Sciencemadness Discussion Board
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Glassware identification/use help/opinions
Panache
International Hazard

Mood: Instead of being my deliverance, she had a resemblance to a Kat named Frankenstein

[*] posted on 17-6-2008 at 16:18
Glassware identification/use help/opinions

Hello all,
I get driven to distraction when i don't know what a piece of factory made glass is for. As is often the case though i end up with things from here or there that sit on my desk until i can figure out their use. The following items have been clogging up my desk for ages now, they are all sublime examples of the glassblowing technique and i would like to know what they are for. All are new and probably 20-30 years old
They all came from within boxes of stuff i got from a biochem department (unused and stored postgrad/postdoc/grant stuff etc.)
Any help would be great and i already know how crappy a photographer i am but feel free to comment on how poor my skills really are if you like.

ITEM 1
The only thing closely resembling this i could find is a ace vacuum adjustment piece of glass, however there are significant differences that would render this not useful for the purpose i believe. What particularly makes this difficult to understand is that the connection between the tube the tap is located on and the main body of the piece is not only for mechanic support/strengthening, it actually flows right through so i don't understand what the entire body tap section could be used for because gas would always flow through the quick path. The tap is solid but numbered STO 3 4/4, Interkey branded.
[img=50x50][/img]

ITEM 2
The tap on this piece of glass connects any two right angle joints together at once. Also the word '2.0ML' are etched ontot he horizontal section below the tap. The tube moving vertically upwards from the tap has a hose connection on it whereas horizontally downwards is a pipette type end. The stopper to the right of the horizontal section has spring hooks as does the corresponding seat. There is a small plug within this horizontal section that moves back and forth along its length.
I suppose that it somehow measures 2mL, oh i may have just figured it out! Its amazing how your brain makes different neural connections suddenly just because i am thinking about it while typing. Anyway if you know for sure or care to speculate.
[img=50x50][/img]

ITEM 3
I have two of these brand new. The company name on the side is 'A H T & Co, Philada, USA' which has unfortunately morphed from a speciality manufacturer (when this was made i assume) to a sales based business trying selling lab consumables. I emailed them but got no response not surprisingly. The left tap connects any two of the three branches at one time, whereas the right tap connects only two branches at right angles to one another together at one time. Taps are solid not hollow and the construction is very sturdy overall.
[img=50x50][/img]

ITEM 4
I have three of these. Quickfit branded. The tap is HV number matched and it connects the vertical, (silly me the right image is not upright so please turn your head ninety degrees when looking at that one) section to either of the horizontal branches or one could close the tap altogether. The branch to the right on the left image (which corresponds to the branch going vertically down on the right image) is a small vapour trap style section i think.
img=50x50][/img]

I have tried to describe as succinctly as i could. I hope someone may help so they can get off my desk and into my greater collection (if of no use) or into the lab (if of use). Thanking everyone in advance for their consideration of this stuff.

nodrog19
Harmless

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 27-6-2008 at 16:50

The second one could be a Schlenk volumetric pipet. Just a guess.
DJF90
International Hazard

[*] posted on 28-6-2008 at 03:53

Item 1 seems to be some sort of vacuum control or wash bottle perhaps, although the fact that there are two connections to the main body (as you said) is rather puzzling. Is the stopper just a hollow tube or is it sealed (its hard to tell from the picture)?

I would guess that item 2 is some sort of pipette for air sensitive materials, as nodrog19 suggests.

I'm still thinking about item 3; is that a ground glass joint on the left hand side?

Item 4 I am unsure about, although the size of the ground glass socket and cone suggest that it may be used for something small scale.
Panache
International Hazard

Mood: Instead of being my deliverance, she had a resemblance to a Kat named Frankenstein

[*] posted on 1-7-2008 at 19:00

Quote:
Originally posted by DJF90
Item 1 seems to be some sort of vacuum control or wash bottle perhaps, although the fact that there are two connections to the main body (as you said) is rather puzzling. Is the stopper just a hollow tube or is it sealed (its hard to tell from the picture)?

I would guess that item 2 is some sort of pipette for air sensitive materials, as nodrog19 suggests.

I'm still thinking about item 3; is that a ground glass joint on the left hand side?

Item 4 I am unsure about, although the size of the ground glass socket and cone suggest that it may be used for something small scale.

the stopper has indeed a hollow tube running from it, oddly with no hose nipples just straight walled very narrow opening.

item 3 has no ground glass joints, just slightly protruding rims.

I agree with both about item 2.

Panache
International Hazard

[*] posted on 27-8-2008 at 02:31

I have some answers for those interested.
Item 1 is a cartesian manostat for manitaining a constant pressure in a system. Mercury is used as the leveler.
Item 2 is indeed a schenck vol pipette
item 3 and 4 still nfi!!

jamit
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 28-4-2014 at 14:30

can someone help me identify the name and purpose of this glassware?

IMG_1735.jpg - 92kB IMG_1736.jpg - 79kB
jamit
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 28-4-2014 at 14:45

Here's another glassware that I have no idea as to its function and name. any suggestions? or any ideas what i can use it for?

IMG_1738.JPG - 142kB
Zephyr
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 28-4-2014 at 15:43

I believe the first piece of glassware jamit posted is a cold finger used in procedures such as the sublimation of iodine?

Sciencemadness Patches for sale! U2U me if you are interested.
http://imgur.com/a/QmpHn http://www.sciencemadness.org/talk/viewthread.php?tid=62566&...
jamit
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 28-4-2014 at 17:57

Quote: Originally posted by Pinkhippo11  
I believe the first piece of glassware jamit posted is a cold finger used in procedures such as the sublimation of iodine?

thank you for giving me your opinion but are you sure that's what it is? The size of this glassware is almost 20 inches and the top fits a 45/50 glass stopper. I doubt that its used as a cold finger. But thanks for the suggestion.

Go To Top