition 65 sticker - oh, wait, that almost happened.

I hate it when people say, "If you can't pronounce it, don't eat it or use it!" The thing about us amateur chemists is that we can pronounce dimethylpolysiloxane and selenocysteine without a problem. :D The chemophobes can't even pronounce "linoleic acid," (and are probably deathly afraid of it), yet they eat it every. Single. DAY.

[Edited on 28.6.2014 by Brain&Force]

At the end of the day, simulating atoms doesn't beat working with the real things...
Texium
Administrator

Mood: PhD candidate!

[*] posted on 27-6-2014 at 19:57

Quote: Originally posted by Brain&Force  

I hate it when people say, "If you can't pronounce it, don't eat it or use it!" The thing about us amateur chemists is that we can pronounce dimethylpolysiloxane and selenocysteine without a problem. :D The chemophobes can't even pronounce "linoleic acid," (and are probably deathly afraid of it), yet they eat it every. Single. DAY.
A very good point, and I hate that too, although by the end of her little article she does suggest actually reading and researching about the ingredients in the products, which I find to be much more reasonable than her original claims…
I usually do research unfamiliar ingredients, but more out of curiosity rather than anything else. I think that doing that is actually a really good thing that everybody should do. Not only does it inform you about what it is that you're consuming, but it can be potentially very interesting and actually lessen chemophobia in the long run, as many of the "hard to pronounce" chemicals are actually found to be completely benign upon researching them. Eventually if everyone's doing that, then suspicion regarding artificial ingredients becomes much more measured and reasonable.

Come check out the Official Sciencemadness Wiki
They're not really active right now, but here's my YouTube channel and my blog.
Metacelsus
International Hazard

Mood: Double, double, toil and trouble

[*] posted on 27-6-2014 at 19:58

Hmm... I can pronounce dimethylmercury! :D

As below, so above.

My blog: https://denovo.substack.com
Texium
Administrator

[*] posted on 27-6-2014 at 20:22

Apparently that may become a quite realistic problem in the food of school kids and inmates soon:
http://discovermagazine.com/2014/julyaug/50-dogfish-mercury

Hm, dogfish is cheap… also 30% higher in mercury than tuna, already infamous for its high mercury levels. Let's put it in school lunches! That'll help balance the budget. They'll be fine if they only eat it once a month or so. You know, they're just the generation that's supposed to fix everything that's wrong with the world now. Gotta get 'em off to a healthy start!

arkoma
Redneck Overlord

Mood: украї́нська

[*] posted on 27-6-2014 at 21:49

As a NATIVE Californian, and having spent 30 of my 50 years there, I can weigh in on the OP's original question. The problem, as I see it, is the State Constitution can be AMENDED by 51% of those that BOTHER to vote. Hence we are saddled with a bunch of conflicted bullshit like Prop 65 and Prop 8. The "cancer" warnings and gay marriage ban respectively. But yet CA canna bring itself to legalize something as innocuous as cannabis. "Hippies" my ass. CA is at the mercy (in my biased opinion) of a bunch of "reactionary tree-huggers". Yes that is an oxymoron, but that's how my home is. *sigh* Why I am in NEVADA at the moment LMFAO.

Oh, and we just LOVE to build and FILL penitentiaries in Cali...............ask me how I know.

Edit--BTW, most of Cali is rather RURAL. Los Angeles FUKKIN TERRIFIES me. I've spent three whole days there in my whole life. Don't "tar" the whole state with the LA brush. My home is at the "gateway" to Joshua Tree National Park. I won't even go to Palm Springs without kicking and screaming, and it's actually pretty small. (my home zip code is 92277)

[Edited on 6-28-2014 by arkoma]

"We believe the knowledge and cultural heritage of mankind should be accessible to all people around the world, regardless of their wealth, social status, nationality, citizenship, etc" z-lib

Boron Trioxide
Harmless

[*] posted on 28-6-2014 at 07:36

I think i can win this non existent contest to have the stupidest cancer label ...

On bottled oxygen, apparently a bottle of oxygen you can buy at home depot causes cancer who knew?

Honestly the only way you can tell by a glance if something could potentially cause cancer is some other country declares it a carcinogen. California cancer labels get thrown around so much they lose all effectiveness.

And also for California don get me started on there pollution laws, apparently none of the small engine power equipment we enjoy in the rest of the world can be sold in California. Which apparently means it has to be printed on absolutely everything.

Oxygen.jpg - 272kB
Texium
Administrator

[*] posted on 28-6-2014 at 07:49

Is that really just oxygen, with nothing else in it?
If so, we need to hurry and warn the California state legislature that they're all breathing in a ton of carcinogenic gas every day! (And not even from the smog!)

Boron Trioxide
Harmless

[*] posted on 28-6-2014 at 08:01

I am not sure if it is 100% pure as it is supposed to be used for small scale soldering.
arkoma
Redneck Overlord

[*] posted on 28-6-2014 at 09:10

*OFF TOPIC* sort of:
I just love the hypocrisy of the "Good cheese comes from happy cows" ad campaign. Having traveled extensively in my fair state, I have not once laid eyes on a dairy that was anything other than a feedlot.

See how they frolic in a mountain meadow? LMFAO Feedlots are environmental disasters.
I have a friend from Humboldt county who is a logger--the tr**hu**ers shut him down--yet they just LOVE redwood.

Quote:
Though Gore has long been against logging the old-growth forests of the Pacific Northwest, shortly after being sworn in as Vice President, he added a verandah made of old-growth redwood and Douglas fir to the Vice President's mansion, according to MIT Tech edition.

But try to buy MEK or Xylene........

"We believe the knowledge and cultural heritage of mankind should be accessible to all people around the world, regardless of their wealth, social status, nationality, citizenship, etc" z-lib

Zyklon-A
International Hazard

Mood: Fluorine radical

[*] posted on 28-6-2014 at 14:12

Quote: Originally posted by Boron Trioxide  
I think i can win this non existent contest to have the stupidest cancer label ...

On bottled oxygen, apparently a bottle of oxygen you can buy at home depot causes cancer who knew?

Honestly the only way you can tell by a glance if something could potentially cause cancer is some other country declares it a carcinogen. California cancer labels get thrown around so much they lose all effectiveness.

And also for California don get me started on there pollution laws, apparently none of the small engine power equipment we enjoy in the rest of the world can be sold in California. Which apparently means it has to be printed on absolutely everything.

Not necessarily. Oxygen is killing you!
Free oxygen radicals (which are formed more often then you'd like to think) have been know to cause cancer quite effectively.
Now I doubt any can exist in a O2 cylinder. I imagine the way such substances are categorized as "potentially carcinogenic" relies on different methods, of which are irrelevant to many of the products that stamped with the label: "Potentially carcinogenic".
For example, They (whoever "they" is) probably thought, "Oxygen radicals can cause cancer. This is a oxygen cylinder, so it can cause cancer." Even though under the circumstances of compressed O2, in a steel container, the likelihood of such is almost certainly negligible.

arkoma
Redneck Overlord

[*] posted on 29-6-2014 at 06:06

".........byproducts of the combustion of the contents..........."

Read the label, guys.

MrHomeScientist
International Hazard

[*] posted on 30-6-2014 at 07:53

Quote: Originally posted by Zyklon-A  
For example, They (whoever "they" is) probably thought, "Oxygen radicals can cause cancer. This is a oxygen cylinder, so it can cause cancer."

Probably these guys:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AZ6Ex8E1q50
SM2
Hazard to Others

Mood: Affect

[*] posted on 30-6-2014 at 10:27

Hold on, we talking about the state of So Cal, or N. Cali. Even Mendocino has been ruined somewhat, but way up on Oregon coast, Manzanita is still a nice place to get to. I'll never forgete the bizarre town of Willits N. Cali, a meth town.

"Old men who speak of victory
shed light upon their stolen life
they - drive by night- and act as if they're
moved by unheard music." B. Currie
arkoma
Redneck Overlord

[*] posted on 30-6-2014 at 10:39

^^^LOL, ever been to Twentynine Palms? It's like there is meth in the city water supply

SM2
Hazard to Others

Mood: Affect

[*] posted on 7-8-2014 at 14:57

Quote: Originally posted by pyrochemix  
I want your opinion, why is california so quick to catch on to the political economical propaganda of global warming, environmental pollution and everything thing else. s\

In my opinion, there are several factors working simultaneously here. The bastion of liberalism in the state with the largest GDP (Cali), is Berkeley. Most of Hollywood is leftist, (except N. Hollywood, sorry!), democratic, and with a very large Jewish population (just like New Jersey +Miami/Boca Florida), lol., I'd say ~87% or more. Having so much Democratic representation makes Cali, a sugardaddy for M $street purses. California has a tradition of starting laws, trends, etc. All one must do to have an initiative reviewed for passage, is have like 1000 signatures. So I think there MOST LIKELY is a synergy of factors with a multiple effect, and this synergy accounts for the amplification of your observations. Just the exponential effect. I still can not believe with a straight face that Isreali / US relations hit a new low. We're not fooling NO-ONE. The US+Isreal are joined at hip. The US has six humongous underground, permanent military bases constructed in Isreal. http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&a...

Humus's & Olive-spread had tunnels no more. Sure, I actually have a very close Palestinian friend to our family, and she is the most decent person you will ever meet....but STILL, my dark side wants to shoot all those tunelling roaches with a big propane blow torch. OFF TOPIC NOE: I know it sounds sick, and I almost always want to save even an insect if possible. But I do have a dark desire that if I were to stumble upon like a 500Lb mound of tiny red ants/termites, I would SO love to torch them all with the big torch, and hear all the popping. Guess I'd have to look out for formic acid vapor.

Yours truly

So why I once called Anders Hoveland? The attempt is so nerdy (I do like nerds as I am one) that the laughter is shared at most between several very close only friends. SO, Very close, just short of incestual intimacy. And one's knowledge of some name or topic does not mean that person therefore has some very cool and connected intellectual attributes.

"Old men who speak of victory
shed light upon their stolen life
they - drive by night- and act as if they're
moved by unheard music." B. Currie
Zyklon-A
International Hazard

Mood: Fluorine radical

[*] posted on 8-8-2014 at 09:37

Quote: Originally posted by arkoma  
".........byproducts of the combustion of the contents..........."

Read the label, guys.

So I finally got around to reading the label...
It says, "This container, and byproducts of the combustion of it's contents contain chemicals know to [...]"
So you're only half right.
Read the label guy.:P

[Edited on 8-8-2014 by Zyklon-A]

arkoma
Redneck Overlord

[*] posted on 8-8-2014 at 09:54

:P

NitratedKittens
Hazard to Others

Mood: Carbonated

[*] posted on 27-11-2016 at 07:36

Quote: Originally posted by Brain&Force  
Eventually Cheerios will have a Proposition 65 sticker - oh, wait, that almost happened.

Not to mention they would be terrified of
2-Amino-4-methylpentanoic acid and would probably consider it poison, yet they contain large amounts of it and need it for nearly every protein to function.

Basket of kittens for you ........BOOM
 Pages:  1  2

Go To Top