Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Barium Metal
theobromacacao
Harmless

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 15-5-2008 at 04:50
Barium Metal

Does anyone know of a "safe" way to cut a large ingot (20g piece) of Ba metal into smaller pieces, as I have recently purchased some for my Periodic Table collection and it is too large?! I always thought that Ba was a "soft" metal (although had never seen any until recently), but found that it can't readily be cut like Na etc. and is really quite hard! Even my Li sample is easier to cut. I would appreciate any practical ideas. In addition, once I have a smaller sample, would anyone be interested in purchasing the remainder of it as I have quite a lot of flammable solids now in my flat and need to reduce the quantities of chemicals I hold, as I am sure the landlord would not appreciate it! I have approx. 2" slab of Li, 20g Na, this Ba lump and a 5g sealed ampoule of 99.97% pure K. Many thanks.
Zinc
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 15-5-2008 at 05:06

Try using a wood chisel, place the sharp end on the Ba and hit the chisel with a hammer. I think that it should work.

YT2095
International Hazard

Mood: within Nominal Parameters

[*] posted on 15-5-2008 at 05:32

if you`re not in any Rush for the cash (I have to sort my bank out 1`st) I`l certainly have the Ba metal off you if the price is good ;)
that will only leave Strontium metal for me to source.

\"In a world full of wonders mankind has managed to invent boredom\" - Death
Twinkies don\'t have a shelf life. They have a half-life! -Caine (a friend of mine)
kilowatt
Hazard to Others

Mood: nitric

[*] posted on 16-5-2008 at 09:43

I would just coat it in thick wax and cut it with a hand saw of whatever type. If the shavings are pyrophoric I would rig up a miter box with some plastic sheeting around everything (so you can still hold the saw through the sheeting) and fill it with argon.

The mind cannot decide the truth; it can only find the truth.
Mr. Wizard
International Hazard

[*] posted on 17-5-2008 at 09:22

A 20 gram chunk should yield to a good bolt cutter, with no loss to filings or other accidents.
MadHatter
International Hazard

Mood: Enjoying retirement

[*] posted on 17-5-2008 at 20:48
Bolt Cutters

That's a good idea. My 3 ft. bolt cutters will cut 5/8" hardened steel with little
effort and no damage to the bolt cutters. Just do it in plastic bag to keep the pieces
from flying around.

From opening of NCIS New Orleans - It goes a BOOM ! BOOM ! BOOM ! MUHAHAHAHAHAHAHA !
vulture
Forum Gatekeeper

[*] posted on 18-5-2008 at 00:46

I would be wary of any method that produces small flakes and lots of friction = fire.

One shouldn't accept or resort to the mutilation of science to appease the mentally impaired.
theobromacacao
Harmless

[*] posted on 18-5-2008 at 07:22

Thanks for all the replies and feedback. I've now managed to sell the Ba lump and K ampoule thereby making the flat a little safer at least!

Go To Top