Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Catalysis- The Science of Catalyst Selection
7he3ngineer
Harmless

Mood: above average

[*] posted on 20-3-2008 at 03:34
Catalysis- The Science of Catalyst Selection

A question that has long plaqued me is; "How is an appropriate catalyst found for a reaction?" That is, is there a true science behind finding a catalyst for a certain reaction, or is it more trial and error? Catalysts are so important to so many chemical reactions, I find it hard to believe that I have not been able to find an answer (in all honesty I've thought that in the past, I was asking a really dumb question!).

There is new research in Catalysis going on at the moment in the area of organocatalysis. This is where comparitively simple organic molecules are sought to replace the use of the more traditional metal-containing catalysts (for economic reasons mostly). However, I still get the impression that this may very well be research by trial and error.

An incomplete googlebook that I have found ( Catalysis of Organic Reactions by Michael Scaros) gives me the impression that although there are traits that are looked for, literature that is examined and certain tell tale characteristics, it is a trial and error approach and not a 'true' science as such.

So does anyone here know for sure? What do we think? and why does no one seem to give this 'element' of chemistry any thought?

Josh

Engineers aren\'t boring people, we\'re just interested in boring things!
solo
International Hazard

Mood: ....getting old and drowning in a sea of knowledge

[*] posted on 20-3-2008 at 05:16

There are three different year publication of this book at gigapedia.org (must register to see the download link) , and also recomend Rylander's book on the subject .....there is a certain amount of trial and error in all the sciences.....but then there is a margin of distance from the theory to the real world results........solo

It's better to die on your feet, than live on your knees....Emiliano Zapata.
Nicodem
Super Moderator

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 20-3-2008 at 05:43

The development of catalysts for organic reactions is based on reaction mechanism. Once the mechanism is determined to a certain degree of certainty, it is not so very difficult to find a catalyst for the reaction (if the catalysis is possible or needed). The problem is then the development of efficient and economic catalysts. This second part of the development is quite trial and error based.
7he3ngineer
Harmless

Mood: above average

[*] posted on 21-3-2008 at 16:35

Thankyou both for your replies. As I said, this is something that I have long wondered about.

I will check out Rylander's book and gigapedia... thanks solo:)

Josh

Engineers aren\'t boring people, we\'re just interested in boring things!

Go To Top