Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Calcium aluminate dissolution in calcium chloride
bereal511
Hazard to Others

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 15-6-2008 at 10:14
Calcium aluminate dissolution in calcium chloride

Hey, I was curious as to whether or not calcium aluminate will dissolve in liquid calcium chloride. I'd like to build an electric furnace to melt calcium chloride and electrolyze it to calciu metal, but I'm not sure what suitable refractory material would work. If you guys have any inputs as to what to use, that would be great.

As an adolescent I aspired to lasting fame, I craved factual certainty, and I thirsted for a meaningful vision of human life -- so I became a scientist. This is like becoming an archbishop so you can meet girls.
-- Matt Cartmill
12AX7
Post Harlot

Mood: informative

[*] posted on 15-6-2008 at 12:02

Sure, why not.

I've heard magnesium chloride is unusually corrosive, requiring stuff like inconel to hold it. Calcium chloride is more ionic, but it's probably still troublesome. Fortunately there's nothing wrong with a steel crucible, which you can use as cathode.

Tim

Seven Transistor Labs LLC http://seventransistorlabs.com/
Electronic Design, from Concept to Layout.
Need engineering assistance? Drop me a message!
View user's profile Visit user's homepage View All Posts By User This user has MSN Messenger
garage chemist
chemical wizard

[*] posted on 15-6-2008 at 14:22

In the production of calcium by electrolysis, an eutectic of CaCl2 with another salt (I think it was BaCl2, not sure- don't have the book at hand) is used as the electrolyte to lower the required temperature to a point where the calcium is produced in solid form at the cathode. This would be ideal for a steel crucible as the cathode, giving the calcium as an adherent layer instead of it rising to the top and burning in the air.
Anode must be graphite, of course.
Originally, the cathode was a thin steel rod on which the solid calcium collected while the rod was gradually lifted upwards, slowly producing a thick rod of crude calcium metal.

The problem here is probably the high required temperature.
Have you thought about electrically heating the crucible from the outside? Putting a layer of refractory concrete around it, coiling nichrome or Kanthal wire around that, coating this again with concrete and wrapping it in kaowool or, cheaper, rockwool?
Remember, len1's highly successful castner cell used electrical heating of the NaOH container as well!

[Edited on 16-6-2008 by garage chemist]

www.versuchschemie.de
Das aktivste deutsche Chemieforum!
bereal511
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 17-6-2008 at 08:23

Ah, steel would not be a problem in this situation? Is there a type of steel most suitable for this operation?

I assume that the anode would have to be placed in such a way to avoid the evolving chlorine from attacking the metal. But let's just say that oxygen is also evolving from the anode. Would there be alternatives to graphite as an anode, or would I have to just settle with replacing it every so often as it burns up from oxygen?

I know that sodium chloride will form a eutectic to 550 degrees Celsius, but I'm not sure if sodium metal would be preferentially produced even if the voltage were much higher than the standard potential of calcium.

Hmmm, I'd forgotten about len1's castner cell, thank you for reminding me, I'll look into that thread. I'll probably refer back to the older threads on electric furnaces and electrochemical alkali production, but thank you for your help 12AX7 and garagechemist.

A note: My goal will not be to collect the calcium metal. I want the metal to dissolve in calcium chloride and run a preliminary test on the so called FFC Cambridge Process because I'm interested in applying the electrochemical process to armour production. My idea isn't particularly novel, but it'd be nice to be able to do some small scale work on refractory metals and ceramics that would otherwise require much larger setups. I'd like to be able to submit my results to the DARPA Armor Challenge. Anyone familiar with DARPA should know about the DARPA Grand Challenge (driverless cars).

[Edited on 17-6-2008 by bereal511]

As an adolescent I aspired to lasting fame, I craved factual certainty, and I thirsted for a meaningful vision of human life -- so I became a scientist. This is like becoming an archbishop so you can meet girls.
-- Matt Cartmill
not_important
International Hazard

[*] posted on 18-6-2008 at 17:14

If you're looking at FFC - the oxygen content of calcium aluminates seems to contribute to oxygen contaminate in the metals produced, as well as being attacked to some degree by the bath.

Small scale experimentation seems to use alumina containers, although they too can contribute oxygen. Stainless steel is the other material. Also I've read of a suggestion to line the vessel with TiO2 , with a buried conductive grid if needed, and reduce that at the start of production, making the container interior be metallic titanium.
bereal511
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 19-6-2008 at 10:25

Interesting. I haven't come across any articles suggesting lining the vessel with the material to be reduced to protect it. Would you happen to have the paper or a link?

-- Matt Cartmill

Go To Top