Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Yttrium metal
D4RR3N
Hazard to Others

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 5-6-2008 at 10:18
Yttrium metal

I can purchase Yttrium metal in lump form relatively cheaply but the prices I have been quoted for Yttrium powder are six times higher then the price of lump yttrium. Firstly I cant understand why its so expensive as its not as rare as other elements which are much cheaper. Secondly I was wondering if I purchased a few kgs of yttrium in lump form dose anyone know if I could get it milled somewhere, strange question I know but has anyone here ever got a solid metal milled into a powder form?

Edit by C: Spelling- Yttrium, not Yuttrium

[Edited on 6-6-2008 by chemoleo]
12AX7
Post Harlot

Mood: informative

[*] posted on 5-6-2008 at 10:36

Yttrium?

I imagine it has to be milled under inert gas.

What powder size, what for, etc.?

Tim

Seven Transistor Labs LLC http://seventransistorlabs.com/
Electronic Design, from Concept to Layout.
Need engineering assistance? Drop me a message!
View user's profile Visit user's homepage View All Posts By User This user has MSN Messenger
D4RR3N
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 5-6-2008 at 12:50

Sorry, Yttrium (Y) metal, I can purchase it for under $300 per kg in lump form but I received a quote from China today at $2000 per kg powder :o
First I thought it was a typing mistake but then I was told the prise was extra high to help the earthquake victims. Thats about seven times more expensive then lump yttrium:o

Particle size is not critical but the finer the better. Not sure how its milled, vacuum, inert gas or fluid?
jokull
National Hazard

Mood: Ice glassed

[*] posted on 5-6-2008 at 14:20

What you need is a Ball Milling machine.
I don´t know if you can gain access to such a thing. Anyway, the atmosphere for milling depends on the metal itself. For example, if it is pyrophoric you may need nitrogen or argon.

How fine your powder will be depends on the balls' ratio, i.e. the ratio of ball diameter over initial particle diameter.

There are many other methods for particle attrition but I am not familiar with.
chemoleo
Biochemicus Energeticus

Mood: crystalline

[*] posted on 5-6-2008 at 16:45

What is the supplier, if I may ask?

Never Stop to Begin, and Never Begin to Stop...
Tolerance is good. But not with the intolerant! (Wilhelm Busch)
chemrox
International Hazard

Mood: LaGrangian

[*] posted on 5-6-2008 at 17:54

What about grinding it up under a liquid?

"When you let the dumbasses vote you end up with populism followed by autocracy and getting back is a bitch." Plato (sort of)
JohnWW
International Hazard

[*] posted on 5-6-2008 at 20:32

It is quite a reactive metal, and it would react, possibly burn in, nitrogen, if it was ground in nitrogen, to form YN. It may also react with CO2, so the only gas that it could be ground under would be argon.
D4RR3N
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 6-6-2008 at 05:11

jokull,

I thought a ball mill was only used to reduce brittle substances to a powder, metal?
If its as I think it consists of a tube with two heavy balls which are free to slide up and down the length of the tube. The tube is capped at both ends and a ball is inserted, then the material you want to reduce to powder, then the second ball is inserted and the whole assembly rotated.

I have never seen the machinery used to mill metals but I had visualised it as a circular wheel with a file like surface (think of an enlarged version of the wheel used in a cigarette lighter) I think it would be milled under liquid because the process would produce heat.

chemoleo ,

The supplier that gave me that quote was TJ Technologies & Materials
http://www.tjtminc.com

I could understand the price of Yttrium powder being higher then in lump form but seven times the price:o
jokull
National Hazard

Mood: Ice glassed

[*] posted on 6-6-2008 at 09:27

There are many other methods for the production of metal powders.
Here is the link to download "Metal Powders" book:

http://mihd.net/h7worp/

Therein you will find a brief description of general methods used for obtaining different sizes of a given metal. It seems there is no an specific description for yttrium but it may give you some clues to dive deep into your subject.
JohnWW
International Hazard

[*] posted on 6-6-2008 at 15:39

Thanks, Jokull. In grinding a reactive metal to a powder under a liquid, there would be the added problem and expense of drying or otherwise removing the liquid afterwards. Reactive metals which could form hydroxides (this would include yttrium) obviously cannot be safely ground under water. Grinding under lube oil poses the problem of removing the oil by solvent extraction (e.g. with benzene, toluene, petroleum ether, or hexane) afterwards.

BTW As I remember, it took someone quite some time to devise a satisfactory method of grinding brass to a powder, for use as the pigment in imitation "gold" paint. It was a trade secret for many years.
D4RR3N
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 7-6-2008 at 13:14

jokull , When I click on that link I dont see anything about metals?

Guess a stream of refrigerated inert gas could be used to grind metals and remove the heat generated.
Waffles
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 9-6-2008 at 19:38

Don't bother with chinese or any company not in North America or Europe for metals, chemicals, or other pure material type- you will be screwed. You will not be successful in creating your own yttrium powder- grinding a relatively hard metal to powder is a silly idea, and I doubt you want to go to the trouble to make a contraption to melt the stuff in an inert atmosphere and spray out the pressurized metal (also into inert atmosphere) which is really your only other option for making powder. Try A.D. Mackay- they are a GOOD company, and I would expect them to help an individual such as yourself, and they will not bullshit you.

\"…\'tis man\'s perdition to be safe, when for the truth he ought to die.\"
D4RR3N
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 12-6-2008 at 03:46

I was not going to go to the bother of constructing a machine to reduce the metal to powder, I thought I might be able to get it milled somewhere. You are right about Chinese company's though, there is no set price, they just see how much they can get from you.

Go To Top