Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Oxygen balance
froot
Hazard to Others

Mood: refluxed

[*] posted on 2-11-2003 at 11:47
Oxygen balance

In the world of energetic materials a whole spectrum compounds lay before us. We can judge them by a variety of properties but the ideal material with the ideal properties does not seem to occur with one compound. eg mouldability, ease of manufacture, ease of initiation, sensitivity, oxygen balance etc. Therefore they mix some of these things together to make a composite as close to the ideal as possible, sometimes forfeiting some of the desired properties, eg vod, etc.
Many times 'oxygen balance' is mentioned and this to me is the efficiency of the compound's use of energy.
I propose to formulate a list in order of oxygen balance of energetic materials and from this we can optimise formulations. Maybe
i'm re-inventing the wheel here but it might be quite rewarding and it will always be here as a reference.
There is a list on this site: (http://www.iomosaic.com/iomosaic/pdf/o2-crit.pdf) which sparked the idea.
Could we use this as a starting point? And then if anyone has any other additions to make, please go ahead. (not sure how to have the list editable on one page, any suggestions?)

We salute the improvement of the human genome by honoring those who remove themselves from it.
Of necessity, this honor is generally bestowed posthumously. - www.darwinawards.com
vulture
Forum Gatekeeper

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 2-11-2003 at 12:24

I recall replying quite extensively to a similar question on the E&W forum. I can't remember the exact name of the topic however.

Maybe someone else who remembers this could dig it up?

One shouldn't accept or resort to the mutilation of science to appease the mentally impaired.
Axt
National Hazard

[*] posted on 4-11-2003 at 04:27

Vulture: I think you make mention of a document containing the information <a href="http://www.roguesci.org/theforum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=2983">here</a>.

Though the document you make reference to on the ftp wont open correctly in MS Word - comes up rubbish. Do you still have it?

Ive been adding OB's as I use them to this page - http://rogue.altlist.com/html/explosiveproperties.html

There are errors there, it was originally compiled by someone who didnt have english as their first language. It also seems to have a lot of commercial names listed which arnt a lot of use.

<a href="http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&threadm=38DC3781.3701%40hotmail.com&rnum=5&prev=/groups %3Fq%3Ddetonation%2Bvelocities%26hl%3Den%26lr%3D%26ie%3DUTF-8%26oe%3DUTF-8%26selm%3D38DC3781.3701%2540hotmail.com%26rnum%3D5">original source of most data on alt.engr.explosives</a>

[Edited on 4-11-2003 by Axt]
vulture
Forum Gatekeeper

[*] posted on 4-11-2003 at 06:51

found the topic:

http://www.roguesci.org/theforum/showthread.php?s=&threa...

I attached the document you mentioned.

Data is from Basislexikon der Chemie, Römpp, 2001.

explosiveproperties2.gif - 8kB

One shouldn't accept or resort to the mutilation of science to appease the mentally impaired.
vulture
Forum Gatekeeper

[*] posted on 4-11-2003 at 06:53

Next part of the data...

explosiveproperties1.gif - 10kB

froot
Hazard to Others

Mood: refluxed

[*] posted on 4-11-2003 at 07:55

Ok then taking info from your reply in W&E Vulture, and the site I mentioned above, as an example we have:
RDX with a OB of -21,6%
AN with a OB of +20% (I think it's %)
or NG with an OB of +3,5-4%

RDX as impressive as it is does not have enough oxygen for complete combustion so if we add something like the above with a +ve OB, in the correct ratio, will this improve the 'performance', acknowledging that the other desired properties may be compromised?
I know 'performance' is very unspecific but I'm thinking along the lines of brisance and vod.

Thanx for that link AXT that's exactly what I had in mind, Ive added it to my favourites.

[Edited on 4-11-2003 by froot]

We salute the improvement of the human genome by honoring those who remove themselves from it.
Of necessity, this honor is generally bestowed posthumously. - www.darwinawards.com
vulture
Forum Gatekeeper

[*] posted on 4-11-2003 at 11:10

VoD and brisance will go down. Explosion heat will go up.

Axt
National Hazard

[*] posted on 4-11-2003 at 16:31

Not always!

Tetranitromethane %OB:+72.7 Density:1.62 VOD:6360
Tetranitromethane/toluene %OB: +39.4 Density: 1.46 VOD: 9300!

Extreme example, but also true for ANFO, VOD is increased by adding a fuel though Im not sure if it has to do with its OB or its physical properties changing by adding a liquid fuel.

I ran across this when trying to estimate the VOD of the ETN/NM/NC plastic composite I used - Ive no idea what mixing them to OB has done to its VOD, any ideas?

[Edited on 5-11-2003 by Axt]

Go To Top