Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: 4-dimethylaminopyridine
conducter
Hazard to Self

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 8-7-2008 at 05:41
4-dimethylaminopyridine

so i need this chemical in minute amounts, 10 grams or so.

I know of a place to but it but its over 100 dollars for more 25 grams.

Is there a cheaper way to make this or perhaps purchase it for some photography or other purposes?
Sauron
International Hazard

Mood: metastable

[*] posted on 8-7-2008 at 07:22

This stuff is very toxic.

If you buy it, buy it in prilled form, easily handles, easily recovered.

You could hurt yourself very badly trying to prepare it.

Sic gorgeamus a los subjectatus nunc.
conducter
Hazard to Self

[*] posted on 8-7-2008 at 12:49

oh wow i had no idea, is it like deadly or anything i should have to worry about? I was planning on using 1 gram amounts as a catylast. and then removing it from the mixture afterwards with water washes.

Any more info on how dangerous it is or what can be done to protect self would be great
Sauron
International Hazard

[*] posted on 8-7-2008 at 13:16

DMAP is as you know a really good catalyst for acetylations.

Its very high toxicity is du it also being a potent calcium channel blocker, if memory serves. Yes, deadly and with a very low LD50.

Google on 4-dimethylaminopyridine toxicity and you will get an eyeful.

conducter
Hazard to Self

[*] posted on 8-7-2008 at 14:37

something that gloves, face mask, eye protectors and skin tight clothing couldnt handle? it was going to be quickly measured, added to test tube, and immediatly added to dichloromethane before adding the substrate along with acetylation chem. then quickly seal reaction, and wash with water and discard water. i think if a little safety is used, this could be okay. i have handled Mercuric chloride, probably just as toxic and deadly as 4-DMAP.

Plus i believe the place i am getting it from actually does have it in prill form, hopefully this doesnt impede reaction

[Edited on 8-7-2008 by conducter]
ShadowWarrior4444
Hazard to Others

Mood: Sunlight on a pure white wall.

[*] posted on 8-7-2008 at 19:42

Quote:
Originally posted by conducter
something that gloves, face mask, eye protectors and skin tight clothing couldnt handle? it was going to be quickly measured, added to test tube, and immediatly added to dichloromethane before adding the substrate along with acetylation chem. then quickly seal reaction, and wash with water and discard water. i think if a little safety is used, this could be okay. i have handled Mercuric chloride, probably just as toxic and deadly as 4-DMAP.

Plus i believe the place i am getting it from actually does have it in prill form, hopefully this doesnt impede reaction

[Edited on 8-7-2008 by conducter]

It might be prudent to read the MSDS carefully for any special precautions. LD50 is only one component of hazard; if the MSDS indicates that this chemical likes to diffuse through nitrile gloves, that would be something to keep in mind.

I also personally keep a large stock of various antidotes and treatments, just incase. You may which to have one on hand for the specific chemicals you are working with.

A bit of my photography (usually chemisty/physics inspired): ShadowWarrior4444.deviantart.com/gallery
Sauron
International Hazard

[*] posted on 8-7-2008 at 20:28

MSDS are often written by lobotomized baboons.

Read the literature. Screw the MSDS. If the product is for human consumption or is a precursor for such read the pharmaceutical literature to see if DMAP is pharmaceutically acceptable and for details on how to remove it rigorously from product.

DMAP has no use that I know of other than as a catalyst for acylations. The prilled form works fine.

ShadowWarrior4444
Hazard to Others

Mood: Sunlight on a pure white wall.

[*] posted on 9-7-2008 at 17:26

Quote:
Originally posted by Sauron
MSDS are often written by lobotomized baboons.

Read the literature. Screw the MSDS. If the product is for human consumption or is a precursor for such read the pharmaceutical literature to see if DMAP is pharmaceutically acceptable and for details on how to remove it rigorously from product.

DMAP has no use that I know of other than as a catalyst for acylations. The prilled form works fine.

One would hope that a scientist would read all relevant literature regarding a synthesis he wished to perform, this includes any MSDS involved.

Regardless of the mental faculties available to the author, it is the responsibility of the person reading it to pull out any kernels of use or inspiration.

(Ex. If the MSDS was lit up with incompatibilities, or other things of note, it might prompt further research.)

A bit of my photography (usually chemisty/physics inspired): ShadowWarrior4444.deviantart.com/gallery
Sauron
International Hazard

[*] posted on 9-7-2008 at 21:21

If you collect all the relevant literature on a synthesis, and that means on the target, the reaction, and the precursors, you will already have all the information that is in the MSDS. MSDS are written for idiots by idiots in my opinion. They are a bureaucratically mandated piece of rubbish that insults the intelligence of any competent worker. Obviously some are better written than others but I regard them all as in the same class as instructions for pouring piss out of a boot that are taped to the sole.

They are uninformation at its worst.

MSDS are like badly done Cliff's Notes.

If you do a proper preparation for a synth you will have far more information than is contained in any MSDS. MSDS are sophomoric at best, lobotomized at worst. The sort of people who need them are people who should not be in a lab in first place because clearly they have not been trained at all. Other than being trained to read MSDS.

[Edited on 10-7-2008 by Sauron]

Go To Top