Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2  
Author: Subject: Strange uses for energetic materials
ScienceGeek
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 7-4-2008 at 10:52

I know this doesn't fall under "Strange uses for energetic materials", but I'll say it anyway.

What I think is quite extreme, is that they coated the Hinderburg (German Zeppelin) with Thermite paint!
Yeah, that's right: they actually made a paint (coating) of fine aluminum powder and Iron Oxide.

I just find it extremely odd that no- one seemed to consider it a potential fire- hazard, especially as Thermite was patented in 1895 (Wikipedia), and the Hindenburg incident was in 1937.

Mythbusters declared the myth that the Thermite coating contributed to the burn- rate: BUSTED, but still...

View user's profile Visit user's homepage View All Posts By User This user has MSN Messenger
Pulverulescent
National Hazard

Mood: Torn between two monikers ─ "hissingnoise" and the present incarnation!

[*] posted on 7-4-2008 at 13:11

Quote:
Originally posted by ScienceGeek
What I think is quite extreme, is that they coated the Hinderburg (German Zeppelin) with Thermite paint!

SG, We may be talking about separate incidents; in case we're not, we'll agree to disagree.

Either substance on an airship lofted by H2 is obviously a disaster in the making!

And people still put aluminium paint onto rusted steel, even in places where there's a fire-danger!

In those old days, though, the ignitibility of these substances wasn't generally well known.

P
microcosmicus
Hazard to Others

Mood: spin up

[*] posted on 7-4-2008 at 14:13

Quote:

In those old days, though, the ignitibility of these substances wasn't generally well known.

In that time and place (1930's Germany), the flammability of thermite was quite well
known since it was commonly used in welding. More likely, what happened was that
it never occurred to the paint mixer that the composition of his pigment happened to
be a thermite mixture.

I once saw a documentary where someone went through the old records of the
Zeppelin airship company and found documents from the internal investigation
following the accident where it was noted that the pain was flammable but
suppressed this information so as not to jeopardize the chances of collecting
insurance. (Not to mention what an irate Fuehrer might have done to the doofuses
who embarassed the fatherland in the eyes of the world by painting an airship
with thermite.)
Pulverulescent
National Hazard

[*] posted on 8-4-2008 at 07:42

Quote:
Originally posted by microcosmicus
Quote:

In that time and place (1930's Germany), the flammability of thermite was quite well
known since it was commonly used in welding.

OK, well known, but not generally well known!

Don't forget, thermite is ignited only with difficulty; just putting a match to it won't start the reaction.

And flammable doesn't describe thermite since it contains nothing that normally burns in atmospheric oxygen, and it contains no carbon compounds.

It's ignitible and deflagrating, but you can't call the mixture flammable.

P
Pulverulescent
National Hazard

[*] posted on 8-4-2008 at 09:42

Quote:
Yeah, that's right: they actually made a paint (coating) of fine aluminum powder and Iron Oxide.
I just find it extremely odd that no- one seemed to consider it a potential fire- hazard.

'Kinda hard, anyway, to see how thermite would reach its ignition temp of ~1550*C (m.p. of iron) on an airship, by anything short of a direct lightning strike!

I don't buy it!

P
ScienceGeek
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 8-4-2008 at 09:58

What is it that you don't buy? It is a fact that they coated the Hindenburg with thermite paint!

I'm not saying that the Thermite paint caused the fire, merely that it's a strange composition to use as paint...

View user's profile Visit user's homepage View All Posts By User This user has MSN Messenger
Formatik
National Hazard

Mood: equilibrium

[*] posted on 8-4-2008 at 10:09

Nitroglycerin as a therapeutic (it dilates the veins and arteries)!:

http://www.kmhk.kmu.edu.tw/medhome/Intra_med/med_o/search/im...
Pulverulescent
National Hazard

[*] posted on 8-4-2008 at 12:08

Quote:
I just find it extremely odd that no- one seemed to consider it a potential fire- hazard, especially as Thermite was patented in 1895.

Calling it a fire-hazard would suggest you considered it as a possible culprit, as indeed I did, but of course, H2 ignites at a third of the temp thermite does.

Paint with Al and Fe203 is still manufactured, BTW!

Al paint on steel is very dangerous, because a sharp blow of steel on Al-painted steel produces a very bright, hot spark, and fires have been triggered in this way.

P
ScienceGeek
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 8-4-2008 at 12:39

No, I don't consider it a possible culprit, but I do think it contributed to a certain extent to the fire, once started.

Do they paint modern Zeppelins with Al/Fe2O3 paint?

I don't get your statement on Aluminum on steel...how is that relevant?

I think we're just splitting straws here :P

Pulverulescent
National Hazard

[*] posted on 8-4-2008 at 13:52

Yes SG, you're right, we are splitting hairs, but the reason, I think, the paint wasn't considered a fire-hazard is because it couldn't have been a fire-hazard, when you think about it.

The hydrogen in the airship would have burned quite quickly.
The paint couldn't possibly have contributed anything, IMO.

I mentioned the Al being painted on steel simply because most people see nothing wrong with it, despite the (obvious) dangers.

(Lead-based paint might be more appropriate in the case of Zeppelins).

P
ScienceGeek
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 8-4-2008 at 14:49

OK Pulverulescent...let's leave it at that. Splitting hairs is a waste of time ;)

National Hazard

Mood: HSbF6

[*] posted on 8-4-2008 at 16:06

Hydrazine sulfate, pretty close to hydrazine that's used in things like Astrolite and rocket fuel, has been used as an effective cancer treatment. Funny, all that time I though hydrazine was toxic! :P

http://www.hydrazinesulfate.org/

[Edited on 8-4-2008 by 497]
Pulverulescent
National Hazard

[*] posted on 9-4-2008 at 02:33

Just one more hair/straw, perhaps!
The point (and it may be a minor one) I was trying to make, ScienceGeek, was that the assumption that thermite paint is hazardous in all situations doesn't seem to bear scrutiny.

You say potaato, I say potayto!

P
Pulverulescent
National Hazard

[*] posted on 9-4-2008 at 02:45

So anyway, these interesting materials kill--- *and* cure.
Kinda' schizoid!

P
grndpndr
National Hazard

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 19-5-2008 at 04:14

Quote:
Originally posted by crazyboy
Explosives are sometimes placed on top of a large metal plate which is placed on another metal plate when the explosive detonates the pressure and force weld the flat parts together; an effect impossible with conventional methods.

http://www.metalwebnews.com/howto/explosive-welding/explosiv...

Wondering if this isn't the method used to 'weld'/bond dissimilar metals such as depleted Uranium/armor steel/other"secret'
materials into sheets of chobham or composite armor as youll notice composite armor is always angular in shape never does it have a curved surface.The process must include other methods however as i understand chobham armor also contains ceramics to deal with HEAT charges and while reactive armor will only defeat 1HEAT round per panel, COMPOSITE armor will defeat multiple hits in the same area from ATGMs w/HEAT warheads even the dual warhead HEAT round.Fascnatingly imple process the example of it saw, the metal to be bonded/welded was placed on top f each other on a flat surfce a form was built like a concrete form for a sidewalk several inches above the metal plates the excess powdered HE was screeded off similar to a concrete form and an edge of the square was detonated resulting in a slightly curved plate. OFF topic but ww2 germn experiments tried to laminate dissimilar metals for the same purpose super armored plate,less wieght more protection just as todays composite armor posseses
Ramiel
Vicious like a ferret

Mood: Semi-demented

[*] posted on 21-5-2008 at 04:12

Originally posted by : grndpndr

rective armor

That qualifies as an unlikely use for explosive as protection against other explosve effects specifically the monroe effect of RPGs /ATGMs with whats commonly referred to as reactive armor .In that the Armor made up of sections of thin steel armor sandwiched with insensitive HE in the middle and attached to the vehicle armor thats to be upgraded in small sections.When struck by std HEAT charge the plate is penetrated detonating the HE .with the now accelerating Reactive armor plate disrupting the HEAT jet.The now common way around this is dual heat warheads the first smaller warhead detonating the reactive armor and the second HEAT charge detonating a split second later mitigating any effect on the second charge in the warhead.

even a small heat charge in my torso?!:(

Caveat Orator
Pulverulescent
National Hazard

[*] posted on 21-5-2008 at 08:02

Somehow, I don't think using one explosive device to defeat another comes into the category "Strange Uses".

P
grndpndr
National Hazard

[*] posted on 21-5-2008 at 12:44

No use in arguing perceptions. I would say ingenious never the less and not something that jumps to mind given the fact it took some 60 years to devise.The simple fact it took that long for the finest armaments labs to find this apparently simple solution is enough a least for me to call it a strange/definetly unique, use for an explosive.
Pulverulescent
National Hazard

[*] posted on 21-5-2008 at 12:55

Unique, yes, ingenious, certainly---wily old Ruskies!

P
Liedenfrost
Harmless

Mood: Spiffy

[*] posted on 30-5-2008 at 10:35
Argon Flash

I'm actually trying to find more data on ''argon flash'' at the moment but basically a vessel filled with argon gas and a small amount of a solid explosive produces such a bright flash in the UV spectrum and as well as visible on detonation that it is used to photograph explosive events.

wikipedia has a bit of info on it:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Argon_flash

This is my first post.
-=HeX=-
Hazard to Others

Mood: Precipitating

[*] posted on 30-5-2008 at 11:30

Quote:
Originally posted by Liedenfrost
I'm actually trying to find more data on ''argon flash'' at the moment but basically a vessel filled with argon gas and a small amount of a solid explosive produces such a bright flash in the UV spectrum and as well as visible on detonation that it is used to photograph explosive events.

wikipedia has a bit of info on it:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Argon_flash

This is my first post.

Liedenfrost: I have quite a lot of info about such devices, my email is lordi--101@hotmail.com and i am working on an xenon based variant at the moment.

If you give a man a match he will be warm for a moment. Set him alight and he will be warm for the rest of his life.
grndpndr
National Hazard

[*] posted on 30-5-2008 at 16:22

Does ths method produce a single frame at the momet of detonation or are several frames able to be made with the proper camera?
-=HeX=-
Hazard to Others

Mood: Precipitating

[*] posted on 31-5-2008 at 08:09

I am not sure about the photography bit, I am developing my system as a non lethal blinding weapon with wide effects. Think of a giant flashbang grenade :p and you will get it. I imagine it would be very effective against aircraft to blind the pilot. An improvised variant involves a ball of cast ETN with loads of the flash tubes from disposable cameras embedded into it as xenon works better than argon.

If you give a man a match he will be warm for a moment. Set him alight and he will be warm for the rest of his life.
hashashan
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 1-6-2008 at 00:13

How about MEKP as polystyrene resin hardener... now is that weired or what?
12AX7
Post Harlot

Mood: informative

[*] posted on 1-6-2008 at 04:55

Perhaps, but only as weird as benzoyl peroxide and etc.

Considering the safer alternatives, it does seem kind of odd though. Is it that it must be reactive enough?

Tim

Seven Transistor Labs LLC http://seventransistorlabs.com/
Electronic Design, from Concept to Layout.
Need engineering assistance? Drop me a message!
 Pages:  1  2  

Go To Top