Sciencemadness Discussion Board
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2
Author: Subject: Sulphur Monochloride, Dichloride, and Thionyl Chloride - Illustrated Practical Guide
gsd
National Hazard

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 30-5-2009 at 03:47

Graham Condenser

Here is good write-up from wiki on all types of lab condensers.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Condenser_(laboratory)#cite_ref-2

As per this Len1's description of Graham Condenser is correct.

I may add here that the "product in spiral" graham is call as the "product cooler" in industrial terminology as it is almost always used for cooling the product coming from Reflux divider to product receiver.

A recent article from JCE on "The Origin of the Liebig Condenser" which is referred in the wiki page is interesting (though it is a bit off-topic)

gsd

Attachment: The Origin of the Liebig Condenser.pdf (124kB)
This file has been downloaded 1583 times
basstabone
Harmless

[*] posted on 30-5-2009 at 17:53

I was searching around and found an alternative purification of the SOCl2. This one requires no long synthesis of quinoline or using linseed oil at all.

J. Am. Chem. Soc., 1946, 68 (7), pp 1380–1381

Now what to do with my quinoine. Any suggestions?
AndersHoveland
Hazard to Other Members, due to repeated speculation and posting of untested highly dangerous procedures!

[*] posted on 23-9-2011 at 01:58

This is probably not the best place to put this post, but I found an interesting way to make sulfuryl chloride, SO2Cl2.

A russian source stated: "SO2Cl2 obtained by chlorination of sulfur dioxide, chlorine gas in sunlight or in the presence of catalysts"

I know that the "catalyst" to which it refers to is activated carbon at elevated temperatures (220 C ?).
But the leaving SO2 and Cl2 in a glass jar in sunlight seems like a potentially easy alternative method of preparing SO2Cl2.

Remember that SO2Cl2 is actually more acidic than concentrated sulfuric acid! SO2Cl2 reacts with water. If there is not enough water, chlorosulfuric acid and/or 100% sulfuric acid will form, with the emission of anhydrous HCl gas.

SO2Cl2 + H2O --> H2SO4 + (2)HCl

[Edited on 23-9-2011 by AndersHoveland]
ScienceSquirrel
International Hazard
Thread Pruned
13-3-2012 at 05:41
Pavel_ChemGeek
Harmless

[*] posted on 12-2-2019 at 03:16

Hi, Great Write-up, Thanks for Sharing. But i think you made a mistake with the tag for showing pictures. We have to copy paste the link in the adress bar to see the pictures. If you can fix it it would be nice. for people who want to download the entire writeup.
Thanks
j_sum1
Administrator

Mood: Organised

[*] posted on 12-2-2019 at 03:39

Quote: Originally posted by Pavel_ChemGeek  
Hi, Great Write-up, Thanks for Sharing. But i think you made a mistake with the tag for showing pictures. We have to copy paste the link in the adress bar to see the pictures. If you can fix it it would be nice. for people who want to download the entire writeup.
Thanks

This thread is more than 10 years old and Len has gone on to greater things: including publishing some of his synths in an excellent book.

I will fix the image rot for you. This kind of excellent work may as well see some air again.
 Pages:  1  2

Go To Top