Sciencemadness Discussion Board
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Phenylbromopropan infos?
dr. nick
Hazard to Self

Mood: yes

[*] posted on 12-5-2008 at 08:35
Phenylbromopropan infos?

Hey!
hope it's the right forum for this:

can someone give some info on Phenylbromopropan?
(should be 1-Phenyl-2-Bromopropan as far as i remember)

like what is it, what is it used for, and so on? or where to find info on it,
synonymes, and so on.

All i can find in this direction is p2p - or do i get that wrong?
(thought one synonym should be phenylbromoaceton - but is this correct?)

thanks in advance,

the apparently learning disabled dr. nick

[Edited on 12-5-2008 by dr. nick]

of course you can well i couldn\'t before
MagicJigPipe
International Hazard

Mood: Suspicious

[*] posted on 12-5-2008 at 11:14

It is not phenyl-bromoacetone. Your molecule is 2-bromopropane group attached to a phenyl group. Pretty simple. I'm not sure what it's used for but I do know one method of synthesizing phenylacetone is a Friedel-Crafts (sp?) reaction between benzene and chloroacetone with AlCl3. I'm sure the bromine equivalents could be used. Perhaps you are somehow referring to this reaction?

1-phenyl-2-bromopropane IS NOT a ketone. Just think of how you would create acetone with 2-bromopropane and the reaction might be similar with the phenylhaloalkane. That's as much as I am going to say. I just don't like the whole "p2p" thing and the drug it relates to.

Good luck.

"There must be no barriers to freedom of inquiry ... There is no place for dogma in science. The scientist is free, and must be free to ask any question, to doubt any assertion, to seek for any evidence, to correct any errors. ... We know that the only way to avoid error is to detect it and that the only way to detect it is to be free to inquire. And we know that as long as men are free to ask what they must, free to say what they think, free to think what they will, freedom can never be lost, and science can never regress." -J. Robert Oppenheimer
dr. nick
Hazard to Self

[*] posted on 12-5-2008 at 12:07

hey - thank you, that's at least something!

just let me state that i'm not interested in amphetamins and stuff like that, so you also could say a little more if you like without any ethic or other risk;)
i want to know for strictly informational purpose.

Quote:
I do know one method of synthesizing phenylacetone is a Friedel-Crafts (sp?) reaction between benzene and chloroacetone with AlCl3. I'm sure the bromine equivalents could be used.

I didn't refer to any reaction but i'd really happy to hear about some.
So you'd say the above stated Friedel-Craft with bromoacteone (? does this exist?), no - probably with bromobenzen might yeild the named substance?

Quote:
Just think of how you would create acetone with 2-bromopropane and the reaction might be similar with the phenylhaloalkane

uh, err, well, that's a hint - so thank you anyway, also if it might be the case that this really was your last word!

cu

Filemon
Hazard to Others

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 12-5-2008 at 15:59

It is necessary to put a protective group to the ketone because the HBr dry generated in the reaction polymerize the ketone.

[Edited on 12-5-2008 by Filemon]

[Edited on 13-5-2008 by Filemon]
Nicodem
Super Moderator

[*] posted on 12-5-2008 at 23:28

Dr. nick, be more specific. There are three regioisomers of "phenylbromopropan". You don't even seem sure that you are interested in 2-bromo-1-phenylpropane. Besides, what kind of information about are you looking for?

Its boiling point of 2-bromo-1-phenylpropane is reported to be 92-93°C at 10 Torr and 48-49°C at 0.2 Torr. CAS number is 2114-39-8. It is generally prepared from 2-phenylisopropanol, hydrobromination of allylbenzene or Friedel-Crafts alkylation of benzene with allyl bromide.

What has bromoacetone or "phenylbromoaceton" to do with your question? And stop using that "p2p" acronym or you'll find your thread in Detritus next time!

…there is a human touch of the cultist “believer” in every theorist that he must struggle against as being unworthy of the scientist. Some of the greatest men of science have publicly repudiated a theory which earlier they hotly defended. In this lies their scientific temper, not in the scientific defense of the theory. - Weston La Barre (Ghost Dance, 1972)

Read the The ScienceMadness Guidelines!
dr. nick
Hazard to Self

[*] posted on 13-5-2008 at 09:26

oh, hoppla - sorry for the nasty word, didn't know it's such a nuisance.
i've mistaken it for some kind of brominated phenylaceton, that's why i came up with p*p.

it's indeed 2-bromo-1-phenylpropan (i guess 1-phenyl-2-bromopropan is the same?) i'm interested in and it's kind of a hobby to search for theoretical ways to produce or obtain substances on other ways than one would do in a lab with everything on one's hands he needs.

MagicJigPipe stated that it's no ketone and i could find out that it is a halogenalkan.
that ain't much, but it's a beginning.

some boring try of a justification:
you may say i should learn the standards first before i engage in such stuff, but it's much more interesting that way (additionally to my text books) and it helps me to understand things. no worries, i'm not going to cook anything and fry my neighbourhood all too soon, as i said, it's just stuff i'd like to know.

MagicJigPipe
International Hazard

Mood: Suspicious

[*] posted on 13-5-2008 at 09:29

Quote:
Originally posted by Nicodem
What has bromoacetone or "phenylbromoaceton" to do with your question? And stop using that "p2p" acronym or you'll find your thread in Detritus next time!

I think he was thinking phenyl-2-propanone could be easily made from phenylbromoacetone and perhaps he thought 1-phenyl-2-bromopropane is phenylbromoacetone even though, of course, it is not.

I normally wouldn't defend the use of the acronym "p2p" but there are many "unofficial" acronyms used in chemistry. It seems like "p2p" would be a valid acronym if it wasn't perpetrated by mentally diminished meth cooks. I just don't like things like "p2honey", "annie", "benz", "ephie", "suzie" and the like. It annoys the hell out of me (the worst is "benz" in my opinion. Is it really supposed to sound like "Mercedes Benz"? If so, damn that's *might sound "homophobic" to some*.)

Sorry, back on topic...

[Edited on 5-13-2008 by MagicJigPipe]

"There must be no barriers to freedom of inquiry ... There is no place for dogma in science. The scientist is free, and must be free to ask any question, to doubt any assertion, to seek for any evidence, to correct any errors. ... We know that the only way to avoid error is to detect it and that the only way to detect it is to be free to inquire. And we know that as long as men are free to ask what they must, free to say what they think, free to think what they will, freedom can never be lost, and science can never regress." -J. Robert Oppenheimer
dr. nick
Hazard to Self

[*] posted on 13-5-2008 at 10:16

Quote:
I think he was thinking phenyl-2-propanone could be easily made from phenylbromoaceton

not exactly - in fact i was hoping there might be a way from p*p to 2-bromo-1-phenylpropan, like brominating, or so, forgive my naivity. :)

there are probably 1 million threads out there to produce p*p so that might have been a good start - i'm not interested myself in that tweaky stuff(s)

Nicodem
Super Moderator

[*] posted on 13-5-2008 at 22:15

You still did not tell what about 2-bromo-1-phenylpropane you want to know about. I gave you the boiling points, the CAS number, the general synthetic outline... yet apparently that was not what you wanted to know. How is anybody supposed to provide you any information if you don't tell what is it that you want to know?

PS: MagicJigPipe, "P2P", "p2p" or any variants of it mean absolutely nothing in chemistry. These are only standard acronyms in internet parlance for "peer to peer" communicating software. However, as an acronym for a chemical they are being often used by cooks and people with criminal intents and I see no rational reason to use them on this forum by amateur chemists as well. Is it so very difficult to write down "phenylacetone" or "phenylpropan--2-one"? Laziness in typing chemical names sometimes really has no limits!

…there is a human touch of the cultist “believer” in every theorist that he must struggle against as being unworthy of the scientist. Some of the greatest men of science have publicly repudiated a theory which earlier they hotly defended. In this lies their scientific temper, not in the scientific defense of the theory. - Weston La Barre (Ghost Dance, 1972)

Read the The ScienceMadness Guidelines!
dr. nick
Hazard to Self

[*] posted on 14-5-2008 at 09:16

@nicodem: yes, you're right and i thank you for all the info!

1.) in the end i'm always after odd (or maybe just doable) ways to synth things.
i'd be really happy if there where someone to tell me other ways than the rhodium's
method from allylbenzen, that's the only one i could find.

2.) i wanted to know what it is - now i know it doesn't have all too much in common with phenylaceton (<-got it :)), it's no keton, but a halogen alkan. so far, so good. any further info is of course still very welcome.

[Edited on 14-5-2008 by dr. nick]

Go To Top