Sciencemadness Discussion Board
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: How to push out (extrude) wet Silica in Column Chromatography in one piece like a sausage?
beerwiz
Hazard to Others

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 13-11-2018 at 22:21
How to push out (extrude) wet Silica in Column Chromatography in one piece like a sausage?

I read this gem online:

"I once heard of a grad student who had compounds that could be visualized right on the column (similar to the standard undergrad ferrocene/acetylferrocene separation.) He would do a partial separation on the column but instead of wasting time eluting, he then blew the whole plug of silica back out of the top and sliced it like a sausage to collect the desired compounds for extraction from the gel."

This sounds much easier than eluting the compound off the column, plus you save on eluent. Any idea how he extruded/pushed out the wet silica from the column in one piece like a sausage so he can just cut the piece that he needs with the compound for later extraction? What is the best technique?

[Edited on 14-11-2018 by beerwiz]

[Edited on 14-11-2018 by beerwiz]
Metacelsus
International Hazard

Mood: Double, double, toil and trouble

[*] posted on 13-11-2018 at 23:45

He probably just applied compressed air to the bottom of the column instead of the top.

However, in cases where this method is possible, you could just use a shorter silica column and elute normally. It's not "wasting time eluting" when you consider the time it would take to extract the compound from the gel.

As below, so above.

My blog: https://denovo.substack.com
Ubya
International Hazard

Mood: I'm a maddo scientisto!!!

[*] posted on 13-11-2018 at 23:52

i don't think this could work if the silica is immersed in solvent (not just wet) as it should be, if you first remove the eluent the phases would smear and move, not good, but if you blew the silica plug while full of eluent it would first push away the eluent ans then maybe the now useless plug.
i don't think this is a great technique

---------------------------------------------------------------------
feel free to correct my grammar, or any mistakes i make
---------------------------------------------------------------------

Go To Top