Sciencemadness Discussion Board
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Ap how much is to much?
lucky123
Harmless

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 30-3-2008 at 19:33
Ap how much is to much?

What would be the biggest batch that anyone should every attempt for making ap? To much can cause detonation from the weight of the crystals (so many say). Can this happen when wet or is it mostly when dry it's a hazard? I have heard of people making a pop can full of ap crystals and that seems like too much! So what is the biggest batch that anyone would recommend trying to make or has made here? Also if mixing to make apan or ap putty how would you do this saftley since ap is friction sensitive mixing with an griding motion or friction sounds dangerous. So how would one proceed to do this?
Sickman
Hazard to Self

Mood: Icy and I see!

[*] posted on 30-3-2008 at 21:54

Quote:
Originally posted by lucky123
What would be the biggest batch that anyone should every attempt for making ap? To much can cause detonation from the weight of the crystals (so many say). Can this happen when wet or is it mostly when dry it's a hazard? I have heard of people making a pop can full of ap crystals and that seems like too much! So what is the biggest batch that anyone would recommend trying to make or has made here? Also if mixing to make apan or ap putty how would you do this saftley since ap is friction sensitive mixing with an griding motion or friction sounds dangerous. So how would one proceed to do this?

Lucky123,

I'd say your "lucky" that you asked this question before answering it yourself from personal experiance.

I don't like oganic peroxides period. Besides the fact that they lack any real merit compared to lead azide ect. They seem by many accounts, unpredictable. There are endless news clippings of persons being killed and maimed by attempting to manufacture and handle acetone peroxide.

Maybe before you make AP you should read through it's history. Find out when it was discovered and to the best of your ability try and find out the number of people killed and maimed while manufacturing and handling it. Then try to imagine someone taking all the dead bodies and missing parts of bodies of all those injured or killed while making and handling AP and throwing said bodies and parts into one great big heap and then imagine yourself with a measuring tape trying to determine how high the pile of bodies and parts stands. "Hmmmmmm" you say, as you look down at your tape and realize that meters high would probably be a more appropriate measurement than "feet" (pun intended).:D

Hopefully, before you make any AP you'll ask yourself: do I like the pile at it's current hieght or am I willing to make it a little higher?:D

[Edited on 30-3-2008 by Sickman]

[Edited on 31-3-2008 by Sickman]
woelen
Super Administrator

Mood: interested

[*] posted on 30-3-2008 at 23:54

Make it once in small amounts, and then never make it again.

Make just 100 mg (based on a few drops of acetone, not more!!), destroy it after you have done your deed, and go on to more interesting chemistry.

You can do this as follows: If you have made your 100 mg, then pour out the liquid with the crystals on a piece of tissue paper, let it dry (outside in a warm sunny place) and then ignite the paper. It should give some cracks when the fire reaches the crystals and then you have had your fun.

[Edited on 31-3-08 by woelen]

The art of wondering makes life worth living...
Want to wonder? Look at https://woelen.homescience.net
ScienceGeek
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 31-3-2008 at 03:13

Quote:
Originally posted by Sickman

"Hmmmmmm" you say, as you look down at your tape and realize that meters high would probably be a more appropriate measurement than "feet" (pun intended).:D

THAT is funny!! :D

But seriously Lucky....don't make it! What I do when "contemplating" my next potentially dangerous experiment, I weigh pro's and con's, and either how you weigh making Acetone Peroxide, the con's will weigh the most!

View user's profile Visit user's homepage View All Posts By User This user has MSN Messenger
The_Davster
A pnictogen

Mood: .

[*] posted on 31-3-2008 at 04:59

Always with any explosive consider the worst possible scenario:
milligrams bloody fingers
grams remove fingers
dozens of grams remove hands

What do you want to risk?

lucky123
Harmless

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 31-3-2008 at 05:35

Well if peroxides are way to dangerous how about picrates as a primary? However I think they sound very sensitive as well. Silver acetalyde is talked about and looks promising as a primary... What would be your best bet for a primary?
There is just to much online about acetone peroxide that I and many would believe it to be something that can be handled somewhat safely. I guess the ones that made it and had a mishap weren't always able to tell thier story. Finally Ive heard lately talk of etn and a possible cap with etn and flash powder or matches pressed on top to make a cap... Etn sounds interesting and is talked about as being relatively stable similiar to petn. However, nitrosugars are in some books like fmx talked about being something to avoid since they may spontanously detonate isn't etn similiar to a nitrosugar type coumpound? Maybey sticking to black powder, chlorate sugar mixtures, and gun cotton would be a good idea since they seem relatively stable and easy to make. Nito is another one that people say is a just a bad idea but many sources say isn't too dangerous if made in small batches and pecautions taken like having water to dump runnaway reaction into and monitoring you temps.
Flash powder seems like something dangerous as well especially the ones containing sulfur another mixture told to avoid in books! Finally some books I've seen say flash powder are so static sensitve that one author recommended wearining a wire on the hand that was grounded while handeling It sounded like overkill but I guess better safer than sorry. Anyone eles have thoughts on some of these coumpounds or perhaps others?

Go To Top