Sciencemadness Discussion Board
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Who's working with chiral compounds (auxiliary )
dan_teod
Harmless

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 22-4-2008 at 12:05
Who's working with chiral compounds (auxiliary )

I am interested in chiral compounds used in enantioselective catalysis. This compounds are named TADDOLS and I would like to know if there is somebody else using or synthesizing them.

When the experiment succeed, you did something wrong
Sandmeyer
National Hazard

Mood: abbastanza bene

[*] posted on 22-4-2008 at 12:19

I doubt your post is appropriate for this place, it lacks details and is not really about amateur chemistry. Besides, there is already a recent thread on chiral auxiliaries.

ziqquratu
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 22-4-2008 at 16:48

They're pretty basic - made by acetal protection of diethyl tartrate (easiest done with 2,2-dimethoxypropane and an acid catalyst) and subsequent reaction of the diester with 4 equivalents of phenylmagnesium bromide to give TADDOL. You can alter which acetal you form or the Grignard reagent you use to change the properties of the molecule.

They're fairly good ligands, never used them myself but read plenty of reviews. As far as chiral ligands go, TADDOL's and Evans' oxaolinones (made by reaction of a-amino acids with diethylcarbonate) are probably amongst the most OTC as both tartaric acid and a range of amino acids are fairly readily available in enantiomerically pure form (although you can generally only get the natural enantiomer readily, of course!)
Nicodem
Super Moderator

[*] posted on 22-4-2008 at 23:18

Essentially, as Sandmeyer said, this is a forum for amateur chemistry and hobby science. Asymmetric synthesis is pretty much on the border of a home chemist achievability and interest, and besides it is obvious your question is job related. Though many of us also have jobs in the field of chemistry research, discussing about what we do for money is not encouraged and we generally do not do that. This does not mean you are not allowed to ask questions related to your research if you are in need of a brainstorming, but it is expected that if you are a member here you are either an amateur chemist or wish to contribute knowledge to those that are.
If you have no interest in supporting amateur chemistry and your only purpose is to discuss about your job and paid research (and all your posts were of such nature), then I suggest you try one of the forums or mailing lists for professional chemists (try at Orglist or some other such place). That would also give you wider audience among your target population.

Go To Top