Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: A decent scale
raiden
Harmless

Mood: Curious

[*] posted on 18-6-2008 at 01:23
A decent scale

There comes a time when one's 1 gram resolution scale is not sufficient. I am now in the market for a new one and have around 100-150 dollars to burn. Would anyone be able to push me in the direction of a company which stocks good quality microgram scales and ships internationally/to Australia.

I was browsing over an article on making a cheap electric one, but I do not trust my hands when making said device.

Many thanks.
S.C. Wack
bibliomaster

Mood: Enhanced

[*] posted on 18-6-2008 at 02:26

Microgram? You must mean milligram. My microbalance (0.0000001-3.5000 g.) is probably 20 years old, and there is no fucking way that you are going to get it or anything like it for AU$150 from anyone ever. Unless it is stolen. The only real lab balances that you will likely find at that price are old Mettler's and Sartorius'. But you want a brand new digital scale, I bet. This would probably limit your options to wares such as those from www.myweigh.com.
raiden
Harmless

[*] posted on 18-6-2008 at 02:33

Quote:
Originally posted by S.C. Wack
Microgram? You must mean milligram. My microbalance (0.0000001-3.5000 g.) is probably 20 years old, and there is no fucking way that you are going to get it or anything like it for AU$150 from anyone ever. Unless it is stolen. The only real lab balances that you will likely find at that price are old Mettler's and Sartorius'. But you want a brand new digital scale, I bet. This would probably limit your options to wares such as those from www.myweigh.com.

My mistake, I meant milligram.

Just checking that my late night maths is correct: +/-0.001g that's what I am looking for, right?

Can you testify for the quality of this company?

Cheers.
raiden
Harmless

[*] posted on 18-6-2008 at 02:51

I am looking at something like this at the moment:
http://www.oldwillknottscales.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWP...

Is this a good price for a milligram scale?

I have noticed that they (0.001g scales) can be had on eBay for much cheaper, but I would say the quality would be subpar at most.
Saerynide
National Hazard

Mood: Ionic

[*] posted on 18-6-2008 at 08:56

Don't buy those el cheapo ones from ebay for $10-20 bucks. They don't work - trust me. I bought one for $50 bucks and I sent it back cause it couldnt measure even a calibration weight consistently :mad:

"Microsoft reserves the right at all times to monitor communications on the Service and disclose any information Microsoft deems necessary to... satisfy any applicable law, regulation or legal process"
Fleaker
International Hazard

Mood: nucleophilic

[*] posted on 20-6-2008 at 09:07

Best to wait until you've got AU400-500 and get a decent used one like an Ohaus, Sartorius, Mettler-Toledo, or Denver. Just make sure they're internal calibration and that the balance is packaged and shipped carefully.

Neither flask nor beaker.

"Kid, you don't even know just what you don't know. "
--The Dark Lord Sauron

Go To Top