Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: In praise of Deschem
j_sum1
Administrator

Mood: Organised

[*] posted on 12-11-2018 at 23:01
In praise of Deschem

I just had a new liebig arrive from Deschem. The package looked like it had been run over by a fork-lift. I was not optimistic. However, the packaging did its job and the glassware was intact.
And there was even a nice little note on the inside promising to replace any breakages that occurred in transit.

2018-11-13 14.17.29.jpg - 98kB
2018-11-13 14.18.22.jpg - 96kB
2018-11-13 14.22.01.jpg - 111kB

I meant to add...
I guess I can look forward to a visit from the Police some time soon. They will have their eyes open. There was a major drug syndicate busted in my area only a month or so ago with some 80 arrests and several clan labs shut down.
My turn to show them what chemistry should look like I guess.

[Edited on 13-11-2018 by j_sum1]
Mr. Rogers
Hazard to Others

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 13-11-2018 at 05:43

I bought a $10.00 Thiele tube from him and it came packed like a mummy.

I'm not sure how he made any money on this transaction w/the free shipping.
nimgoldman
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 13-11-2018 at 11:14

Yeah I always feel like rescuing flyes from spider cocoons when unpacking the items.

The packaging system of deschem is frustrating, sometimes the more brittle items are broken since there is no additional protection between the walls and the glass.
Herr Haber
International Hazard

[*] posted on 13-11-2018 at 11:40

Quote: Originally posted by nimgoldman  
Yeah I always feel like rescuing flyes from spider cocoons when unpacking the items.

Heh ! When my first order arrived I thought they had hired Spiderman :)

It was a BIG order. It took two weeks to unpack. Around 20 big items and many smaller. Nothing was broken.
Heptylene
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 13-11-2018 at 12:33

I can vouch for Deschem too, a few pieces I bought from them had very good joints. Much better than those from Isolab for example, which is based in Germany.
arkoma
Redneck Overlord

Mood: украї́нська

[*] posted on 14-11-2018 at 11:02

I do ALL my business with Deschem/sam10086(same guys). For three-four years now. Twice I have received broken glass, and a quick photo and email and had QUICK replacement.

"We believe the knowledge and cultural heritage of mankind should be accessible to all people around the world, regardless of their wealth, social status, nationality, citizenship, etc" z-lib

Doped-Al2O3-fusion
Hazard to Self

Mood: Maniacal

[*] posted on 15-11-2018 at 09:09

I've got most of my glassware from Deschem and I've got nothing but praise for them. I've had items arrive broken three times and they've always replaced the items quickly and they've never given me trouble whatsoever. I'm going to have to make a purchase with them again in the near future as I just broke my Soxhlet extractor a few minutes ago while cleaning the damn thing. My thumb pressed down on the drain tube and snapped it at the base while scrubbing the outside of the glass.

I don't know if it's possible to glue the crack back together since the purpose of the Soxhlet is to run hot solvent, which would most likely end up dissolving the glue anyhow. At least it didn't cost a great deal of $$$. Still sucks, but Deschem is just a few mouse clicks away.

I'm more likely to die doing what I love. I'm a hobby chemist. I void warranties.
andy1988
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 3-4-2019 at 03:19

Q: I bought a condenser from Deschem and it has a star crack on the cold end just outside the taper joint, but a crack is going into the taper joint a bit. It isn't in a place where it'd be exposed to a pressure difference, do I still ask for a replacement? I feel like it's 50:50 odds the crack will progress up into the taper joint through usage, bought this for distilling sulfuric acid & nitric acid.

I feel bad asking, the thing was wrapped up like a tank.

Steel bar inserted to help show cracks, didn't help much. $300 camera puts out crap photos after a year of use... sorry.

4149.jpg - 41kB 4148.jpg - 57kB

Herr Haber
International Hazard

[*] posted on 3-4-2019 at 03:46

If it were me... I'd ask for a replacement.
I wouldnt be shy about it especially since I order hundreds of $$ from them every few months.

Go To Top