Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2
Author: Subject: Iodine preparation for who needs it
kilowatt
Hazard to Others

Mood: nitric

[*] posted on 30-7-2008 at 10:24

Quote:

I doubt EVERY iodine compound will be regulated. I am sure there is something we can oxidize to obtain iodine. I mean iodine is an antiseptic

A very highly regulated antiseptic... Well you can still buy a tiny bottle of 1% povidone iodine, at least for now, but that doesn't do us much good. For example every possible plutonium compound is regulated on the basis that it simply contains plutonium, so why can't iodine be similar? If it contains iodine, it's gonna be illegal to have (at least without the proper permits), regardless of what it is.

Who would have ever thought 20 years ago that such a common and inconspicuous element such as iodine would be so heavily regulated? It was considered a staple of every first aid kit, medicine cabinet, camping supplies, etc. Perhaps in the future other compounds and elements that we take for granted will be regulated or banned. I think one we will very likely see this happen to soon is urea. Urea is an easy source of ammonia, and it can be used to make the explosive urea nitrate. Sodium bicarbonate is another that some law makers have already begun targeting, even though it is a staple of every kitchen. In the state of Missouri they already tried once (and fortunately failed) to move it behind the counter and require ID and to purchase. A couple years ago I was able to purchase 5lb jugs of KMnO4 at a water treatment shop, but who knows how much longer it will be available if it even still is. For whatever unforseen reasons, perhaps even KCl (as salt substitute, water softener, or ice melt salt), CaCl2, and equally innocuous chemicals will become regulated. Coal and charcoal perhaps too. If it can happen to iodine and ammonia and ammonium nitrate surely it can happen to them. All that has to happen is for law makers to catch on that a chemical can, either hypothetically or in practice by some roundabout way, be used to make a drug or explosive or a helper chemical used in the preparation of such. Almost every conceivable element or compound falls under this category.

The mind cannot decide the truth; it can only find the truth.
chloric1
International Hazard

Mood: Stoichiometrically Balanced

[*] posted on 31-7-2008 at 02:24

I sincerely hope that it does not get so bad that even KCl is regulated. But as a rule, when I government starts restriscting things, the list just expands. It all started in the 1970's with anthranilic acid and a handful of other chemicals only to be followed by much more. In a way its very bad now because it seems like its better to stockpile and not use what you buy. So we all have heavy stashes of reagents we don't use so we don't lose and in the end it is like we never had them to begin with:( I have a red substance that I purchased just after it went restrcted and now I feel compelled to keep it because of its enourmous monetary value. I can probably trade it for a distillation setup and then some. What will I do?!:o

Fellow molecular manipulator
Ritter
Hazard to Others

Mood: Curious

[*] posted on 2-8-2008 at 13:19

Iodine is available still on eBay, item #170246136775, about $55 for 100 gm. You can also find NaI & KI there.

[Edited on 2-8-2008 by Ritter]

Ritter
=============================
\"The production of too many useful things results in too many useless people.\"

Karl Marx
16MillionEyes
Hazard to Others

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 10-8-2008 at 19:10

"Well, and not to mention the news I was reading about Iran planning to detonate a nuclear bomb miles ABOVE the US to generate a giant EMP pulse taking us back to the bygone days of the early 19th century."

And you honestly believe that? Iran doesn't even have nuclear weapons and now they say that they're planning to blow it above U.S' airspace? Hahaha. Mass discommunication media is going beyond cynic nowadays...What paper/source was this?

Sorry for the unrelated rant but it seems curious how outlandish reports like that actually get through the public.

On a more related note, pure NaOH is hard to get (even impossible) in hardware stores so what Thompson claimed as being "unregulated" is not all that true. Does anybody remember Red Devil (U.S)? It was pushed out of the market by restrictions, not low sales. Day by day all the chemistry that will be eventually allowed to be done at home is egg boiling--with amazing protein denaturation! Woah kids, look at the boiled egg, surely this will make you pursue a chemistry career. :(
joeflsts
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 10-8-2008 at 19:20

Quote:
Originally posted by __________
"Well, and not to mention the news I was reading about Iran planning to detonate a nuclear bomb miles ABOVE the US to generate a giant EMP pulse taking us back to the bygone days of the early 19th century."

And you honestly believe that? Iran doesn't even have nuclear weapons and now they say that they're planning to blow it above U.S' airspace? Hahaha. Mass discommunication media is going beyond cynic nowadays...What paper/source was this?

Sorry for the unrelated rant but it seems curious how outlandish reports like that actually get through the public.

On a more related note, pure NaOH is hard to get (even impossible) in hardware stores so what Thompson claimed as being "unregulated" is not all that true. Does anybody remember Red Devil (U.S)? It was pushed out of the market by restrictions, not low sales. Day by day all the chemistry that will be eventually allowed to be done at home is egg boiling--with amazing protein denaturation! Woah kids, look at the boiled egg, surely this will make you pursue a chemistry career. :(

And yet, ACE Hardware simply replaced Red Devil with another brand of pure NaOH. Those restrictions apparently only applied to the manufacturer of Red Devil.

There is no question that buying chemicals is getting harder. It is YOUR responsibility to help hobbiests by giving them factual information. If not why bother to post?

Joe
16MillionEyes
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 29-9-2008 at 17:32

Quote:
There is no question that buying chemicals is getting harder. It is YOUR responsibility to help hobbiests by giving them factual information. If not why bother to post?

I don't think I understand what you mean. Are you telling me to give factual information and if it's me, how am I giving false information? Red Devil was pulled out of the market due to regulations (I read this somewhere), whether other products selling pure NaOH are available OTC that's a different thing, in fact, I own a bottle of ACE's NaOH which I found out of pure luck.
 Pages:  1  2

Go To Top