Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  
Author: Subject: Extracting lead from car batteries
Zinc
Hazard to Others

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 16-5-2008 at 13:23
Extracting lead from car batteries

We have accumulated a large amount of old car batteries. They are in all sizes. From small that weight around 6-7 kg to large ones that are 60-70 kg heavy. We have already poured the acid from them. Now as they contain a lot of lead in them we would like to extract it. What would be the best method to do that? I was thinking of cutting the top off with an angle grinder, remove the top with all of the plates attached and then remove one by one with a saw (not with an angle grinder because it would spread lead dust all over the place). Also as there is PbO2 in there also what would be the best method from keeping it from flying all over the place while removing the lead plates?

ShadowWarrior4444
Hazard to Others

Mood: Sunlight on a pure white wall.

[*] posted on 16-5-2008 at 13:35

Blowing them up would certainly extract the lead from them! (joke in poor taste)

More seriously: If they are completely discharged, which I would hope they are before you start sawing at them, most of the lead should be the form of lead sulfate. If they’ve been discharged for a while, the lead sulfate should be crystalline and non-conductive. Then I'd suppose you would need to look up lead sulfate and the reactions necessary to reduce it to the metal. (I can't remember many at the moment.) You could engage in a bit of vitriol burning! [Possibly to recover the sulfuric acid.]

A bit of my photography (usually chemisty/physics inspired): ShadowWarrior4444.deviantart.com/gallery
Zinc
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 16-5-2008 at 14:04

Quote:
Originally posted by ShadowWarrior4444
Blowing them up would certainly extract the lead from them! (joke in poor taste)

I have considered that. And I think it is a very good idea!! But the problem is that the cost of the explosive would reduce the profit from selling the lead for scrap. But one battery is reserved for that (we will blow it up underground to reduce the noise and to prevent the parts from flying away)

Quote:
Originally posted by ShadowWarrior4444
More seriously: If they are completely discharged, which I would hope they are before you start sawing at them, most of the lead should be the form of lead sulfate. If they’ve been discharged for a while, the lead sulfate should be crystalline and non-conductive. Then I'd suppose you would need to look up lead sulfate and the reactions necessary to reduce it to the metal. (I can't remember many at the moment.) You could engage in a bit of vitriol burning! [Possibly to recover the sulfuric acid.]

I charge them before removing the acid to increase the acid concentration and the amount of lead in them. So they certainly contain some metallic lead.

Yes it would be nice to reduce the lead dioxide and sulfate to lead but I think that the cost of doing that would reduce the profit from the lead. But I will save the oxide and sulfate. It would be a nice experiment to reduce them to lead:):)

tumadre
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 16-5-2008 at 14:22

OMG *thinking back to my childhood lead experiences...

Alright. band saw, if you have one, or an 18 inch long hack saw works too, for removing the tops of the battery.

If most of these cells are in really bad shape, you may not be able to separate the grid from the active material, if you can, you should separate the two, (make it easier to melt)

Are you thinking of reducing all the lead oxide/sulphate with aluminum?
12AX7
Post Harlot

Mood: informative

[*] posted on 16-5-2008 at 14:26

Heap in a lead smelter with all the other ore. The stack scrubbers will take care of particulates, sulfur oxides and the combustion will take care of the burning battery case (which is probably HDPE).

The easiest way to do this is to give the battery to a *battery recycler*, which is the recommended disposal method for lead-acid batteries, and all other batteries for that matter.

Tim

Seven Transistor Labs LLC http://seventransistorlabs.com/
Electronic Design, from Concept to Layout.
Need engineering assistance? Drop me a message!
View user's profile Visit user's homepage View All Posts By User This user has MSN Messenger
Zinc
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 16-5-2008 at 14:44

I don't have a band saw but I have a hack saw so then I will use that.

I could give them to the recycler but then they only give you 4 cents per kilogram and for lead 62 cents per kg.

vulture
Forum Gatekeeper

[*] posted on 16-5-2008 at 15:02

Quote:

I have considered that. And I think it is a very good idea!! But the problem is that the cost of the explosive would reduce the profit from selling the lead for scrap. But one battery is reserved for that (we will blow it up underground to reduce the noise and to prevent the parts from flying away)

Have you ever considered that lead is a toxic heavy metal and that you will severely contaminate the ground(water) in this way? I'm getting really fed up by your irresponsible behaviour. :mad:

It seems like you're using home chemistry as a front for relieving your adolescent urges. Try sports or a girlfriend for that instead of giving us a bad name. :mad:

One shouldn't accept or resort to the mutilation of science to appease the mentally impaired.
ShadowWarrior4444
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 16-5-2008 at 15:07

Quote:
Originally posted by vulture
Quote:

Have you ever considered that lead is a toxic heavy metal and that you will severely contaminate the ground(water) in this way? I'm getting really fed up by your irresponsible behaviour. :mad:

It seems like you're using home chemistry as a front for relieving your adolescent urges. Try sports or a girlfriend for that instead of giving us a bad name. :mad:

You could at the very least attempt to design weapons, Zinc. Blowing things up for fun can be a thrill, but it is quite cheap; now designing various cannons and missile systems is fun, and can be profitable. (Its been a nice hobby of mine, along with a vast variety of other things.)

My personal favorite (for now) is probably the bromine-water-pistol. *giggles wildly*

A bit of my photography (usually chemisty/physics inspired): ShadowWarrior4444.deviantart.com/gallery
Zinc
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 16-5-2008 at 15:14

Quote:
Have you ever considered that lead is a toxic heavy metal and that you will severely contaminate the ground(water) in this way?

Yes I have considered that. That is why It will be done far away from any cultivated land. And we will remove the lead (and other parts) from the ground. And those 200-300 g of powdered lead oxide and sulfate that remain wont do any harm to the tones and tones of earth in which they will rest. It is a too small quantity to do any harm to the ecosystem.

[Edited on 16-5-2008 by Zinc]

Mr. Wizard
International Hazard

[*] posted on 16-5-2008 at 16:24

A couple of points:
1 Charge the batteries before draining the acid. You get pure lead from the sulfate on one electrode and less SO2 + SO3 into the air. If you want to collect the H2SO4 you get more of it.
2 Flush the cells with clean water after dumping the H2SO4, you can get more of the acid out. Boiling the flushed water will concentrate the acid.
3 Use an air chisel on the battery case. Use eye, ear, and respiratory protection. An air chisel will make short work of the case. It is easy to keep the edge of the chisel out of the plate material. The air chisels are very cheap.
4 Be aware the battery plates will produce SO2 and acid fumes when melted. It stinks and will irritate the hell out of anybody down wind. They will call the authorities. It won't take a Sherlock Holmes to find the source.
5 The Lead will not be pure, it will be contaminated with Antimony and Calcium which are used in the battery. The Calcium metal will liberate Stibnine gas if the dross or scum scraped from the molten metal is allowed to get wet.
6 Be careful adding wet or damp stuff to molten Lead. A little moisture forced below the surface of the molten Lead will launch a geyser of molten metal upward. Nothing wet into a hot pot should be the rule.

;);););)
BromicAcid
International Hazard

Mood: Rock n' Roll

[*] posted on 16-5-2008 at 16:43

Zinc, what country do you live in? In the state I used to live in you had to pay a deposit when you bought a battery, when you brought in a used battery to a scrap metal broker they bought it from you directly for the cost of deposit ($5.00) however after lead went up they started giving more, I think now it's up to $10 per battery.

Regardless, it might be worth it just to turn them in and avoid the hassle. The only easy lead to recover on a battery are the two contacts on the top, the rest is all holed up in the sulfates, dioxides, etc. You end up with a nasty paste and really not many recyclers just take random pastes. I know form experience how difficult it can be to disect one of these batteries and how messy it can be, really, consider just turning them in, that way you don't make a buch of waste to get rid of as well.

Shamelessly plugging my attempts at writing fiction: http://www.robvincent.org
not_important
International Hazard

[*] posted on 16-5-2008 at 16:43

Quote:
Originally posted by Mr. Wizard
5 The Lead will not be pure, it will be contaminated with Antimony and Calcium which are used in the battery. The Calcium metal will liberate Stibnine gas if the dross or scum scraped from the molten metal is allowed to get wet.

I don't believe both are used together, if true it would be fairly simple to sort the batteries into Ca and Sb piles, and process them separately.

Second, this will only be true if there is metallic calcium in the dross, and well as a soluble antimony compound. Treating the dross with alkaline solution likely would prevent such a problem, that needs research. But you could also treat the dry dross with an oxidising flux, say Na2CO3 + NaNO3, to oxidise any metallic calcium.

-------------------------------------

There's a reason you don't get a lot for selling batteries to recyclers, in part because they need to control the release of SOx, lead, and HCl from any PVC used in the batteries.

With the proper installation you can drain and wash the batteries, then smelt them whole or after shredding. The plastics reduce the lead compounds to the metal, SO2 and HCl are scrubbed from the off gases. The slag is high in lead, and needs careful disposal or treatment as a source of lead - an "ore" - to recover most of the lead.
Saerynide
National Hazard

Mood: Ionic

[*] posted on 16-5-2008 at 17:33

Be very careful opening lead acid batteries. If they are over charged, they can spray acid when you open them. Many a pour soul have gotten H2SO4 in their face as a result. I was about to open one a few years ago, but I realized I value my eyes and my face very much, and Id rather just buy the lead.

"Microsoft reserves the right at all times to monitor communications on the Service and disclose any information Microsoft deems necessary to... satisfy any applicable law, regulation or legal process"
MagicJigPipe
International Hazard

Mood: Suspicious

[*] posted on 16-5-2008 at 17:40

Quote:

Have you ever considered that lead is a toxic heavy metal and that you will severely contaminate the ground(water) in this way? I'm getting really fed up by your irresponsible behaviour.

One lead battery. In the ground. How many thousands of tons of lead do you think are shot (by guns) into the ground in the United States? I'm pretty sure metallic lead in the ground isn't the main problem with groundwater pollution. Surely it's the salts and organics. That's only speculation though.

The pollution caused by burying a single battery in the ground is negligible especially if it is picked up afterwards. I understand your concern, vulture, but I don't think you should become "fed up" with him over this. I'm sure you've done irresponsible things in your life. Let's just try not to be like those old guys sitting around saying, "When I was a boy we had to walk to school, uphill both ways in the snow. You kids these days have no responsibility." Let's just inform him and be done with it, okay?

The only reason I would say "don't do it" is if it contained significant quantities of soluable lead salts.

Also, bromicacid, it's the same in my state. You get the 10 dollar deposit when you bring the old battery back. Me, I'd rather have the 10 bucks than the lead or the "satisfaction" of blowing it up underground.

EDIT
I changed my post above to better say what I really meant.

[Edited on 5-16-2008 by MagicJigPipe]

"There must be no barriers to freedom of inquiry ... There is no place for dogma in science. The scientist is free, and must be free to ask any question, to doubt any assertion, to seek for any evidence, to correct any errors. ... We know that the only way to avoid error is to detect it and that the only way to detect it is to be free to inquire. And we know that as long as men are free to ask what they must, free to say what they think, free to think what they will, freedom can never be lost, and science can never regress." -J. Robert Oppenheimer
12AX7
Post Harlot

Mood: informative

[*] posted on 16-5-2008 at 19:46

Quote:
Have you ever considered that lead is a toxic heavy metal and that you will severely contaminate the ground(water) in this way?

Actually, lead stays very well in place, bound to soil and as the carbonate, sulfate, sulfide, etc. I highly doubt groundwater will be a problem, even in the small area affected.

However, if the land is used much (e.g., cropland), THAT will be a problem.

Tim

Seven Transistor Labs LLC http://seventransistorlabs.com/
Electronic Design, from Concept to Layout.
Need engineering assistance? Drop me a message!
View user's profile Visit user's homepage View All Posts By User This user has MSN Messenger
BromicAcid
International Hazard

[*] posted on 16-5-2008 at 20:00

Regardless, lead is an EPA regulated metal. >5 ppm extractable lead relegates dirt as hazardous waste (per the TCLP). If a law enforcement agency ever wanted to get something on a chemist on this forum all they'd have to do is start digging around in their backyard and this sort of thing would give them plenty of ammunition.

tumadre
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 16-5-2008 at 21:24

>5 ppm extractable lead relegates dirt as hazardous waste (per the TCLP).

funny, the concentration of lead in the earth's crust is 14.
ShadowWarrior4444
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 16-5-2008 at 21:31

Quote:
Originally posted by tumadre
>5 ppm extractable lead relegates dirt as hazardous waste (per the TCLP).

funny, the concentration of lead in the earth's crust is 14.

Under the new standards, lead is considered a hazard when equal to or exceeding: 40 micrograms of lead in dust per square foot on floors; 250 micrograms of lead in dust per square foot on interior window sills and 400 parts per million (ppm) of lead in bare soil in children's play areas or 1200 ppm average for bare soil in the rest of the yard.

-Residential Lead Hazard Standards
TSCA Section 403
(http://www.epa.gov/lead/pubs/leadhaz.htm)

BromicAcid
International Hazard

[*] posted on 16-5-2008 at 21:31

Exactly, and the permissable amount in dirt for areas where children can play is a few hundred ppm. But first this is the TCLP test, not just an overall lead test but extractable test, and additionally this only applies to materials that are being treated as hazardous waste.

http://www.ehso.com/cssepa/TCLP.htm

Quote:

40 CFR §261.24, outlines the 40 contaminants the TCLP analysis tests for (See Table 1—Maximum Concentration of Contaminants for Toxicity Characteristic). If a “Solid Waste” fails the test for one or more of these compounds, the waste is considered to be a characteristic hazardous waste – unless there is an exemption that applies. Bear in mind, too, that a characteristic waste may still also be a “listed” hazardous waste.

D008
Lead (Pb)
5.0 ppm

Again, I am talking about extractable lead with a TCLP test, but if you're tearing apart batteries the possibility for contamination is great and if someone classifies your contaminated soil as waste material, you could be in trouble.

[Edited on 5/17/2008 by BromicAcid]

MagicJigPipe
International Hazard

[*] posted on 16-5-2008 at 21:33

I was just about to say something about that. What about the lead sulfate, sulfide and carbonate that's exists throughout the Earth's crust? I'm sure there's even a little natural elemental lead.

I doubt he is detonating his explosives on land that is used for crops but I could be wrong.

Also, how would the government determine if the lead was either put there by someone else or natural? I mean with absolute certainty (not that that matters). I would not put it past them to pull something like that out of their asses though. I wonder how many "non-chemist's" back yards have an unacceptable amount of Pb? I bet more than you'd think.

EDIT
I forgot to mention sinkers used for fishing. I mean, these go directly in the water. I think lead is so insoluble that it's not a big deal.

[Edited on 5-16-2008 by MagicJigPipe]

"There must be no barriers to freedom of inquiry ... There is no place for dogma in science. The scientist is free, and must be free to ask any question, to doubt any assertion, to seek for any evidence, to correct any errors. ... We know that the only way to avoid error is to detect it and that the only way to detect it is to be free to inquire. And we know that as long as men are free to ask what they must, free to say what they think, free to think what they will, freedom can never be lost, and science can never regress." -J. Robert Oppenheimer
BromicAcid
International Hazard

[*] posted on 16-5-2008 at 21:40

Regardless, the fact remains that contamination is a possibility, expecially if you are just dumping the acid. And although the environment could technically take one for the team, it is something that would be frowned upon.

My previous statements still stand with regards to just recycling the things and getting it over with, it's not something I normally say. Normally I am gung-ho about doing things at home, making my own reagents, and I would call someone saying the same things as me unmodivated and not participating in discussion in the spirit of this forum, but really, it seems there would be eaiser ways to make the money.

ShadowWarrior4444
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 16-5-2008 at 21:55

I don't particularly have a problem with disassembling old batteries for reagents, whether from a car or those pretty graphite electrodes from dry cells. Blowing one up *may* be a waste, unless you were testing a novel weapon system based on a car battery, or car battery housing.

As for the TCLP test: It is meant to replicate landfill conditions, testing for leaching of toxic materials in such conditions, and is therefore used to discern whether waste is suitable for dumping in those conditions. It is quite likely that blowing that lead battery up in a desolate location is several times more environmentally thoughtful than sending it off to a dump. (Though, recycling trumps both.)

[Edited on 5-17-2008 by ShadowWarrior4444]

vulture
Forum Gatekeeper

[*] posted on 17-5-2008 at 01:25

Quote:

One lead battery. In the ground. How many thousands of tons of lead do you think are shot (by guns) into the ground in the United States? I'm pretty sure metallic lead in the ground isn't the main problem with groundwater pollution. Surely it's the salts and organics. That's only speculation though.

You are comparing apples with oranges (again). Lead metal is quite inert in the environment, unless it's in a highly acidic environment. However, and I can't believe I have to mention this on a chemistry forum, a lead battery contains sulfuric acid, with dissolved lead and lead sulfate. Not to mention the PbO2 that's quite reactive toward organic matter. That is ALL going to end up in the soil as more or less soluble lead salts in the end. Do you think that pollution is acceptable?

Quote:

The pollution caused by burying a single battery in the ground is negligible especially if it is picked up afterwards.

He's going to BLOW IT UP. You think the lead will stay nicely in place?

Quote:

I was just about to say something about that. What about the lead sulfate, sulfide and carbonate that's exists throughout the Earth's crust? I'm sure there's even a little natural elemental lead.

Lead ores are insoluble and usually immobile in soil. You can't compare it to a lead acid battery. Furthermore, the concentration for lead stated here, is an average. Usually it'll be much lower and much higher in places were ore is found. Have you ever been to places were high concentrations of lead ore are found? I have. Not much grows there.

One shouldn't accept or resort to the mutilation of science to appease the mentally impaired.
Zinc
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 17-5-2008 at 10:17

Today we tried to remove the lead from a small car battery. We first broke up the outside layer of plastic with a hammer. I saw something that I thought were lead plates. Upon removing one I notices that it is a grid from lead wire and a gray powder filing the empty space between the strings. Then we burned off the remaining plastic, collected the grids with the powder and the powder that fell out. Upon melting some of the powder we saw that it is actually impure lead powder. We collected all the powder and the grids in a metal container in which we will melt it to cast lead ingots. And would be a good idea to add some charcoal powder to the lead while melting it to reduce any oxides in it?

MagicJigPipe
International Hazard

[*] posted on 17-5-2008 at 14:05

I know that a battery contains PbO2. I know PbO2 is used as the cathode but isn't most of this "reacted" to PbSO4 in a discharged battery (which should be virtually insoluble and is a component of some lead ores if I'm not mistaken)? Also, I don't consider any pollution acceptable, just some worse than others.

Zinc, I don't think it would hurt to try and reduce the oxides in the lead. It would certainly make a more pure product. However, I believe lead forms an oxide coating similar to aluminum (this is from memory so I could be wrong) which is (part of) the reason why it is virtually inert to sulfuric acid. For that reason I think even if the lead was pure I would add some carbon just to reduce the oxides that were formed while (s)melting.

That is, if you're going for chemically pure lead and not just lead to be used for bullets, sinkers, structures etc...

Pages:  1  

Go To Top