Sciencemadness Discussion Board
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Solid Phase Reaction Vessel?
MagicJigPipe
International Hazard

Mood: Suspicious

[*] posted on 22-3-2008 at 21:41
Solid Phase Reaction Vessel?

I ordered a couple of these off Ebay because they were cheap and I got a little extra money. However, I have no clue what they are used for. Could someone elaborate on their usage, por favor?

They look like a very small addition funnel with a fritted glass plate at the bottom above the stopcock. They have a red screw cap on the top.

Okay, here's a picture:

solidphaserxnvessel.jpg - 25kB

"There must be no barriers to freedom of inquiry ... There is no place for dogma in science. The scientist is free, and must be free to ask any question, to doubt any assertion, to seek for any evidence, to correct any errors. ... We know that the only way to avoid error is to detect it and that the only way to detect it is to be free to inquire. And we know that as long as men are free to ask what they must, free to say what they think, free to think what they will, freedom can never be lost, and science can never regress." -J. Robert Oppenheimer
ziqquratu
Hazard to Others

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 23-3-2008 at 19:50

Looks to me like a setup for solid phase peptide synthesis. You put your resin in the top, add solvents and reagents (ie. amino acids and activating agents) then let them react. Once that's done, you apply suction through the bottom to drain off solvent, byproducts and excess reagents, wash the resin (which of course stays behind, now with your amino acid attached), drain again and then add your next round of reagents. Repeat until your peptide is made!

I think the more common (because it's cheaper) apparatus is a simple plastic syringe barrel with a small plug of porous teflon or polyethylene in place of the frit. You can drain using the plunger, or you can make attach it to some sort of manifold with a syringe-style fitting and apply vacuum that way.
chemrox
International Hazard

Mood: LaGrangian

[*] posted on 23-3-2008 at 22:36

I prefer the syringe idea..no need to apply vacuum to get the product..but I know what you mean about buying weird shit off ebay because it's offered cheap and on one bids it. Now I have a whole box of weird shit to get rid of on ebay. Anyb ody using 29/42 should get in touch I have a few useful items.

"When you let the dumbasses vote you end up with populism followed by autocracy and getting back is a bitch." Plato (sort of)
smuv
National Hazard

Mood: Jingoistic

[*] posted on 24-3-2008 at 12:12

kind of reminds me of a really short chromatography column, maybe useful as such, although it is very short.
biochemist
Harmless

[*] posted on 24-3-2008 at 23:43

Yes they are solid phase rxn vessels. Caps are unstable to trifluoroacetic acid though and thus can present problems if using one for BOC synthesis. I have seen people melt the plastic caps into their reaction mixture hehe...
bfesser
Resident Wikipedian

[*] posted on 25-3-2008 at 18:49

<em>You</em> bought those and didn't even know what they're used for!? I was going to buy those . . . gosh darn it. :P
MagicJigPipe
International Hazard

Mood: Suspicious

[*] posted on 25-3-2008 at 19:19

Don't worry, I'm sure you were the guy "sniping" the other bids. Damnit that is so annoying ;)

[Edited on 25-3-2008 by MagicJigPipe]

"There must be no barriers to freedom of inquiry ... There is no place for dogma in science. The scientist is free, and must be free to ask any question, to doubt any assertion, to seek for any evidence, to correct any errors. ... We know that the only way to avoid error is to detect it and that the only way to detect it is to be free to inquire. And we know that as long as men are free to ask what they must, free to say what they think, free to think what they will, freedom can never be lost, and science can never regress." -J. Robert Oppenheimer
markgollum
Hazard to Self

[*] posted on 25-3-2008 at 20:11

Guess what, I was also thinking about buying one of them!! :o
And no, I don't know what they are used for either!! :P

what a bunch of fellows we are, eh.;)

Go To Top