Sciencemadness Discussion Board
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
 Pages:  1    3
Author: Subject: What reagent would you like to see an illustrated guide for?
len1
National Hazard

Mood: NZ 1 (goal) - Italy 1 (dive)

[*] posted on 9-8-2008 at 19:41

Thank you everyone for the suggestions. I decided to start with the following

1) potassium via castner
2) SOCl2 - this has already been started but needs improvement
3) LiAlH4

They wore chosen because they present an opportunity for original research (with none particularly well researched for lab synth) and because their synthesis might present an interest for research labs as well due to price/restrictions/haz chem (I want to shift the emphasis in what I do slightly towards the professional realm partly because there are not many people doing amateur chemistry, partly because one has to move on)

[Edited on 10-8-2008 by len1]
Panache
International Hazard

Mood: Instead of being my deliverance, she had a resemblance to a Kat named Frankenstein

[*] posted on 27-8-2008 at 00:08

What about a benchtop micro NH3 plant using the Haber process. Or maybe a small fusion generator, supplying both helium and power to the lab.
btw those suggestions were simply compliments to your ingenuity not serious suggestions, however if you have any ideas.....

benzylchloride1
Hazard to Others

Mood: Pushing the envelope of synthetic chemistry in one's basement

[*] posted on 28-8-2008 at 17:30

The synthesis of O-Phenylenediamine from a phthalate ester via ammonolysis and a duble Hoffman reaction would be a useful synthesis. O-phenylenediamine would be useful for synthesisizing many useful heterocycles and ligands for use in inorganic chemistry. I am currently working on this synthesis, but the ammonolysis is taking some time.
Sauron
International Hazard

Mood: metastable

[*] posted on 28-8-2008 at 22:09

Well, o-phenylenediamine, once you have it, is very easily oxidized and so presents problems in purification, handline and storage.

Normally it is prepared starting from aniline, by blocking the 4-position via sulphonation, then nitrating selectively at the 2-position. Removing the sulphonic acid group at 4 position leaves o-nitroaniline. This is readily reduced to o-phenylenediamine. See Org.Syn.

BTW, I have a Kg of Merck o-phenylenediamine and they store it in dark bottles wrapped in opaque black plastic, because it is light sensitive.

It is also a nasty hepatotoxin, more so than aniline.

Sic gorgeamus a los subjectatus nunc.
Formatik
National Hazard

Mood: equilibrium

[*] posted on 29-8-2008 at 13:39
some belated organic ideas

The synthesis of sulfoxides (DMSO, DESO, etc), or furfural (I know of the OrgSyn synthesis, but seeing it demonstrated is another thing).
benzylchloride1
Hazard to Others

Mood: Pushing the envelope of synthetic chemistry in one's basement

[*] posted on 31-8-2008 at 10:07

Another idea would be the synthesis of mono nitro toluene isomers and the separation of the isomers along with the production of the respective toluidines.
Panache
International Hazard

Mood: Instead of being my deliverance, she had a resemblance to a Kat named Frankenstein

[*] posted on 1-9-2008 at 02:57

actually a serious request would be BF3 in ether, now that would be great!!!

Klute
International Hazard

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 1-9-2008 at 07:37

I think BBr3 might be easier to form than BF3? Although they don't have the same properties IIRC.

\"You can battle with a demon, you can embrace a demon; what the hell can you do with a fucking spiritual computer?\"

-Alice Parr
OMG
Harmless

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 5-9-2008 at 12:21

I think the best payoff would be to put effort into finding a good way to produce ozone. If ozone could be easily produced with enough speed, then it would make chemical acquisition a lot easier IMO.
kilowatt
Hazard to Others

Mood: nitric

[*] posted on 5-9-2008 at 12:53

I second that. In theory ozone is one of the most amazing and versatile synthesis agents. Nitric and sulfuric acids and their anhydrides in particular come to mind. However I remain skeptical that it could be produced cheaply in enough molar quantity to be useful in any such syntheses.

The mind cannot decide the truth; it can only find the truth.
 Pages:  1    3

Go To Top