Sciencemadness Discussion Board
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: White precipitate from NaOH + Al reaction?
Rumoden
Harmless

smile.gif posted on 17-11-2018 at 04:26
White precipitate from NaOH + Al reaction?

The other day, I was just trying to make hydrogen gas by reacting NaOH with some aluminum foil. Out of interest, I decided to leave the solution overnight. The once black solution turned colorless with white precipitate on the bottom. What precipitate might this be?

I thought this is NaAlO2 but according to Wikipedia NaAlO2 is soluble in water.
12thealchemist
Hazard to Others

Mood: Rare and Earthy

[*] posted on 17-11-2018 at 05:01

How much precipitate is there relative to the quantity of sodium hydroxide/aluminium you used? i.e. could it be an impurity in the foil? Aluminium foil is usually ~98% aluminium and 2% alloying agents/impurities

Just my two pennyworth
My YouTube channel: www.youtube.com/channel/UC4t9tVlAk7ww1wgCVW4yUjg
Elements collected so far: 65; to collect: Ln, Rb, Sr, Ba, F, Kr, radioactives
Ozone
International Hazard

Mood: Integrated

[*] posted on 17-11-2018 at 05:28

An over-simplification, but aluminum hydroxide. It is amphoteric, so increasing pH further should cause it to dissolve.

Attachment: aluminum hydroxide complexes report.pdf (2.5MB)
This file has been downloaded 457 times

-Anyone who never made a mistake never tried anything new.
--Albert Einstein
AJKOER
Radically Dubious

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 19-11-2018 at 04:41

Ozone, that’s a great paper, but perhaps a bit dated (1967).

In addition to the reaction occurring on standing, I further suspect also if one actually leaves out a solution of sodium aluminate, in contact with air, that any dissolving CO2 may react (see below) resulting in a precipitate of Al(OH)3 and the introduction of aqueous NaHCO3:

Al(OH)4- (aq) = OH- (aq) + Al(OH)3 (s)

CO2 (aq) + OH- (aq) = HCO3- (aq)

Net: Al(OH)4- (aq) + CO2 --> HCO3- (aq) + Al(OH)3 (s)

To quote a study from 1997 (https://inis.iaea.org/collection/NCLCollectionStore/_Public/... ):

"....aluminate in high level waste. Care was taken to minimize exposure of the samples to air since aluminate solutions and solids are extremely hygroscopic and deliquescent, in addition, absorption of atmospheric CO2 occurs readily in solutions exposed to air and therefore such exposure was minimized. Solutions prepared from commercial grade sodium aluminate (method B) were contaminated with carbonate as well as fluorescent impurities that interfered with measurement of Raman spectra."

Also:

"Kinetics of aluminate precipitation:
Precipitation of sodium aluminate from supersaturated solutions is extremely slow at room temperature (22 C). In fact, very concentrated solutions (5-6 M Al) can be prepared as long as they are not heated above about 40 C. At 60 C, all supersaturated' solutions precipitated monosodium aluminate over a period of hours to days. At 22 C, these solutions were stable for several months."

[Edited on 20-11-2018 by AJKOER]

Go To Top