Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: C6H8O6 + H2SO4
bob000555
Harmless

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 11-4-2008 at 17:05
C6H8O6 + H2SO4

If one were to put Ascorbic acid in the bottom of a beaker and pour sulfuric acid over it what would be the product? That is the sulfuric acid would certainly draw H2O out of the acid as it would sugar but what would be the resulting compound left over from the ascorbic?
Sauron
International Hazard

Mood: metastable

[*] posted on 11-4-2008 at 17:18

You do not supply enough information.

What concentration of H2SO4? Let's assume ordinary conc H2SO4 at 20-25 C since you did not specify.

Being a sugar acid, ascorbic acid ought to dehydrate like sucrose does, to C and H2O, except for the carboxyl group that will go to CO or CO2.

[Edited on 12-4-2008 by Sauron]

Sic gorgeamus a los subjectatus nunc.
ScienceGeek
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 12-4-2008 at 03:49

Is sulfuric acid really oxidising at those concentrations? At 96%, it is itself reduced to some extent to Sulfur Dioxide, and oxidises Carbon to Carbon Dioxide (Carbon Monoxide).

View user's profile Visit user's homepage View All Posts By User This user has MSN Messenger
Sauron
International Hazard

Mood: metastable

[*] posted on 12-4-2008 at 03:57

Conc H2S)4 is dehydrating carbohydrates not oxidizing them. For oxidation you need oleum. That is overkill for carbohydrates.

An oleum (fuming H2SO4, w/free SO3 content) spill on wood can heat it up enough to start a fire.

What do you think it does to flesh? We are mostly water.

Sic gorgeamus a los subjectatus nunc.
ScienceGeek
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 12-4-2008 at 05:47

With concentrated Sulfuric acid as well there is some oxidation/reduction, evident by the smell of SO2.

View user's profile Visit user's homepage View All Posts By User This user has MSN Messenger
MagicJigPipe
International Hazard

Mood: Suspicious

[*] posted on 17-4-2008 at 11:12

I've noticed that as well with 98% H2SO4. It oxidizes carbon slightly when heated. I'm pretty sure that's what is happening because I too can smell the SO2 (and I didn't smell any before the reaction).

I find that property extremely interesting.

"There must be no barriers to freedom of inquiry ... There is no place for dogma in science. The scientist is free, and must be free to ask any question, to doubt any assertion, to seek for any evidence, to correct any errors. ... We know that the only way to avoid error is to detect it and that the only way to detect it is to be free to inquire. And we know that as long as men are free to ask what they must, free to say what they think, free to think what they will, freedom can never be lost, and science can never regress." -J. Robert Oppenheimer

Go To Top