Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Does (OCNO)- exist?
fusso
International Hazard

[*] posted on 11-11-2018 at 10:48
Does (OCNO)- exist?

Fulminates (CNO-) exist.
Also cyanates (OCN-).
So their hybrid (OCNO-) should also exist right?
Why can't I find anything useful by searching OCNO-, CNO2-, percyanate or perfulminate?

Σldritch
Hazard to Others

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 11-11-2018 at 14:46

Never heard of it, but the isomers you wrote are not peracids which could explain why you could not find anything. However it sure looks like it wants to split into two radicals or just Carbon Dioxide and Nitrogen, maybe Carbon Monoxide and hyponitrite.

This was the closest i could find:

Isoperthiocyanic Acid, C2S3(NH)2, as stated above, is formed by the action of acid of moderate strength - e.g. 40 per cent, hydrochloric acid - on ammonium thiocyanate. It can be crystallised from water in golden-yellow needles, and is reconverted by potassium cyanide into thiocyanate:

C2S3N2H2 + KCN = CNSK + 2CNSH.

That it is probably an iso-acid containing imide groups is shown by its reduction by nascent hydrogen to thiourea and carbon disulphide:

C2S3(NH)2 + 2H = CS(NH2)2 + CS2.

If your not looking for salts im am pretty sure NCSNO and maybe ONSNO exists more or less. If i had more silver and nitric acid i would love to try them.

[Edited on 11-11-2018 by Σldritch]
clearly_not_atara
International Hazard

Mood: Big

[*] posted on 12-11-2018 at 14:23

In fulminate, the N-O bond is stabilized by a negative charge on carbon. However, if the C is bonded to O, there is a positive charge on carbon, which destabilizes the triple-bonded resonance isomer. So the ion OCNO- is expected to be very unstable. It looks like it might be produced transiently by the hydrolysis of phosgene oxime. C=N double bonds are low energy, so they are only favored when some kind of resonance isomer exists (e.g. oximes, heterocycles, cyanamides).

More likely would be an ion -OOCN, "peroxycyanate", which would be analogous to hypothiocyanite, but this will eliminate O2 rapidly.

[Edited on 12-11-2018 by clearly_not_atara]

[Edited on 04-20-1969 by clearly_not_atara]
Assured Fish
Hazard to Others

Mood: Misanthropic

[*] posted on 12-11-2018 at 15:22

Wait a second.
C2S3(NH)2 + 2H = CS(NH2)2 + CS2

Is anyone thinking what im thinking.

Sufficiently advanced science is indistinguishable from madness.
AJKOER
Radically Dubious

[*] posted on 25-11-2018 at 20:19

Theoretically as cyanide is at least referred to as a pseudo halogen, so following the example of chlorine (for related chlorine radical chemistry leading to chlorate, see my links at http://www.sciencemadness.org/talk/viewthread.php?tid=74511#... ), try working with the .CNO radical:

.CNO + .CNO =?= .CN + .OCNO

as .OCNO apparently exists, but at 10 degrees K, see https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/16474873 and likely not a stable radical like chlorine dioxide.

Other also possible occurring products:

.CNO + .CNO =?= (CN)2 + O2

Use the carbonate radical anion to attempt to derive .CNO via CNO-:

.CO3- + OCN- =?= CO3(2-) + .CNO

With respect to the cyanate anion (OCN)- and comments on cyanate (OCN) and fulminate (ONC) radicals, see https://pubs.acs.org/doi/abs/10.1021/jp021525b .

[Edited on 26-11-2018 by AJKOER]
clearly_not_atara
International Hazard

Mood: Big

[*] posted on 26-11-2018 at 12:10

Quote: Originally posted by Assured Fish  
Wait a second.
C2S3(NH)2 + 2H = CS(NH2)2 + CS2

Is anyone thinking what im thinking.

A-ha! CS2 from thiourea!

[Edited on 04-20-1969 by clearly_not_atara]
unionised
International Hazard

[*] posted on 26-11-2018 at 13:18

It may be better than you think

"Isoperthiocyanic acid (I) decomposes at 184°C in two steps. The first endothermic step corresponds to a breaking of the ring with evolution of one mole of CS2 per mole"

https://www.researchgate.net/publication/256361229_Thermal_b...

However, IIRC, thiourea ia reportedly carcinogenic. It's hard to see why these interesting derivative might not share that characteristic.

[Edited on 26-11-18 by unionised]
Assured Fish
Hazard to Others

Mood: Misanthropic

[*] posted on 26-11-2018 at 21:47

If you read the details of that paper referenced by unionized, carbon disulfide is only one of the products. The product left behind appears to be some kinda free radical anion of thiourea.
At temps above 200°C this decomposes into probably multiple products, the researchers were never able to isolate or identify anything of these byproducts and there is a likely risk that they may be quite nasty.
Ive been thinking about this and we could attempt to react this byproduct with something, perhaps a strong base or acid (the researchers only mentioned trying to dissolve it with solvents), if we can hydrolyse or oxidize this byproduct to something more soluble we would stand a better chance of identifying it and evaluating a method for destroying it safely.

I think the hydrogenation method is really something we could fall back on should the thermal method be to dangerous for large scale.
The issue with this would be what hydrogenation catalyst we would use, i suspect platinum dioxide as palladium would be poisoned, nickel might work too.

Ive got both ammonium thiosulfate and sodium thiosulfate on hand as well as nitric acid. I will attempt to prepare and isolate the isoperthiocyanic acid this weekend, sadly i have no nitrogen on hand and am not sure if i really wanna be heating this stuff up to 200°C in a distillation set up under nitrogen in my current residence, this is quite dangerous chemistry.
It appear woelen also accidentally discovered isoperthiocyanid acid as well.
http://www.sciencemadness.org/talk/viewthread.php?tid=27676#...

Edit: Just found this while browsing through that thread a second time.
http://sulphur.atomistry.com/perthiocyanogen.html

[Edited on 27-11-2018 by Assured Fish]

Sufficiently advanced science is indistinguishable from madness.

Go To Top