Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: '95 Toyota Camry XLE 4 Cylinder Parts
MagicJigPipe
International Hazard

Mood: Suspicious

[*] posted on 21-5-2008 at 12:45
'95 Toyota Camry XLE 4 Cylinder Parts

I've been having all kinds of trouble with this vehicle lately and I think it's finally done for (more trouble than it's worth to fix it). I'm pretty sure the head gasket is "blown" or the head is warped or cracked. If so, I will be disassembling it for parts before I take it to the "junk yard".

I'm keeping the A/C unit, the fans, the radiator, the battery and possibly the catalytic converter but, as far as I know, everything else is up for grabs. Is there anything else from a car that might have lab uses? If so, I might use them or sell/give them away.

I will know for sure once I finish replacing this spark plug (I'm doing that later tonight). I'm almost certain that I will be "parting it out", though.

"There must be no barriers to freedom of inquiry ... There is no place for dogma in science. The scientist is free, and must be free to ask any question, to doubt any assertion, to seek for any evidence, to correct any errors. ... We know that the only way to avoid error is to detect it and that the only way to detect it is to be free to inquire. And we know that as long as men are free to ask what they must, free to say what they think, free to think what they will, freedom can never be lost, and science can never regress." -J. Robert Oppenheimer
shadow
Hazard to Self

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 21-5-2008 at 15:58

Is the computer Federal, or west coast?
MagicJigPipe
International Hazard

[*] posted on 21-5-2008 at 17:03

I'm not sure. I'm certainly not a mechanic or an expert with cars but I do know what I'm doing most of the time...

That being said, how would I tell?

"There must be no barriers to freedom of inquiry ... There is no place for dogma in science. The scientist is free, and must be free to ask any question, to doubt any assertion, to seek for any evidence, to correct any errors. ... We know that the only way to avoid error is to detect it and that the only way to detect it is to be free to inquire. And we know that as long as men are free to ask what they must, free to say what they think, free to think what they will, freedom can never be lost, and science can never regress." -J. Robert Oppenheimer
Sauron
International Hazard

Mood: metastable

[*] posted on 21-5-2008 at 17:46

Pardon me, but it SM turning into craislist?

What do auto parts have to do with amateur science? Unless you are going to use them in your lab of course. Perhaps the entire vehicle is your CO generator?

This is simpoly and completely OT for this forum.

Sic gorgeamus a los subjectatus nunc.
The_Davster
A pnictogen

Mood: .

[*] posted on 21-5-2008 at 19:04

Quote:
Originally posted by Sauron
What do auto parts have to do with amateur science?

Quote:
Originally posted by MagicJigPipe
Is there anything else from a car that might have lab uses? If so, I might use them or sell/give them away.

The airbag contains sodium azide if you have a use for that, as well the fuel line pumps I imagine are specialty and would be great if you ever need to pump compatible organic liquids.

[Edited on 21-5-2008 by The_Davster]

shadow
Hazard to Self

[*] posted on 21-5-2008 at 20:21

The sticker on the bottom of the hood will say calif or fed standards for tuning.

I'll take the gasoline too, that's a chemical, Dr. Sauron.

And, by the way, Dr., how's the weather been?

[Edited on 21-5-2008 by shadow]
MagicJigPipe
International Hazard

[*] posted on 21-5-2008 at 20:59

The only reason I posted this is because of all the interest in using parts of cars for equipment in the lab on this very forum. The A/C unit is very useful. I remember someone trying to do something with a catalytic converter. Many cars made before the year 2000 contain up to 150g of mercury.

I don't consider it inappropriate at all. I can think of all kinds of things I could use parts from a vehicle for. I know someone here used a window A/C unit successfully as a recirculating chiller. I'm not sure how a vehicle's A/C heat removing capabilities compare but I do know it sure as hell gets ice cold in that car in just a few minutes. I know there is a vacuum system in the car and platinum/iridium in the spark plugs (not much but...). The battery can be used. The VERY powerful fans could be used with the radiator to radiate heat from something.

Not to mention the belts could be useful for driving something with an electric motor (like the starter). There are about 20 different relays, transformers, an amplifier/crossover, switches, electric motors, hydraulic system(s), all kinds of thermostats and analog/electronic guages, a window heating wire, a non-submersible water pump, fuel pump designed specifically for pumping hydrocarbons (as Davster mentioned), air filter, oxygen sensor, hoses resistant to fuel/hydrocarbons, fuel injectors and all kinds of special/rare alloys.

Indeed, this is the only place I can think of where this post would be appropriate (and not attacked by people saying "I can't believe you're going to waste those parts on something besides cars").

EDIT
The CO produced by a car is too diluted with other crap for lab use, IMO. Although I'm pretty sure you said that in jest. Besides, the car is pretty much kaput (without spending up to $1000 to fix it, it's only worth $2,300 according to the all-powerful bluebook) and wouldn't be good for running for more than 50-100 hours or so, if that. (not to mention it's misfiring pretty bad, still).
Quote:

Pardon me

You are excused, good sir ;)

[Edited on 5-21-2008 by MagicJigPipe]

Phosphor-ing
Hazard to Others

Mood: Inquisitive

[*] posted on 22-5-2008 at 07:04

is it power windows or manual ones? If manual then take both build a stand and platform and you have a homemade lab jack. Just an idea...

"The nine most terrifying words in the English language are: 'I'm from the government and I'm here to help.'" -Ronald Reagan
evil_lurker
National Hazard

Mood: On the wagon again.

[*] posted on 22-5-2008 at 09:50

How much difference is there between a 95 and the 96 model?

I need a new center console and power antenna.

What color is the interior?

Might even take the rims...

[Edited on 22-5-2008 by evil_lurker]

Not all chemicals are bad. Without chemicals such as hydrogen and oxygen, for example, there would be no way to make water, a vital ingredient in beer.
-jeffB
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 22-5-2008 at 11:14

Quote:
Originally posted by MagicJigPipe
Many cars made before the year 2000 contain up to 150g of mercury.

How's that again? The only thing I see in a quick Google search is tilt-switches on hood and trunk, which account for at most a couple of grams per car. Where else does it lurk?
MagicJigPipe
International Hazard

[*] posted on 22-5-2008 at 19:01

I used to have a .pdf that lists all of the possible mercury sources in a car. Some examples: automatic window tilt switches, special car alarms that detect tilting, hood/trunk lights, some special seatbelt latches, some airbag (de)activator switches and a few other things.

The interior is brown leather, the power antenna works and I already have it detached, the rims are factory. Also, there's nothing wrong with the console, just needs some cleaning. The passenger and driver's seat leather has some tears, though.

I thought long and hard about what I could use that power antenna for... but alas I couldn't think of anything. So, it's yours if you want it, I think...

Go To Top