Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Parr Hydrogenator 3911EA
Sauron
International Hazard

Mood: metastable

[*] posted on 31-3-2008 at 01:44
Parr Hydrogenator 3911EA

I mentioned in another thread that a couple Parr 3911 shaker hydrogenators were for sale cheap in USA. Someone PMd me and asked for technical info, so here it is

[Edited on 31-3-2008 by Sauron]

Attachment: 271m.pdf (1.7MB)
This file has been downloaded 1219 times

Sic gorgeamus a los subjectatus nunc.
Sauron
International Hazard

[*] posted on 31-3-2008 at 02:04

Main brochure

3900MB.pdf

too large for forum hosting so I put it on 4shared

http://www.4shared.com/dir/2245331/5a78115f/sharing.html

Attachment below is 311M.pdf manual supplement for 4833 controller

Attachment: 311M.pdf (228kB)
This file has been downloaded 1047 times

Sauron
International Hazard

[*] posted on 31-3-2008 at 08:14

The one remaining 3911.

69097.jpg - 40kB

Fleaker
International Hazard

Mood: nucleophilic

[*] posted on 31-3-2008 at 13:50

Ah, that's like a more damaged version of the one I have!! It works great by the way, I highly recommend those. I suppose this one heats and shakes like my own?

Sauron, my friend just got a very nice Parr bomb that's good to 129 atm. off of ebay. Very nice unit, only 100 mL but still an excellent find. He/I may be contacting you on modus operandi for that--we have some high pressure reactions in mind.

Sauron's right: it's only good to 1900psi or 129 atm.

[Edited on 1-4-2008 by Fleaker]

Neither flask nor beaker.

"Kid, you don't even know just what you don't know. "
--The Dark Lord Sauron
Sauron
International Hazard

[*] posted on 31-3-2008 at 18:32

All 3911s shake. In order to heat you need a mantle, and a mantle controller, and a thermocouple that fits down the gas inlet tube, and associated little swagelok fittings.

Likewise for cooling you need a Parr cooling jacket.

Ace sells 500 ml Parr rxn bottles for $70. They are good for 60 psi officially, more if you have the nerve.

Lots of used Parr bombs on eBay and LabX. Difficult to say whether they are serviceable. Parr rxn bombs are usually rated at 1900 psi, which is not 200 atmospheres. A nominally 100 ml bomb has a working capacity of 60 ml. That's not much. Maybe a gram or two of something can be reduced in 60 ml solvent. My Parr is 1 L and I wish it were 2 L.

You need one of the microreactor or minireactor stands, stirrer, motor, and controller, and mantle to complete that bomb into usable form.

If the thing was ever used with sulfur compounds, it will poison any hydrogenation catalyst you put in. No way I know of to clean one in that case. Only way to tell is to try.

You will also need pressure gauge of appropriate range; relief valve; and various plumbing in and out.

Test the integrity of the vessel by loading it with water and cranking up the mantle till pressure is close to rated value. Let it sit there. See if it leaks. Use a safety shield. Steam explosions are no fun, but better than if the thing were full of something worse.

You may want to replace the bolts etc that hold the clamp on (which keeps the lid on.) Those are what will fail if anything fails. Buy from Parr, no one else.

chemrox
International Hazard

Mood: LaGrangian

[*] posted on 25-4-2008 at 23:18

I got the machine today after first receiving the controller. It's all there now including a 500 ml heating mantle. A little Simple Green and some mixed solvents and it looks nice too. I am excited! Always wanted one of these. Thanks Sauron!

"When you let the dumbasses vote you end up with populism followed by autocracy and getting back is a bitch." Plato (sort of)
Sauron
International Hazard

[*] posted on 26-4-2008 at 20:21

The model chemrox got is the 3911EGX with explosion proof motor and explosion proof switch. Along with 4843 Controller to run the heating mantle (PID t/c control) and the requisite plumbing. Frankly I think the office lady misspriced the thing as I paid more than the price from same folks for the controller alone a year or so ago. A steal at $325 is what chemrox got, basically the whole kit & kaboodle. But if I had needed two of these I would have taken it myself.

Happy hydrogenations!

Fleaker
International Hazard

Mood: nucleophilic

[*] posted on 26-4-2008 at 20:44

$325 is a steal!!! These are very useful pieces of quality equipment. Let me know if you need catalyst for it Chemrox!

Neither flask nor beaker.

"Kid, you don't even know just what you don't know. "
--The Dark Lord Sauron
chemrox
International Hazard

Mood: LaGrangian

[*] posted on 26-4-2008 at 23:18

Thanks again to Sauron for the tip and for posting the manuals! Fleaker- I will take you up on that offer and pm my address to you. The picture doesn't show it but they also included a very nice gas regulator for the external supply tanks.

"When you let the dumbasses vote you end up with populism followed by autocracy and getting back is a bitch." Plato (sort of)
shadow
Hazard to Self

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 5-5-2008 at 03:12

I suspect that hydrogenations in the 2000 psi range are beyond the hobbyists means.

[Edited on 5-5-2008 by shadow]
Sauron
International Hazard

[*] posted on 5-5-2008 at 06:01

You'd be quite wrong.

I'm a hobbyist and I own a Parr stirred one liter steel pressure reactor, with thermocouple, heating mantle and controller, and it is rated at 1900 psig @325 C. I have described it and posted photos of it on this forum previously.

http://www.sciencemadness.org/talk/viewthread.php?tid=8644&a...

I paid about $2000 for it, including the controller. The controller runs the heating, stirring speed, and monitors the pressure. The vessel is stainless steel. It is a Parr 4521 with 4843 controller.

While this equipment is absurdly expensive new, it turns up on the used market with some regularity.

The working volume of my setup is 650 ml. The gauge atop this one is 600 psi but these are interchangeable up to the full rating of the vessel.

My point is not to brag about my toys but to point out that hobbyists and their resources are not created equal. For me this was a minor acquisition. I do recognize that it might well be a daunting sum to others but not to all.

So do not be so quick to generalize.

[Edited on 5-5-2008 by Sauron]

shadow
Hazard to Self

[*] posted on 5-5-2008 at 16:16

Thank you for responding, Dr. Sauron. I'll start shopping for one straight away.
I was also thinking of using another catylist besides the Rainey nickel recommend, as it required the high pressures, even though it supposedly took less time, if I don't find a high pressure unit.
But I'm ignorant of these things and will continue to study the process.
Sauron
International Hazard

[*] posted on 5-5-2008 at 17:00

When was I elevated to doctoral status?

Or am I a doctor in the tradition or Hunter S.Thompson, Johnny Fever of Vikto Frankenstein?
Or Dr Einstein in "Arsenic and Old Lace"?

[Edited on 6-5-2008 by Sauron]

shadow
Hazard to Self

[*] posted on 5-5-2008 at 19:02

Just showing a little respect for your knowledge and toy collection.

Go To Top