Sciencemadness Discussion Board
Not logged in [Login - Register]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  ..  61    63
Author: Subject: Unconventional Shaped Charges
NeonPulse
National Hazard

Mood: Everclear or Neverclear. Can't decide.

[*] posted on 27-1-2018 at 21:44

too late to actually edit my post.... here's a quick video that was put together hastily depicting the linear charge:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LoCr_I0mDcM&t=19s...

Where there is a will
there is a way.

AllCheMystery!
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCWbbidIY4v57uczsl0Fgv7w?vie...
greenlight
International Hazard

Mood: Energetic

[*] posted on 15-10-2018 at 08:08
44mm EFP

I have been constructing a new 44mm EFP charge over the past weeks to try and punch a hole through a target that has resisted every attempt with a 30mm design.

Screenshot_20181016-000923_Gallery.jpg - 2.2MB

The specs are:

▪Diameter = 44 mm
▪Flyer thickness = 1.5 mm Cu
▪Casing = PVC
▪Charge Weight = 26 g PETN PE (16% inerts)
▪Standoff = 95cm
▪Target = 20mm steel

I usually sight the charge with a high powered laser pointer which helps a lot as it is quite difficult to get a direct hit just by eyeing it. Of course the thing decides to shit itself today and makes sure it waits til I am at the test site to do it:P
The target plate is only the size of a dinner plate so it's a small area to hit but I sighted it by eye as best I could before inserting the cap and initiating it.
Walked back to ground zero and wow, shock and awe, it hit high;).

It is quite a decent hit though and quite a wide projectile due to the low head height of the charge. As can be seen by the photos, because it was so close to the edge of the plate it penetrated for a bit and then lost kinetic energy to the side as it took the path of least resistance and slid off over the top of the plate (that part was the top, plate was stuck in ground). You can also see stress fractures in the steel.

Screenshot_20181016-000933_Gallery.jpg - 1.9MBScreenshot_20181016-001018_Gallery.jpg - 1.2MB

Also take into account the fact that it would have hit at a 10° angle instead of straight on, and the plate was just hammered into the ground and had some movement.
Penetration from what I can record is about 13mm before it started moving laterally. Im sure it would have almost if not fully made it if the hit was direct. Can always try some barrel tamping if not.

Guess I will have to step it up to a 50mm and have another crack at it, but first to find another decent laser pointer.

Screenshot_20181016-000957_Gallery.jpg - 1.5MB

[Edited on 15-10-2018 by greenlight]

[Edited on 15-10-2018 by greenlight]

The only use for an atomic bomb is to keep somebody else from using one.
George Wald
NeonPulse
National Hazard

Mood: Everclear or Neverclear. Can't decide.

[*] posted on 19-10-2018 at 23:43

Nice job Greenlight. Still meaning to get around to trying these EFP setups. One day...

But here’s a very interesting video. Not so much unconventional but still shaped charges and some amazing footage: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=dHfQYGGUS4U&autoplay=1
That penetrator on that door at the 4:00 minute mark displayed some great footage I’ve never seen before. Great job from these guys as usual.

[Edited on 20-10-2018 by NeonPulse]

Where there is a will
there is a way.

AllCheMystery!
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCWbbidIY4v57uczsl0Fgv7w?vie...
greenlight
International Hazard

[*] posted on 21-10-2018 at 00:25

Thanks NP,

I can't believe you linked that! I was watching that exact video earlier today.
Yeah, that copper shaped charge was just beautiful to watch, the detcord and shocktube looked nice too and you get a pretty good view of the shockwave in motion on the last one.

It still amazes me that such a lightweight liner weighing in the grams range hitting a barrel half full of water weighing multiple kgs has the ability and force to throw the whole thing 9 or 10 inches off the ground.

P.S. Looking forward to seeing the properties of that perchlorate complex you made:)

[Edited on 21-10-2018 by greenlight]

George Wald
Uriel
Harmless

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 21-10-2018 at 13:14

Hi everyone.
Thank you for all your informations !
Here, my results after many fails. I have tried with plastic container, but it don’t work correctly.
I read here that it need to be in steel pipe to work well. By chance, I’ve found a pipe of 2,4mm of wall thickness for 29mm inner diameter. It is thin but it’s a test.
Here pipe is steel 50mm long by 29 inner diameter.
The copper cone was made by galvanoplastie at 90° (if my memories are good) and the thickness of the copper is about 1,4mm (estimated by mass/area).
I’ve put 38,3g of melting ETN but bubbles don’t make me reach a good density… So sad.
The detonator was at center, and made by 1,5g of ETN powder electrically ignited by 0,25g of TATP.
The penetration was 45mm in classic S235 steel. (Stack of 8mm plates).
The ratio penetration/diameter is 1,55… Quite bad against military performances, but I’m proud of me !!
Hope it can be be interesting for you !

(Next stage : RDX powder with EGDN, better density and VOD !)
(And as I've not 50mm diameter pipe, I will try with concrete, I'm sure it will contain a part of explosion)
Have a nice day guys.

IMGP5365.JPG - 493kB IMGP5373.JPG - 495kB IMGP5374.JPG - 490kB IMGP5393.JPG - 476kB IMGP5394.JPG - 488kB IMGP5396.JPG - 492kB IMGP5399.JPG - 490kB

[Edited on 21-10-2018 by Uriel]

[Edited on 21-10-2018 by Uriel]
greenlight
International Hazard

[*] posted on 23-10-2018 at 07:16

Nice job, I never quite got those conical shaped charges right.

That amount of explosive seems quite high from memory of other peoples SC's but that liner is pretty thick at 1.4mm.

I have seen from previous tests that the gaps between the stacked up metal target plates also slows the jet down much faster than if it was a solid target too by promoting breakup every time it has to re enter.

What was the standoff distance?

George Wald
 Pages:  1  ..  61    63

Go To Top