Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: ammonium formate
beastmaster
Harmless

Mood: hyper

[*] posted on 28-5-2008 at 20:38
ammonium formate

I have ammonium chloride and formic acid. I would like to make a small amount of ammonium formate. Could I make NH3 by adding my NH4cl to naoh and bubbling the gas into the formic acid, then evaporate off the remaining formic acid? Iv'e searched on the web and my few chem. books in my collection for a preparation but haven't had no luck. Any Info or a shove in the right direction to where to find a lab preparation would be of great help.
not_important
International Hazard

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 28-5-2008 at 22:09

Yeah, that would work. Better to drip a strong NaOH solution onto the NH4Cl in a flask, so as to be able to control the reaction rate. Also watch out for suckback of the formic acid into the ammonia delivery tube; check out descriptions of making aqueous ammonia or hydrochloric acid from the gases. You might start off with the delivery tube just touching the acid and a slow rate of ammonia generation; stir the acid during the addition process.

As formic acid is pretty strong, you could get away using Na2CO3 instead of NaOH, using a _wide_ delivery tube and heating the NH4Cl+Na2CO3 80-100 C.
DJF90
International Hazard

[*] posted on 28-5-2008 at 22:48

The way I've seen bubbling HCl into water described is with an inverted funnel. This would be applicable here, and would probably be much better than a wide delivery tube.
not_important
International Hazard

[*] posted on 28-5-2008 at 23:21

Wide tube was if Na2CO3 was used instead of NaOH, the ammonium carbonates might clog a narrow tube but are advantageous for folk who have difficulties getting NaOH - no sense wasting it on making ammonia.
DJF90
International Hazard

[*] posted on 29-5-2008 at 00:44

Sorry I didnt read it properly. Using an inverted funnel would help reduce the suckback greatly if gaseous ammonia is bubbled directly into the formic acid.
S.C. Wack
bibliomaster

Mood: Enhanced

[*] posted on 29-5-2008 at 02:43

Given that you'd need 594 liters of ammonia to convert a liter of 100% formic acid to ammonium formate, if you're having suckback problems what you really need to do is increase the gas flow, unless you have nothing better to do for the rest of the week.

Go To Top