Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2
Author: Subject: Nitromethane -> Fulminates
PHILOU Zrealone
International Hazard

Mood: Bis-diazo-dinitro-hydroquinonic

[*] posted on 15-12-2016 at 15:41

Quote: Originally posted by Tetra  
Hi all, doubt anyone will see this, but it's worth a try. I did the same thing as you all, but subbed the water with Methanol. I got a yellow soln with yellow granular crystals at this bottom, in considerable amount. I soaked up the MeOH w/ a napkin and stored it damp with Methanol in a plastic chem bottle. Not sure, but it looks to be about twenty grams. Since it isn't dry, (and soaked with Methanol) it burns off the Methanol and then sputters, like it wants to self sustain. I haven't tried any other tests, but I'll update when I get around to it. Any thoughts, pointers, or suggestions are appreciated.

-T / AzideN3

What did you do precisely?...there are a lot of experiments exposed above
--> NaOH, methanol and NM?
The white precipitate is more likely sodium methazonate or nitronate (or a mix of the two).
When dry and submitted to a flame it explodes. IIRC the experiment was performed by "Explosions-and-Fire" on YouTube but video has probably been banned owing to last YT regulations.

[Edited on 16-12-2016 by PHILOU Zrealone]

PH Z (PHILOU Zrealone)

"Physic is all what never works; Chemistry is all what stinks and explodes!"-"Life that deadly disease, sexually transmitted."(W.Allen)
Tdep
National Hazard

Mood: PhD is done! It isn't good but it's over lol

[*] posted on 15-12-2016 at 19:07

Hey, yeah the Nitromethane got a strike. You can view it here though https://vimeo.com/178184154 The experiment in question is at about 1:15. I use sodium ethoxide in the clip but it also worked with sodium hydroxide.

Also, a side note, things have settled down on youtube. I've put all my explosive videos back up and they've been there for a few weeks without strikes. It just seemed to be a month of a blitz of strikes and then calm. Strange.
S.C. Wack
bibliomaster

Mood: Enhanced

[*] posted on 24-12-2016 at 09:36

...An aqueous solution of sodic nitromethane (10 grams) is added rapidly to a cold mercuric chloride solution (containing 16 grams HgCl2). After standing 15 minutes, the solution (300-500 c.cm.) is heated to boiling and quickly filtered from the yellow precipitate, which is then boiled out once with hot water. On cooling, a grayish white heavy crystalline precipitate separates out from the filtrate. In order to get rid of traces of adhering mercury, it is dissolved in dilute cyanide of potash and reprecipitated with dilute nitric acid. In this way perfectly pure fulminate of mercury is obtained, which is absolutely identical in every respect with the product made in the ordinary way. The yield is 1 gram to 1.6 grams pure salt from 10 grams sodic nitromethane.

...A yellow compound insoluble in water is, in all cases, the chief product of the action between aqueous solutions of sodic nitromethane and mercuric chloride; in fact only by the above mentioned method is it possible to obtain fulminate of mercury in appreciable amounts. If the corrosive sublimate solution is heated, before adding the sodic nitromethane solution, or if the former solution is added to the latter solution, not a trace of mercuric fulminate can be isolated, and much yellow insoluble mercury salt is formed. The composition of this yellow salt varies also according to whether the mercuric chloride solution is added to a solution of the sodium salt, or vice versa. In the latter case, the salt obtained contains much more carbon and nitrogen.

Basic Mercuric Carbondioxidoxime

On the addition of a solution of mercuric chloride (containing 16 grams HgCl2) to a cold aqueous solution of sodic nitromethane (10 grams), a white precipitate is formed which, after an hour's standing, has become perfectly yellow. The solution is decanted, and the residue is repeatedly treated with boiling water, and then dried on clay plates, and finally at 100°. The latter operation must be carried on with all possible precautions, since it happened several times that the salt exploded, demolishing the air bath and the windows of the hood. The yield from 10 grams sodium salt was regularly from 8 to 10 grams. The salt is, at ordinary temperatures, not quite so dangerous as mercuric fulminate, but it often explodes by friction. It is absolutely free from chlorine and contains no hydrogen : digestion with dilute sulphuric or with dilute nitric acid, in which it is insoluble, does not change the composition of the salt.

The salt is instantly decomposed by dilute hydrochloric acid, forming calomel, carbonic acid, and a substance having a smell like prussic acid, but not a trace of nitrous oxide is formed. Concentrated hydrochloric acid decomposes the salt into carbonic acid and hydroxylaminehydrochloride (proved by conversion into acetoxime). The salt is very soluble in dilute cyanide of potash, and on addition of dilute nitric acid no precipitate is formed. It was at first long suspected that the salt was basic fulminate of mercury, but it is not possible in any way to convert this salt into normal fulminic acid salts...

On the Constitution of the Nitroparaffine Salts
J. U. Nef
Proc. Amer. Acad. 30, 124 (1895)

"You're going to be all right, kid...Everything's under control." Yossarian, to Snowden
Rhodanide
Hazard to Others

Mood: That retro aesthetic

[*] posted on 3-1-2017 at 06:43

Quote: Originally posted by PHILOU Zrealone  
Quote: Originally posted by Tetra  
Hi all, doubt anyone will see this, but it's worth a try. I did the same thing as you all, but subbed the water with Methanol. I got a yellow soln with yellow granular crystals at this bottom, in considerable amount. I soaked up the MeOH w/ a napkin and stored it damp with Methanol in a plastic chem bottle. Not sure, but it looks to be about twenty grams. Since it isn't dry, (and soaked with Methanol) it burns off the Methanol and then sputters, like it wants to self sustain. I haven't tried any other tests, but I'll update when I get around to it. Any thoughts, pointers, or suggestions are appreciated.

-T / AzideN3

What did you do precisely?...there are a lot of experiments exposed above
--> NaOH, methanol and NM?
The white precipitate is more likely sodium methazonate or nitronate (or a mix of the two).
When dry and submitted to a flame it explodes. IIRC the experiment was performed by "Explosions-and-Fire" on YouTube but video has probably been banned owing to last YT regulations.

[Edited on 16-12-2016 by PHILOU Zrealone]

150 mL MeOH, dissolved 20 mL NM into it, slowly added 10 grams fresh NaOH to it over the period of 10 minutes with stirring. Only a slight clear->yellow color change was noticed. I left the mixture overnight in a cold area (Below 0°C), which formed a yellow granular precipitate (previously mentioned) that deflagrated with a "Poof" and a decent amount of smoke when a flame was applied directly. (This is when it was dry) Another thing which I noticed was not only did the solid stay a deep yellow color, (as opposed to changing to brown, like what Na Nitromethanate/Nitronate is supposedly supposed to do when in air) but it didn't detonate nor have any noticeable reaction with water. (Again, like Na NM-ate is allegedly supposed to do. I'm not sure exactly, but it sounds like PhZ may be right about it being Methazonate)
 Pages:  1  2

Go To Top