Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
 Pages:  1    3
Author: Subject: Sulfuric acid dye
entropy51
Gone, but not forgotten

Mood: Fissile

[*] posted on 15-6-2009 at 15:39

Mossy, H2O2 + H2SO4 makes piranha acid, a ferocious acid. Use the search engine. This is not something to be attempted by the inexperienced. If you try it you should be VERY careful.

Black H2SO4 seems to work fine for making HNO3 or HCl. Decolorizing it doesn't get rid of many things likely to be in there, like the dichlorobenzene that the MSDS says in yours.

Piranha + dichlorobenzene may run away!
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 15-6-2009 at 15:40

Oh that was silly, I knew that. My apologies. I will try a very small amount in a very large beaker.
benzylchloride1
Hazard to Others

Mood: Pushing the envelope of synthetic chemistry in one's basement

[*] posted on 19-6-2009 at 12:56

I recently purchased a bottle of Drano brand sulfuric acid. The acid looked almost like the acid in my bottle of ACS grade sulfuric acid. The acid has a very slight yellow tinge due to the paper liner on the cap of the bottle. The warning label on the bottle states that it contains concentrated sulfuric acid. Some bottles I have seen specify the ingredient as specially inhibited sulfuric acid. I have used this acid for most of my chemistry experiments and it seems to work fine.

Amateur NMR spectroscopist
entropy51
Gone, but not forgotten

Mood: Fissile

[*] posted on 19-6-2009 at 14:15

benzylchloride1, did you mean Drano? All the Drano entries at http://www.householdproducts.nlm.nih.gov/ indicate that Drano products contain NaOH.

The reason I ask is that I recently hit the jackpot with a bottle of Rooto. It looked like ACS reagent SA and was about the same concentration, as I reported upthread. I'm wondering if Rooto put out a really good batch!
einstein(not)
Hazard to Self

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 19-6-2009 at 15:28

Recently I concentrated some liquid fire drain cleaner and find myself confused with the results of the specific grafity test.

Liquid fire before boiling is a very dark reddish brown and not very viscous. Specific gravity 1.825
After boiling it becomes transparent light reddsh and quite a bit thicker. Specific gravity 1.800
After bubbling in SO3 from 500gr. of sodium bisulfate dehydrated to sodium pyrosulfate with some H2SO4 as catalyst into 250ml of boiled liquid fire it was almost clear. Specific gravity 1.700

The msds list sulfuric acid specific gravity 1.835 and rodine specific gravity 1.3-1.5

I'm wondering if I might not have dehydrated the bisulfate enough and got some dilution from steam passing over that caused the specific gravity to decrease. Shouldn't it increase with concentration?

Rodine 85 msds here: http://www.telfordindustries.com.au/Uploads/Images/HENKEL%20...

[Edited on 19-6-2009 by einstein(not)]
grndpndr
National Hazard

[*] posted on 29-6-2009 at 12:48

There is very obviously a hit and miss aspect to what youll get in regards to H2SO4 drain cleaners depending perhaps on geographic as well as time differentials..Ive seen what appears to be near reagent grade with a slight yellow tint and then the same brand some time later Ink black producing a great amount of foam during a lab,In fact ruining
the entire synthesis.
crazyboy
Hazard to Others

Mood: Marginally insane

[*] posted on 29-6-2009 at 13:10

Quote: Originally posted by entropy51  
Mossy, H2O2 + H2SO4 makes piranha acid, a ferocious acid. Use the search engine. This is not something to be attempted by the inexperienced. If you try it you should be VERY careful.

This is true but I have done it effectively. I was using "Flush-Out" to produce Acetic acid with sodium acetate however when I used the regular Flush-out the product refused to freeze even in a freezer while acetic acid made with reagent grade would freeze in the fridge.

Well the cleanup went very well. The acid was named "Flush Out" it came in a gallon jug and cost about $16. The acid looks like motor oil or brown cough syrup.

"

100ml of the acid were added to a 600ml beaker. Slow additions of 30% hydrogen peroxide were added and the mixture heated up and produced O2 (decomposition of H2O2). About 40ml hydrogen peroxide were required to make the acid almost clear but still tinged slightly yellow.

The mixture was heated for several minutes the mixture boiled and produced dense white fumes but didn't darken. The mixture was heated for about 10-15 minutes until large plumes of fumes came over and the volume was back to about 100ml.

The result was 100ml of almost water clear sulfuric acid. :D"

grndpndr
National Hazard

[*] posted on 29-6-2009 at 13:28

Ive had almost Identical results with 500ml of slightly less discolored H2SO4 from a very old bottle of Rooto in a rental

Liquid fire in my area is slightly discolored a yellow tint with a viscosity of approx 20wgt motor oil not a reddish tint at all.
I suppose to assure what you bought last wk is similar to whats on the shelf this week is if thers a lot #.Find a good lot
stock up.Or find a garage/auto supply/e-company willing to sell bulk H2SO4 batt electrolyte.Best way in my limited experience to get good quality concentrated H2SO4.And at $9-$11 liter drain cleaner ,cost for a superior product isnt excessive.
grndpndr
National Hazard

[*] posted on 2-7-2009 at 07:06

Wish i had some friends who ejjoyed chemistry.phoned the nearest chem and janitorial supply asking for a gallon of tech grade H2SO4,turns out they had it but it was $118 gallon:o
Explanation was breaking 15gallon carboys down the cost skyrockets.i asked how much then the 15gallon carboy of 93% H2SO4 would cost delivered as im on thier truck route.
No shipping charges,$151/15 gallons delivered.:o
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 2-7-2009 at 12:11

15 gallons :O that's quite a lot of H2SO4...are you going to buy that much?

I tried out the H2O2 cleanup, it did leave me with nice clear acid but then I poured this into an old olive oil bottle for storage which I thought was clean...it made the acid go a strange light yellow colour, so I diluted it and poured it away which was a bit of a waste and I regret doing it.
There are several companies online that will sell reagent grade acid at reasonable prices and ship to home addresses, providing the rest of the order is not suspicious, one is lpchemicals.com
Sedit
International Hazard

Mood: Manic Expressive

[*] posted on 2-7-2009 at 12:28

I think I would if it came down to it and it was good acid.

@crazyboy

You can even get the acid much much clearer then that. If you heat it one a hot water bath for sometime until the minor fizzing of the H2O2 stops and then leave it to sit overnight or longer before boiling it down it will become water clear.
I have gotten into the habit of as soon as I get a new bottle of H2SO4 I add a couple caps of H2O2 and leave it sit for a couple days till its about the color of your pictures there. Then I heat it for about 2-3 hours on a water bath and leave it sit again. It normaly clears up completely overnight which I boil down till the thick fumes come over. At that point its ready to be rebottled in smaller containers so that I don't contaminate it with water every time I open the bottle.

Little excessive I know but I like the looks of the perfectly clear, high concentration acid I get from it because it lets me gadge the colors of reactions better for different things.

Question: I have some cheep Liquid Lightning H2SO4 around here that says "Virgin sulfuric acid with 12 buffers"

Any idea what the 12 buffers maybe and there effects on reactions. The MSDS was less then helpful and only stated 45% H2SO4 and H2O.

Knowledge is useless to useless people...

"I see a lot of patterns in our behavior as a nation that parallel a lot of other historical processes. The fall of Rome, the fall of Germany — the fall of the ruling country, the people who think they can do whatever they want without anybody else's consent. I've seen this story before."~Maynard James Keenan
grndpndr
National Hazard

[*] posted on 2-7-2009 at 21:00

I wouldn hate to buy that much but everwher ive checked
with cost which is minimal,$65 /5gallons with S+h+hazmat its near the $151! if i lived in a city i could quite easily rid myself of the majority OT than a few gallons for personal use
but 500 people has few chemists or much need for diluted electrolyte.Liquid lightning is $9+tax a liter plus a 80 mile drive.So far have found no outlets for bulk(2.5 gall.) batt electrolyte.Chances are real slim id buy 15 gallon carboy w/o a solid plan to rid myself of at least 12 gallons but as I cannot find electrolyte for sale on the internet, local garages or auto supply anymore andTech grade 93% is outrageous, Im wondering what youall are gonna do when H2SO4 Drain cleaner dissapears.Scrounge used batterys?Which ive done with successful labs:D Ive just tried the H202 cleanup in the last few days with a very old Rooto brand that wasnt to badly discolored until it was heated, then it turned a dark brown.Organics?Anyway i added weak 6% H2O2 to the cold
drain cleaner thyat eveninmg heated in the morning with a mild fizzing and a resulting water clear H2SO4! 500ml H2SO4
approx 5oml 6%+ H2O2.I 0nly had 3% H2O2 I froze more than 1/2 of water from resulting in approx 6% I assume.
benzylchloride1
Hazard to Others

Mood: Pushing the envelope of synthetic chemistry in one's basement

[*] posted on 3-7-2009 at 21:56

Sorry for taking so long, the sulfuric acid was Rooto brand and works well for synthesis.

Amateur NMR spectroscopist
 Pages:  1    3

Go To Top