Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Giant plants via gibberellic acid
hankdavis
Harmless

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 28-6-2008 at 22:22
Giant plants via gibberellic acid

I've been trying out gibberellic acid for some time on various plants. I have to say, this stuff is amazing (adult catnip plants will grow about 1" a day for a week after one exposure of 500 ppm solution), though somewhat difficult to handle. Because differences in concentration, plant age, species, delivery method, and frequency all elicit huge differences in the resulting growth (or lack thereof), it's been tedious to find out how much to use and when. Has anyone had successful experience using gibberellic acid?

I've found this so far with a 500 ppm spray:

Sunflower (Mammoth) -- 1 exposure, accelerated growth, any age. Stem may become too long to support plant and will require staking.

Tomato (Assorted types) -- 1-4 exposures, somewhat enhanced growth, adult. Nothing impressive, but I heard higher concentrations cause fruiting.

Pepper (Jalapeno, Chile, Bell) -- 1-4 exposures, less effective than on the tomato, any age.

Basil (Sweet basil) -- 1-2 exposures, accelerated growth, adult. Made the foliage and height explode.

Cucumber (All varieties) -- 1-2 exposures, accelerated growth, seedling. Timing is essential with this one. Apply right after the third leaf appears. This seems to work on pumpkins, gourds, and watermelon vines as well.

Lettuce (Romaine) -- 1-3 exposures, accelerated growth, seedling. United nuclear mentions this as an experiment and says the plants get monstrously huge. I only saw a modest difference, but then again its a miracle lettuce survives here in the south.

Catnip -- 1-daily exposure, rapidly accelerated growth, any age. I got the most noticeable effects from this one, the treated plant is now a bush. Catnip doesn't seem to mind overdose either, too bad its a useless plant to me.

I you're curious, you can get practically a lifetime supply on ebay for $20.

\"When you use a quote, put a famous name on the end, that\'s where all the jazz is!\" -- Jesus
The_Davster
A pnictogen

Mood: .

[*] posted on 28-6-2008 at 23:14

It increased germination percentages for habenero seeds, while like you, I did not notice any inordinate amount of growth of the plants.

hankdavis
Harmless

[*] posted on 29-6-2008 at 00:47

Yeah, I think its common in the lab to use a 250+ ppm soak to increase the viability of seeds. I forgot to add that desert plants and any plants with waxy foliage don't seem to respond to the spray. It probably never gets absorbed...

\"When you use a quote, put a famous name on the end, that\'s where all the jazz is!\" -- Jesus
dr. nick
Hazard to Self

Mood: yes

[*] posted on 29-6-2008 at 05:57

hey!
nice to see someone actually experimenting with this stuff. i'm searching for a way to selectively enhance the growth of the "fruits" (any kind, also blossoms, and so on, depending on the plant) and was orienting on plant cell cultures and how these growth factors are used there. they also say with several plants it enhances the growth spraying the fruit stand with tryptophan solution. also combinations of the usual growth factors may work wonder as the standard opinion is that several of the factors don't work alone, like e.g. kinetin without IAA (not my opinion, but i have to belive what i read by now)

growing plants with almost no stem and only giant fruit stands would be my goal -
preferred from plant cell cultures acted on with antifungicides and antibiotcs to be able to use them outside a steril environment.

probably pretty unrealistic, but who knows - it's an old dream of mine :)

of course you can well i couldn\'t before
crazyboy
Hazard to Others

Mood: Marginally insane

[*] posted on 29-6-2008 at 17:16

I got 5g of GA3 (90% gibberellic acid) for my miracle fruit plant (another little project of mine) I've been using 300ppm virtually zero effect after 1 week I sprayed it on a small tomato plant and it shot up nothing amazing but it grew a few inches. I'm thinking about upping the dosage to 500ppm.

Dr.3vil
Hazard to Self

Mood: 4He + 8.7 MeV

[*] posted on 30-6-2008 at 06:02
Success with jade

I treated a jade plant with 500+PPM (i dont recall the exact concentration however it was only treated with a total of 100ml over the course of a week or so) when compared to a control plant there was a noticeable increase in leaf size. From what I have read, it would seem that the bugs bunny carrot effect is only achieved with high concentrations.

DR.3vil

- Paper chemistry works the first time every time -
hankdavis
Harmless

[*] posted on 30-6-2008 at 22:28

The only thing keeping me from going nuts with the ppms is that GA can stunt plants by interfering with other types of growth if too strong. Just to see what would happen, I soaked down one of the stray watermelon seedlings in the backyard until it was dripping GA solution and when I checked it this morning, it hadn't just grown, everything looked like it had been resized 2x. The first leaves became unnaturally broad and are now about as thick as a nickel.

I wish I could get my hands on some of the other growth regulators. Take a look at this abstract for more info on GA and the "Bugs" carrot:

http://aob.oxfordjournals.org/cgi/content/abstract/43/4/501

Hm, seems GA inhibits root growth...

MagicJigPipe
International Hazard

Mood: Suspicious

[*] posted on 5-7-2008 at 00:24

There is this liquid "fertilizer" that is sold at Wal-Mart called "SuperThrive". Does this have gibberellic acid in it? If not then what IS in it? All I know is that it smells awful. (almost metallic).

"There must be no barriers to freedom of inquiry ... There is no place for dogma in science. The scientist is free, and must be free to ask any question, to doubt any assertion, to seek for any evidence, to correct any errors. ... We know that the only way to avoid error is to detect it and that the only way to detect it is to be free to inquire. And we know that as long as men are free to ask what they must, free to say what they think, free to think what they will, freedom can never be lost, and science can never regress." -J. Robert Oppenheimer
not_important
International Hazard

[*] posted on 5-7-2008 at 03:57

Not much is publically known, no MSDS or such. Best starting point seems to be the near sales blurb on WiKipedia, which says
Quote:
It contains 50 vitamins and hormones. Two listed on the bottle are, ".09% Vitamin B1; .048% 1-Napthyl acetic acid,"

1-Napthyl acetic acid is a a rooting agent.
ssdd
Hazard to Others

Mood: Hypergolic

[*] posted on 28-9-2008 at 05:35

I know this post is kind of late but somewhere further up someone had mentioned wanting to get some different PGR's. I have done a lot of tissue culturing and these are the places I have used that have good prices:

http://www.phytotechlab.com/searchresult.aspx?categoryid=10
http://www.kitchenculturekit.com/Catalog.htm

Hope these help,
-ssdd

All that glitters may not be gold, but at least it contains free electrons.
-- John Desmond Baernal
http://deepnorth.info/
StevenRS
Hazard to Self

[*] posted on 19-10-2008 at 15:01

Does anyone here have the ability to test the stuff on kudzu? That might be interesting.

Go To Top