Sciencemadness Discussion Board
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Painless pyridine hydrochloride production possible?
Douchermann
Hazard to Others

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 19-7-2008 at 01:12
Painless pyridine hydrochloride production possible?

I've spent a few hours determining the best method I have available to produce pyridine hydrochloride. So far a 50:50 methanol:pyridine mixture has worked the best, but the best is not the greatest yet. Also, it is ridiculously deliquescent, visibly dissolving in it's own water as I try to put it in a container. Is it possibly to dry it out in an oven at sub melting point temps (below 140C). Vacuum dessicators are out of the question, and is there anything I can add to the methanol to precipitate it out. If ether is added, it just forms two distinct layers even through thorough agitation. If the HCl(g) is just bubbled into pyridine, it clogs the tube with crystals - same goes for ether solutions of pyridine. I'm basically just looking for tips or tricks or personal experiences. Thanks in advance.

It\'s better to be pissed off than to be pissed on.
Sauron
International Hazard

Mood: metastable

[*] posted on 19-7-2008 at 01:38

Yes it is very hygroscopic and the only way to keep it dry is to prepare it in an inert atmosphere in anhydrous conditions and store it that way. That means N2 or Ar cylinder, glove box or dry bag, etc. It is a whole lot easier to buy!

Because of its unfortunte properties it has long been the bane of procedure in which pyridine is used as an acid scavenger, so much so that non-hygroscopic teriary amine substites such as diethylaniline are often used because they are easier to filter off. The pyridine salt just goes liquid in the filter and gets sucked back into the product. Ugh.

Sic gorgeamus a los subjectatus nunc.
Douchermann
Hazard to Others

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 19-7-2008 at 09:47

Would an oven at least turn it from soup into a more solid mass? I figured, I could do the filtering inside, where the air conditioning sucks up most of the moisture, but do the gassing outside. I deffinitely would buy it, but I'm out of money at the moment, and it's expensive for the amount I need. Thanks for your help by the way.

It\'s better to be pissed off than to be pissed on.

Go To Top