Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Cyanide synthesis by thermal decomposition of Thiocyanate
walruslover69
Hazard to Others

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 10-11-2018 at 06:29
Cyanide synthesis by thermal decomposition of Thiocyanate

I recently came across the knowledge that sodium thiocyanate and potassium thiocyanate decompose at 307C and 500C respectively. I could not find a reliable source but I do not see any other logical decomposition product besides elemental sulfur and the metal cyanide.

NaSCN ---> S + NaCN

I have previous synthesized sodium cyanide by the reduction of cyanuric acid with carbon and hydroxide but it is a pain to preform for a product that is challenging to purify in large quantities.

If it is possibly to simply decompose sodium thiocyanate at 307C to sodium cyanide with limited byproducts that would be a much easier method for the amateur chemist. Since Sodium thiocyanide is extremely cheap.

I am planning on purchasing some to experiment with, but does anyone have any reason why this method would not work? I was not able to find very much on the top at all.
Boffis
International Hazard

[*] posted on 10-11-2018 at 22:33

On a preparative scale you will need to add something to take up the sulphur otherwise they simply recombine on cooling. Iron fillings are the generally preferred material for this. The procedure is described in the book on Cyanogen compounds that as been posted before and may even be in the SM library.
clearly_not_atara
International Hazard

Mood: Big

[*] posted on 10-11-2018 at 22:49

It says here that solid carbon nitrides are produced:

https://www.researchgate.net/profile/Alexander_Semencha2/pub...

Given that the other products are CS2 and Na2S, the presumptive reaction looks like:

4 NaSCN >> C3N4 + Na2S + Na2CS3 (trithiocarbonate)

[Edited on 04-20-1969 by clearly_not_atara]
walruslover69
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 11-11-2018 at 04:58

Boffis- I assume the sulfur would boil/distill off at that temperature.

That is very interesting that you actually get carbon nitride nanoparticles.

after doing some more research I believe there might be a way to generate HCN by the action of concentrated sulfuric acid on sodium thiocyanate to generate the unstable thiocyanic acid.

https://sci-hub.se/https://pubs.acs.org/doi/abs/10.1021/ja01...

3HCNS ===> HCN + H2C2N2S3

The HCN could then be Bubbled through a NaOH solution. This could be promising as I do not know of another method for generating cyanides without temperatures greater than 200-300C

[Edited on 11-11-2018 by walruslover69]
S.C. Wack
bibliomaster

Mood: Enhanced

[*] posted on 11-11-2018 at 08:37

> I do not know of another method for generating cyanides without temperatures greater than 200-300C

It's not clear if you are only focused on SCN-, because there's ferrocyanide and sulfuric acid...it is said that Erlenmeyer said (haven't looked it up) something about quantitative reaction of aq. KSCN with permanganate/sulfuric acid (it's a nice balanced reaction to KCN, water, and sulfates, theoretically), but I'm unsure of the ease of quantitative recovery of KCN or HCN there.

"You're going to be all right, kid...Everything's under control." Yossarian, to Snowden
fusso
International Hazard

[*] posted on 11-11-2018 at 08:41

Quote: Originally posted by S.C. Wack  
It's not clear if you are only focused on SCN-, because there's ferrocyanide and sulfuric acid...it is said that Erlenmeyer said (haven't looked it up) something about quantitative reaction of aq. KSCN with permanganate/sulfuric acid (it's a nice balanced reaction to KCN, water, and sulfates, theoretically), but I'm unsure of the ease of quantitative recovery of KCN or HCN there.
How could SCN- be reduced to CN- in an oxidizing solution?

S.C. Wack
bibliomaster

Mood: Enhanced

[*] posted on 11-11-2018 at 09:06

I would think that there is a way of doing things that makes chemistry an art; perhaps the exact theoretical quantity of dilute permanganate is added dropwise to cold stirred KSCN in the needed or excess quantity of sulfuric acid.

"You're going to be all right, kid...Everything's under control." Yossarian, to Snowden
Tsjerk
International Hazard

Mood: Mood

[*] posted on 11-11-2018 at 09:32

Ferrocyanide and sulfuric gives a quantitative yield of cyanide, the drawback is that it goes through HCN as intermediate.
walruslover69
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 11-11-2018 at 09:49

I wasn't familiar with the ferrocyanide and sulfuric acid process, but it looks very promising, the key seems to be the use of dilute sulfuric acid

[Edited on 11-11-2018 by walruslover69]
Boffis
International Hazard

[*] posted on 11-11-2018 at 22:54

In the characterization of organic and inorganic compounds fused KSCN (I suspect NaSCN works too but not the ammonium salt) acts as a "nascent" sulphur donor. At just above the melting point of the K salt the will liberate H2S from the inert OH in minerals for instance. So the S in KSCN is reactive but not readily disengaged but simply heating, as several posters have already alluded to. So you need something to strip away the sulphur before you end up with all the other side products. This process is described in the literature but it appears that neither of the books is in the SM Library but as they are way out of copyright I can post them if you wish.

By the way I would always stick to the "hot melt" type cyanide processes rather than the "gas" type, they are much safer and more reliable.
walruslover69
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 13-11-2018 at 08:23

Thanks for the suggestion, I bout about a pound of thiocyanate last night and am planning on trying out a few methods. I like you your idea for the single displacement reaction to form a sulphide. I crunched some of the thermo numbers and the reduction of thiocyanates with metals isnt as favored as I thought it would be. Here are the values for some common metals

Zn+KSCN---> KCN+ZnS ∆G=-120.1 Kj/mol

Pb+KSCN---> KCN Pb ∆G= -18.5 Kj/mol

Fe+KSCN---> KCN + FeS ∆G= -22.3 Kj/mol

This was using values with sold KSCN, I assume the values would be only slightly less favorable with molten KSCN due to the entropy penalty, but I don't think there would be a huge difference, maybe 20 kj/mol or just enough to make the lead and Iron unfavorable.

I originally thought about using aluminum, but aluminum sulphide reacts with water or moist air to form hydrogen sulphide. I would preferably like to avoid generating large amounts of H2S as I extract my cyanide.

It seems like this could be a very clean reactions with the products being easly seperable and minimal side products generated.

[Edited on 13-11-2018 by walruslover69]
fusso
International Hazard

[*] posted on 13-11-2018 at 11:38

@Walrus what about using C? CS2 has a low bp @46.24C. If that's feasible then one can make 2 useful chemicals in 1 rxn.

walruslover69
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 13-11-2018 at 12:09

It looks like it doesn't become favorable until about 600C. at which point the KSCN would have already decomposed. That kind of surprised me. I originally wanted to stay away from the carbon reduction because when I previously reduced sodium cyanate to cyanide with carbon, filtering out all of the small carbon particles proved to be alittle harder than i expected with just coffee filters, but that isn't a huge problem if it worked well.

I agree that it would be great if i could make both at the same time. CS2 has been on my list for awhile.
clearly_not_atara
International Hazard

[*] posted on 13-11-2018 at 14:29

Quote:
I do not know of another method for generating cyanides without temperatures greater than 200-300C

Alkaline decomposition of formaldoxime. No HCN, no high temperature/pressure.

https://www.sciencemadness.org/whisper/viewthread.php?tid=23...

[Edited on 13-11-2018 by clearly_not_atara]

fusso
International Hazard

[*] posted on 13-11-2018 at 16:08

Quote: Originally posted by clearly_not_atara  

Is there a mechanism for this rxn? I can't find it elsewhere.

clearly_not_atara
International Hazard

[*] posted on 13-11-2018 at 16:28

Quote: Originally posted by fusso  

Is there a mechanism for this rxn? I can't find it elsewhere.

Consider e.g.

https://link.springer.com/article/10.1007%2FBF01106685?LI=tr...
https://pubs.acs.org/doi/abs/10.1021/ja01557a033?journalCode...
https://cloudfront.escholarship.org/dist/prd/content/qt3dz9b...

Oximes dehydrate into nitriles in strong alkali, but the nitriles themselves are hydrolysed rapidly except for CN-. I don't know the mechanism but I'd guess that deprotonation at a carbon atom lets you arrow-push to lose a hydroxide anion.

Tsjerk
International Hazard

Mood: Mood

[*] posted on 14-11-2018 at 09:07

Quote:
I do not know of another method for generating cyanides without temperatures greater than 200-300C

Very nice find! In the article they isolate the pure formaldoxime, but as far as I see it should be doable by just reacting free hydroxylamine and formaldehyde in water and adding alkali hydroxide right? Or hydroxylamine hydrochloride with alkali base and formaldehyde to obtain an equimolar mix of cyanide and chloride.
clearly_not_atara
International Hazard

[*] posted on 15-11-2018 at 12:36

The oxime formation kinetics should probably be considered, but I see no reason why in principle the formation and dehydration could not be performed in situ. The reaction of alkali and unreacted formaldehyde will likely be of the Cannizzarro variety, so ensuring the formaldehyde is consumed before adding NaOH seems prudent.

Isolating formaldoxime may be somewhat easier than isolating cyanide, though. Most cyanide salts are either highly soluble or highly insoluble, the former being difficult to separate from formed NaCl and the latter not being useful as a source of CN- (except Zn(CN)2 in the Gatterman-Koch reaction). Ba(CN)2 can be precipitated at low temperature and relatively pure sodium cyanide is then obtained by metathesis with Na2CO3 (cyanides usually contain carbonate impurities anyway).

[Edited on 15-11-2018 by clearly_not_atara]

Boffis
International Hazard

[*] posted on 16-11-2018 at 00:18

As the thread seems to be wondering off coarse here is a excerpt from a book on the subject of the de-sulphurization of thiocyanates to cyanides. Check out the top of page 210.

Attachment: Chemistry of cyanogen & cyanide p209-210.pdf (98kB)
This file has been downloaded 328 times

Go To Top